[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FGCU's Andy Enfield to USC  (Read 14889 times)

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
FGCU's Andy Enfield to USC
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:52 PM »
Per ESPN: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9123661/usc-trojans-hire-fgcu-andy-enfield-men-hoops-coach

I'm confused by this.  Yes, he seems to have the credentials, but I'm amazed that winning two big games (yes, I know they're HUGE wins, but still only two nights of success, not two seasons) lands you a relatively prestigious job.  

I can't imagine Enfield is even on USC's radar if FGCU loses on a last-second shot to Georgetown last Friday...
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

MU_Beav

• Starter
Re: FGCU's Andy Enfield to USC
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
Per ESPN: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9123661/usc-trojans-hire-fgcu-andy-enfield-men-hoops-coach

I'm confused by this.  Yes, he seems to have the credentials, but I'm amazed that winning two big games (yes, I know they're HUGE wins, but still only two nights of success, not two seasons) lands you a relatively prestigious job.  

I can't imagine Enfield is even on USC's radar if FGCU loses on a last-second shot to Georgetown last Friday...

Agreed -- has the glimmer of fool's gold...

verlo

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »
Yeah seems like a desperation signing. May as well ride the success train thought. Good for Enfield. Hope FGCU can still continue to grow as a program

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:26 PM »
Well, you may not see it but this is perfect match.

A lot of hot in Southern California.... Andy Enfield's wife is hot.  See how that goes?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
I'm disappointed.  I thought he was going to stay at FGCU because he was doing it for fun, not money.  He's already a rich man from his previous business.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
If he wins at USC playing the style of ball FGCU played, that will be very popular and will attract a lot of good recruits.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Crazy..now FGCU will fall back into the abyss.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »
I'm disappointed.  I thought he was going to stay at FGCU because he was doing it for fun, not money.  He's already a rich man from his previous business.

Made up nonsense.

Just about every high major D1 coach who has been at it for a year or more is more rich than Enfield.

Also, SUPERBAR!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
Enfield is already wealthy? Well, that explains how a guy like that got a hot wife like that. Now it all makes sense.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
Crazy..now FGCU will fall back into the abyss.
Bald Rediction-  With former Golden Eagle Jamail Jones coming off his one year transfer ineligibility, FGCU will be a Final Four team.  

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:31:46 PM »

Those reports about his stake in the startup were outrageously wrong. At one point his stake was worth appox $8MM but we have no idea how much he liquidated at that time.

Death on call

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 12:43:56 AM »
Bald Rediction-  With former Golden Eagle Jamail Jones coming off his one year transfer ineligibility, FGCU will be a Final Four team.  

And Jamail win garner first team All American honors.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:51 AM »

Money still talks. Plus, he should have better, consistent recruiting for a championship.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 06:52:40 AM »

Can we not say the same thing about Illinois hiring John Groce last year?

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 07:02:25 AM »
Why haven't we seen a "Buzz to FGCU" thread yet?!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:27 AM »
Just about every high major D1 coach who has been at it for a year or more is more rich than Enfield.

No, I think he made a hundred million dollars in his business. Any salary he's getting now doesn't make a dent in his net worth.

That how he landed the wife.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:09:43 AM by TallTitan34 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:55 AM »

Too bad they are losing the conference player of the year.  I would venture a guess that they will be lucky to win their conference.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

chapman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
Those reports about his stake in the startup were outrageously wrong. At one point his stake was worth appox $8MM but we have no idea how much he liquidated at that time.

This.  The company as a whole at the time was "a $100M company", whether that's worth or just their annual revenue.  He only had a small share in it.  Is he a millionaire?  Yes.  But the difference between $157k per year and whatever USC is giving him is significant for him.

Why haven't we seen a "Buzz to FGCU" thread yet?!

Reunite with Jamail, make less than any of his assistants do now.  Perfect!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
Can we not say the same thing about Illinois hiring John Groce last year?

Groce was Thad Matta's top assistant for years, including stints at Butler and Xavier prior to Ohio State.  He then won at Ohio where he was for three years, and moved over to Illinois.  All of this is in the midwest.

Enfield was an assistant at FSU for about four years and then was head coach at FGCU for two.  He didn't recruit a number of players on that team.  Now he is going to a geographic location where he has never recruited previously, and making a jump from the A-Sun to the Pac-12, which is MUCH larger than the jump from the MAC to the Big Ten.  Especially when you consider that Groce was a Big Ten assistant for years.

So on the face if it, I don't think it is anything like Groce to Illinois.  That doesn't mean he won't succeed out there however.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 07:28:57 AM »
No, I think he made a hundred million dollars in his business. Any salary he's getting now doesn't make a dent in his net worth.

This has been debunked and is not accurate.  He made a "modest investment" in a company and later sold part of his stake.  Like Jay Bee said, it's quite likely that Buzz (and many other high major coaches) could buy and sell Enfield many times over.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ResidentBrown

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
Not bad, for a profession that he pretty much said was just a fun hobby of his.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »
So is everyone going to be angry every time a coach takes a job elsewhere and makes their school a "stepping stone" because we are afraid of Buzz doing the same?  USC>FGCU.  Academics, sports and tradition, location (well, coin flip there) and name recognition.  You either hang out as the little guy and hope you can make lightning strike twice, or you take the offer when it happens and go somewhere that makes your chances better.  Can't expect him to stay at FGCU for the long haul if he wants to build his career resume.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
He was making $157,000 at FGCU. He's getting paid over $1MM at USC. Whether he has millions in the bank or is barely scraping by, that's a no-brainer of a move.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
So is everyone going to be angry every time a coach takes a job elsewhere and makes their school a "stepping stone" because we are afraid of Buzz doing the same?  USC>FGCU.  Academics, sports and tradition, location (well, coin flip there) and name recognition.  You either hang out as the little guy and hope you can make lightning strike twice, or you take the offer when it happens and go somewhere that makes your chances better.  Can't expect him to stay at FGCU for the long haul if he wants to build his career resume.

Who's angry?  No one is seriously blaming for cashing in while he can.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »
If he wins at USC playing the style of ball FGCU played, that will be very popular and will attract a lot of good recruits.

This.  If he can re-create "Dunk City" at USC, he will own California recruiting.

Oh and he was a Villa 7 guy:
http://www.sportleadership.vcu.edu/villa7/success.html
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

feedback