* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:47:43 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUDPT
[Today at 11:36:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5th Annual FFC Day  (Read 16356 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
5th Annual FFC Day
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »
Hooray, hooray the 5th Annual Freedom From Crean Day is here. Time to celebrate and give thanks. Take a day off from school or work and rejoice. He's the state of Indiana's problem now. Our alma mater is rid of the rabid, multiple personality, bathtub ring, aka Coach Tom Crean. Hallelujah!
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: 5th Annual FFC Day
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:15:56 AM »
Hooray, hooray the 5th Annual Freedom From Crean Day is here. Time to celebrate and give thanks. Take a day off from school or work and rejoice. He's the state of Indiana's problem now. Our alma mater is rid of the rabid, multiple personality, bathtub ring, aka Coach Tom Crean. Hallelujah!

Celebrating with quick handshakes and by drinking a case of diet coke.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »
Hallelujah!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »
The Yale-New Haven Hospital Smilow Cancer uses the BoDeans "Closer to Free" in their advertising.  I'm eerily humming that song right now especially the flash mob version from their latest TV commercial.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Does this mean we can finally determine if Buzz has been successful?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
I'm spending the day tweeting about Jesus and reading books on leadership and coaching.  Gonna grab a quick tan and rub one out thinking about a Purdue player too.

Happy FFC Day!

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
I'm spending the day tweeting about Jesus and reading books on leadership and coaching.  Gonna grab a quick tan and rub one out thinking about a Purdue player too.

Happy FFC Day!

LOVE THIS

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:31:41 AM »
Does this mean we can finally determine if Buzz has been successful?

Check with Chicos, Guns, et al on April 8. That will be the five year anniversary of the failed process/Buzz hiring. Until then, remain cautious.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:50:50 AM »
From a Marquette alum perspective...couldn't be happier.  Rebuilt the program, left us Buzz Williams.

From an Indiana alum perspective...couldn't be happier.... program no longer has the stench of massive drug use, kids failing classes and cheating throughout.   

Worked out well for everyone

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we're free at last.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
I will never forget Crean's motto for the 2007-08 team which he put on the pocket-schedule... "One for all, all for one."  I bet DJ, Jerel, and Wes didn't either while finding out the news on SportsCenter five years ago today.  

You can't find character like that everyday.  Thank you, Tom Crean.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
From a Marquette alum perspective...couldn't be happier.  Rebuilt the program, left us Buzz Williams.

Actually, the idea that he "left us Buzz Williams" has been debunked recently. Buzz was on the recruiting trail when the news hit ESPN. When he walked into Crean's house, the rest of the staff was already assembled. "You're coming with me to Indiana", Crean told Buzz. Buzz immediately said, thanks but no thanks.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
And it goes without saying that Crean's best move was leaving.  It far trumps hiring Buzz, because Buzz would be far gone by now if he were an Assistant.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
Worked out well for everyone

+1.  The jabs can be fun, but not sure why people get all sensitive.  Every party involved bettered their situation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
Check with Chicos, Guns, et al on April 8. That will be the five year anniversary of the failed process/Buzz hiring. Until then, remain cautious.

A few quotes from memory lane since you distort them so often....it might clear your head a bit.  My issue was always that we could have had Buzz a week later and didn't have to get him in 3 days.  A risky hire, nearly everyone agreed, and it worked out.  Buzz wasn't going anywhere, so we could have seen other options.  From day one after he was hired, I wished him nothing but success....he was leading my team, why the heck wouldn't I want him to.

Since you brought up the hiring date, yes let's take a look and blow another one of your ridiculous comments to Kingdom Come.  Love the search function here.  Someday I'll expect an apology, but I know it isn't coming from you anytime soon

"Let's hope he is "special"....to act as quickly as we did he must be."
-Chicos, April 9th, 2008

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8507.msg69443#msg69443

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8533.msg69439#msg69439

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8572.msg69955#msg69955

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8506.msg69183#msg69183

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8660.msg71030#msg71030

Or this one
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8691.msg71766#msg71766

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:29:42 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Actually, the idea that he "left us Buzz Williams" has been debunked recently. Buzz was on the recruiting trail when the news hit ESPN. When he walked into Crean's house, the rest of the staff was already assembled. "You're coming with me to Indiana", Crean told Buzz. Buzz immediately said, thanks but no thanks.

No Tom Crean, no Buzz Williams at Marquette. He never spends a day in his life on the coaching staff at MU. PERIOD.

During the hiring process, Tom Crean pushed Buzz Williams for MU.  

Continue on your life of delusion....it's entertaining...always entertaining.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
Crean was a great stepping-stone hire for us, helped us arrive where we now want to be. You're the man Buzz!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

Right. First he he tried to poach him as an assistant and when Buzz turned him down he pushed for him to get the head job at MU. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Another myth you've repeated countless times to mitigate Crean's treachery. The idea that Cottingham and Wild were even speaking to Crean between April 1 and April 8 is ludicrous. Please give sourced quotes to back up your claim.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
No Tom Crean, no Buzz Williams at Marquette. He never spends a day in his life on the coaching staff at MU. PERIOD.

I am sure that Wild said to Cottingham, "Wait, let's get Tom's input on our next coaching hire!"

That piece of fiction is laughable. They gave Crean's thoughts as much consideration as that jacka$$ gave them in his leaving. Like Crean's players, his bosses heard about his departure through ESPN. May Crean rot in whatever personal hell he inhabits.  

Death on call

Blackhat

• All American
5 year Anniversary of Tom Crean Punking MU
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:51 AM »
April 1, 2008 Tom Crean reveals he's a punk and sneaks out of Milwaukee without saying his good byes or informing his boss.   Where were you when you found out?  

I didn't find out until that evening but I was drunk and eating domino's pizza.

Can't believe it's been 5 years already, time flies when you're having more success than Indiana.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:55:31 AM by Stone Cold »

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 5 year Anniversary of Tom Crean Punking MU
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »

Blackhat

• All American
Re: 5 year Anniversary of Tom Crean Punking MU
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »

Good.  Can always count of 4ever.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »

I'm not going to dig up 5 year old posts to make my case, but I think a lot of us were disappointed in the process. I know I was. We thought we were worthy of a coach with a big name. We didn't get one. Obviously that was a letdown. I recall the sentiment of this board being concerned but willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Not many people really wanted to condemn the hire, just the process.

Either somebody involved saw something special 5 years ago, or we got very very lucky. I don't care which it is. He's our coach.

5 years later, Buzz and the program have been better than I could have imagined. I wouldn't trade him for any coach in the game, and I mean that. His abilities (recruiting & coaching), his attitude, his personality, and his priorities are fantastic for Marquette. He took the job without a name and has created one for himself.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »

I wasn't one of the "process" guys. I may have commented on it, but I wasn't one of the guys who repeatedly posted about it.

I AM however a 5 year guy, and I'll wear that badge proudly. I don't really get why that is a negative.

feedback