Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Projected Starting Lineup for 2013-2014  (Read 13232 times)

Warriors88

• Walk-On
Re: Projected Starting Lineup for 2013-2014
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Keep in mind how much PT previous frosh have experienced with Buzz.  You never know but I would expect Steve and Derrick to be in the starting line-up when next year opens -

Derrick
Vander
Steve
Jamil
Otule/Ox combo

That leaves us with a deep bench.  Expect Juan, Jamal, Mayo, McKay and at least one of the frosh to get consistent minutes.  Steve makes a big jump next year to be our most improved. 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
Keep in mind how much PT previous frosh have experienced with Buzz.  You never know but I would expect Steve and Derrick to be in the starting line-up when next year opens -

Derrick
Vander
Steve
Jamil
Otule/Ox combo

That leaves us with a deep bench.  Expect Juan, Jamal, Mayo, McKay and at least one of the frosh to get consistent minutes.  Steve makes a big jump next year to be our most improved. 

PT is always hard to come by for freshman under Buzz, and Wilson is the only one I see playing consistently. I agree with the players you said would get consistent PT as well.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
First five:

PG Derrick Wilson
SG Vander Blue
SF Jamil Wilson
PF Jameel McKay
C Chris Otule

Next five:

PG Duane Wilson
SG Jajuan Johnson
SF Juan Anderson
PF Steve Taylor
C Davante Gardner

After that, I think Burton, Thomas, Ferguson, and Dawson, see minutes in that order.

And you still think Ferguson is staying, from your prediction?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
That is 14 players, one of them won't be on the team next fall due to schollie limit of 13.

If that's the case maybe Buzz knows something we don't in regard to who will and won't be here next year. Would Dawson be able to redshirt for a year or no?

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
If that's the case maybe Buzz knows something we don't in regard to who will and won't be here next year. Would Dawson be able to redshirt for a year or no?

Sure, he could redshirt but that would do nothing for the scholarship situation.

Lazer Sound

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
I think the variables associated with Chris make it too hard to project.  I want him back, and if that means someone has to transfer, I hope it is Jamal and not Todd.  I guess there is a chance it could be Juan too, but he may see the minutes that would be there his senior year when Devante, Jamil, and Chris are all sure to be gone.  I think Jamal or Todd are more likely to leave, and again, I would rather keep Todd because I think his long range shooting is better.  For Jamal, he is not in the same situation as some other freshman who have gotten a chance to play after a year, because the freshman coming in behind him are probably better than him (JJJ, Duane, and Deonte at least if not Dawson too). 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Sure, he could redshirt but that would do nothing for the scholarship situation.

Oh, well then idk what will happen. We'll see.

brandx

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

This team will probably be the most talented team that Marquette has ever seen. I can't wait for the season to already begin.

Most talented Marquette has ever seen - - -  since the late 70's!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
The craziest thing for me to see is that Deonte Burton, who is extremely highly rated/talanted wont see the floor next year. That being said my prediction.

De. Wilson/Du. Wilson/Dawson
Vander/JJJ/Burton/Ferguson/Thomas
Jamil/Juan/
Steve/McKay
Otule/Gardner

Biggest assumption here is Todd wont be coming back and Otule will. After the first 10 guys I really dont see anybody else getting much PT.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
I find it hard to believe that jameel McKay would start over Gardner (assuming otule comes back). The problem is that I find it almost as hard to see Gardner and otule starting together. But for me I would love to see both senior bigs start and have a capable rotation of Steve Taylor jr and McKay subbing in for them.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
We still have no reliable outside shooters, didn't seem to hurt our offensive number for most of the year, but expecting freshman to come in as shooters, especially in buzz's system, is assuming a lot...
Still, best class we have had since three amigos and zar.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »
Most talented Marquette has ever seen - - -  since the late 70's!

Thank you for beating me to it.

I don't want to sound like one of those old farts who always talks about the good old days, but ...

I'll believe any modern team is better than Al's group that routinely went deep into the tournament, churned out first-team All-Americans and produced NBA All-Stars as soon as I see it actually happen.

Heck, the last couple of years, some have tried to say these last couple of teams "might be better" than the 2002-03 squad that featured Marquette's best player ever, two other NBA players and an outstanding big man, all of whom teamed to go to the Final Four. The proof is in the results.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »
The craziest thing for me to see is that Deonte Burton, who is extremely highly rated/talanted wont see the floor next year. That being said my prediction.

Jamil/Juan/
Steve/McKay
Otule/Gardner

Biggest assumption here is Todd wont be coming back and Otule will. After the first 10 guys I really dont see anybody else getting much PT.

I think it is a little early to say that Burton is going to see the floor next year.  All he needs is to be coached up a little and he will be fine.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 11:22:31 PM »
Thank you for beating me to it.

I don't want to sound like one of those old farts who always talks about the good old days, but ...

I'll believe any modern team is better than Al's group that routinely went deep into the tournament, churned out first-team All-Americans and produced NBA All-Stars as soon as I see it actually happen.

Heck, the last couple of years, some have tried to say these last couple of teams "might be better" than the 2002-03 squad that featured Marquette's best player ever, two other NBA players and an outstanding big man, all of whom teamed to go to the Final Four. The proof is in the results.

2 sweet sixteens, an elite eight in the last 3 seasons.  At least 1 player going to the NBA every season since 2009.  Top 3 scorers returning to go along with an extremely talented recruiting class.  That seems like a pretty good start.  

