Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Next Year  (Read 7164 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Big East Next Year
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
Now we don't. You will never "need" to add the 4th best public school in a state.

Boom!

Agree. No public schools. We can thrive without them.

Bam!

Skip VCU.  I'm willing to add a public school if it's, say, UCONN, Cincy, Lville, and maybe Temple because costs may outweigh the benefits, but VCwho? 

1)  They're still riding on the wave of the Flutie Effect (who knows what happens when it wears off)
2)  They may be tempted to add football, regardless of them never getting BCS ties (they have 31k+ students)
3)  Don't fit academically
4)  Freedom of Information concerns (maybe overblown, but it's there nonetheless)
5)  They hung a "havoc" banner for pete's sake

There is a reason the presidents haven't added them and Georgetown is pushing for RICHMOND for market/balance, not VCU.  Let's trust our ADs and Presidents on this one.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I also think that Depaul is getting Abdel Nader who is transfering. For those of you who dont know who he is he was recruited by us and a lot of other big time programs such as Baylor, USC, New Mexico and Ole Miss. The kid can flat out score and would be a huge get for Depaul.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
I know we have a good recruiting class comming in, but I recall the folks who follow Butler believe their recruits coming in will make them competitive next year as well. Nova and Gtown always recruit well too. So its not just who is returning but who is coming in as well.

We have the best returnees and the best recruits by far.  It's going to be weird to be the hunted.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
Yikes. Looking at Creighton's recruiting lately, they'll really need to step it up. They've really been finding success with two star diamonds in the rough, which seemed to work well in the MVC, but I don't see consistent success in the Big East with that recruiting approach.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
I also think that Depaul is getting Abdel Nader who is transfering. For those of you who dont know who he is he was recruited by us and a lot of other big time programs such as Baylor, USC, New Mexico and Ole Miss. The kid can flat out score and would be a huge get for Depaul.

Are you talking about the Abdel Nader who played for NIU?

If so, it's fortunate for us that he bricks twice for every made shot.  33% shooting (not 3FG%, but FG%) against MAC level defenses.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
Are you talking about the Abdel Nader who played for NIU?

If so, it's fortunate for us that he bricks twice for every made shot.  33% shooting (not 3FG%, but FG%) against MAC level defenses.

Yes but add him to a group that's got 5 seniors I believe 2 of which are legit good players + a top 100 recruit coming in.  I think they may actually manage a bubble season before they return to the cellar (see 2007) 
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
I know we have a good recruiting class comming in, but I recall the folks who follow Butler believe their recruits coming in will make them competitive next year as well. Nova and Gtown always recruit well too. So its not just who is returning but who is coming in as well.

I looked at not only returning players but also incoming recruits. On paper, we have far and away the best recruiting class. Honestly, Jajuan Johnson alone would be a better recruiting class than almost anyone else in the league. The top three HS recruits in the Big East 2013 class are all coming to Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Yes but add him to a group that's got 5 seniors I believe 2 of which are legit good players + a top 100 recruit coming in.  I think they may actually manage a bubble season before they return to the cellar (see 2007) 

Melvin and Young are not that good. They don't play any defense, nor do they make timely shots. Yes, the scoring looks great, but their career conference record is 6-48. That makes me wonder how good they actually are.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »

Yea well nobody else on that Northern team is any good. He is a really, really good player. I honestly think hes much better than Melvin.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
I do not think St. John's will make the tournament under Lavin. Good recruiter, but he is not a good coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
I do not think St. John's will make the tournament under Lavin. Good recruiter, but he is not a good coach.

They made the tournament in Lavin's first year.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
This is why we need Dayton. It sounds ridiculous but we need some teams at bottom to give the Xaviers and Creightons a legitimate chance at the NCAA tournament, and our conference a chance at getting 6 bids.

Do you think the A-10 gets as many teams in this year without Fordham, Duquesne and Dayton in the conference? Take out those 3 teams, La Salle doesn't make the tournament and their Sweet 16 run never happens.
I kind've see where you are going at, but La Salle had some big wins this season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
They made the tournament in Lavin's first year.
Correct, plus the guy was out the whole season in 2011-12 for cancer.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
Yikes. Looking at Creighton's recruiting lately, they'll really need to step it up. They've really been finding success with two star diamonds in the rough, which seemed to work well in the MVC, but I don't see consistent success in the Big East with that recruiting approach.

Our recruiting will improve.  We have Desmond Lee (one of the top JUCOs left) on campus today for a visit.  Seems like it's between us, Baylor and NC State.  I don't think he would have visited if we weren't in the Big East.  We've narrowly missed on some top recruits recently, most notably, Pierre Jackson who was down to us and Baylor.  Our 2013 recruits are all 3 star players, not ranked; however 2 of the 3 had many BCS offers so they were good.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
Providence is top 5, for sure.

Creighton will slip below 7 if McDermott goes to NBA.

Xavier returns a lot, but struggled in 2012-13.

Seton Hall a lock at No. 10.

DePaul has talent, but poor coaching and plays no defense.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
By the way, I'm about 99 percent certain McDermott will go to the NBA.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
Our recruiting will improve.  We have Desmond Lee (one of the top JUCOs left) on campus today for a visit.  Seems like it's between us, Baylor and NC State.  I don't think he would have visited if we weren't in the Big East.  We've narrowly missed on some top recruits recently, most notably, Pierre Jackson who was down to us and Baylor.  Our 2013 recruits are all 3 star players, not ranked; however 2 of the 3 had many BCS offers so they were good.

So Jet.... is McDermott (the player of course!)  gone?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
I kind've see where you are going at, but La Salle had some big wins this season.

No doubt, but take away those 3 games against the bottom feeders and they are 8-5 in the A-10. That doesn't get you a bid.

What I'm essentially saying is you need quality wins AND a quantity of wins. I think the new Big East will have plenty of opportunities for quality wins, paired with a solid non-conference schedule. Now they need to add a Dayton to allow the Villanovas and Creightons to hit the threshold for quantity of wins.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »
I wouldn't mind adding LaSalle. They play some scrappy Philly ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Might as well consider DePauw too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind adding LaSalle. They play some scrappy Philly ball.

Well now I know for a fact that at least ~7% of your total posts are trollin'...