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
2 sweet sixteens, an elite eight in the last 3 seasons.  At least 1 player going to the NBA every season since 2009.  Top 3 scorers returning to go along with an extremely talented recruiting class.  That seems like a pretty good start.  

Not this year.
SS Marquette

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 12:47:11 AM »

Jamil/Juan/
Steve/McKay
Otule/Gardner

To help even out the log jam at SG, JJJ, Burton, or Ferguson could all play SF in a small lineup.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 05:38:46 AM »
To help even out the log jam at SG, JJJ, Burton, or Ferguson could all play SF in a small lineup.
Funny no one mentions Deonte Burton...he might surprise us all if he can buckle down in the classroom and adapt to college life. A highly skilled and talented lefty with some physicality to his game.
Not sure if he should trim down or beef up? But to me, an outstanding athlete who will need to be groomed just right and put with the right teammate to keep him squared away.
But then again he is 'home' so that should help and on a team with cats he grew up with so that should help motivate him and keep him grounded and focused.

It should be fun... 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 05:43:32 AM »
I think it is a little early to say that Burton is going to see the floor next year.  All he needs is to be coached up a little and he will be fine.
Not sure how he will take to strong coaching though...we will know if he shrinks after boot camp or not...or call it quits. We'll see. Not everyone can be pushed or want to be pushed.

They like the idea of playing in front of family and friends and with their boys....but what happens when the heat gets in the kitchen and it burns?

How do you respond when you are pushed out of your comfort zone and asked and demanded to give more, to do more and be more?

Some can't take someone getting in their face outside of they momma...well, guess what college athletics and life can be confrontational. How do you respond?

We'll see.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 06:27:04 AM »
I feel Jamal Ferguson and Todd Mayo will not return. Since Ferguson is from Virginia, so I see him transferring to an ACC school. Most likely Virginia Tech or Virginia, which he should impact immediately, especially after making it though Buzz's bootcamp. Plus, both schools needs guard help. Unless his other recruiting school, Georgetown, still shows interest.

For Mayo, I see him headed to a more free flowing, show time style of offensive school. Maybe some where out west like UCLA or USC or the majority of the California schools.

I read a post saying something to the affect of, "If Otule is focused on his body, he may head overseas and play to cash in while he can." That sounds like a good idea. We will still have potent talent with all these things happening.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
Not sure how he will take to strong coaching though...we will know if he shrinks after boot camp or not...or call it quits. We'll see. Not everyone can be pushed or want to be pushed.

They like the idea of playing in front of family and friends and with their boys....but what happens when the heat gets in the kitchen and it burns?

How do you respond when you are pushed out of your comfort zone and asked and demanded to give more, to do more and be more?

Some can't take someone getting in their face outside of they momma...well, guess what college athletics and life can be confrontational. How do you respond?

We'll see.

What?  Do you personally know something about Burton?  If not why make such an unfounded statement. Sure he could flame out, but it is unlikely. He could also excel and be a major contributor next season but that is unlikely as well. The kid isn’t even in the program yet and you are predicting he is going to fail.  You could say the same thing about any of the newcomers. If you don’t know, don’t say something so negative that probably won’t happen.

The fact of the matter is anyone counting on a freshman to make major contributions is just fooling themselves. It is not fair to the players to place such unrealistic expectations on them. The same people will be bashing the players when they don’t meet the expectations (See Blue, Vander) 

My guess is that Mayo and maybe Ferguson will be gone. I don’t understand the fascination by some with Mayo. At this point he is a role player in special situations at best.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:05 AM »
Funny no one mentions Deonte Burton...he might surprise us all if he can buckle down in the classroom and adapt to college life.

Not sure why you bring this up with him. By all accounts he is a fine student and will have no problems in the classroom. Of course everyone adjusts differently but no a priori reason to worry about his performance in the classroom.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
Not sure why you bring this up with him. By all accounts he is a fine student and will have no problems in the classroom. Of course everyone adjusts differently but no a priori reason to worry about his performance in the classroom.

Seriously, that was way out of left field.  Must hang around too many badger fans.  Pretty sure Burton tweeted his grades at one point this year and they were more than fine; likely responding to insinutations that UW didn't recruit him because of "academics" (their go-to excuse when they don't land a non-traditional athlete).  Not worried about him in that respect IN THE SLIGHTEST.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
This coming season will be the first year Buzz will have a full team with 13 schollie players and 2 walk-ons barring no summer surprises. Its possible he could go 12-13 deep.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly that it is a darn good start.

Now, bring on the national title, the Final Fours, the multiple All-Americans and the numerous NBA All-Stars and we'll have "the most talented" teams in MU history, as so many here are in a hurry to proclaim the current group.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
And you still think Ferguson is staying, from your prediction?

Absolutely I expect Ferguson back. There has been no indication otherwise. E-Will and Jamail both gave it two years, why wouldn't Jamal? Jake Thomas got some decent minutes this year and I think much of it had to do with his experience I. The system from his redshirt year. Ferguson is a livewire athlete but the Big East is a big jump for any freshman. He will likely be more prepared to contribute at least conditioning-wise than the new freshmen will be.

I think he stays at least one more year to see if he can move up the rotation and take minutes that this year went to Mayo and Thomas. While it's nice to project JJJ and the other newcomers as immediately making an impact, they will have to work their way past Ferguson first. I want to see how he responds to that.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.