Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Marquette alums and fans want from the MU Administration  (Read 4812 times)

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
What I want is a straight forward non obtuse statement of support.  Something like this:  “We are proud of what Coach Buzz Williams has achieved for Marquette University on and off the court.  He reflects to the highest degree Marquette’s religious, education and athlete goals.

It is our hope that he is Marquette’s head basketball coach for the entirety of his coaching career.  We look forward to helping Coach Williams building on the strong foundation he has established during his tenure. ”

This kind of definitive statement leaves no room for doubt.  If the AD is unwilling to make that kind of working commitment he needs to be fired.  If the administration can't see what they have with Buzz Williams they do not deserve the support of alums and the Milwaukee business community.  This is a train wreck that can be avoided.

After Buzz's success over the past five years if he was to leave because of Larry William's ham handed behind the scene actions and weak PR charm campaign what coach would be willing to come to Marquette?  The last time Marquette's basketball team had a five year record of success at this level Al McGuire was coach.  What does that mean?  Contributes, unprecedented marketing for the entire school and a stonger community/alum bond.

FYI, this would cost millions and make Marquette the butt of national ridicule in the media. (Can you say laughing stock publicity?)  A minor casuality would be Larry Williams career as an AD at any school.  There always is a fall guy.

From Coach Buzz I’d like to hear a version of Sherman Speech:
“I will not accept another coaching position.”

I like declarative statements that leave no room for doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shermanesque_statement

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: What Marquette alums and fans want from the MU Administration
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
That is about it

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
What I'd like to hear from our fans, Larry, and Buzz and definitely in that order is....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
Those statements would mean absolutely nothing.

Buzz already made a statement, he will be here as long as Marquette will have him.

The administration has already made statements like you have stated, plus the biggest one of all.. $2.8M statements a year.

They don't mean a hill of beans ultimately. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »
What I want is a straight forward non obtuse statement of support.  Something like this:  “We are proud of what Coach Buzz Williams has achieved for Marquette University on and off the court.  He reflects to the highest degree Marquette’s religious, education and athlete goals.

It is our hope that he is Marquette’s head basketball coach for the entirety of his coaching career.  We look forward to helping Coach Williams building on the strong foundation he has established during his tenure. ”

This kind of definitive statement leaves no room for doubt.  If the AD is unwilling to make that kind of working commitment he needs to be fired.  If the administration can't see what they have with Buzz Williams they do not deserve the support of alums and the Milwaukee business community.  This is a train wreck that can be avoided.

After Buzz's success over the past five years if he was to leave because of Larry William's ham handed behind the scene actions and weak PR charm campaign what coach would be willing to come to Marquette?  The last time Marquette's basketball team had a five year record of success at this level Al McGuire was coach.  What does that mean?  Contributes, unprecedented marketing for the entire school and a stonger community/alum bond.

FYI, this would cost millions and make Marquette the butt of national ridicule in the media. (Can you say laughing stock publicity?)  A minor casuality would be Larry Williams career as an AD at any school.  There always is a fall guy.

Ugh.

Larry Williams, March 27, 2012:

"Coach Williams is a good man, great coach and I look forward to working with him in the coming years."

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032712aac.html

Larry Williams, July 26, 2012:

"Coach Williams is a good man and a great coach. We've spent some time together this summer and have gotten to know each other more, especially when tracking down a few hooks and slices into the woods when we played golf together a few weeks back. What's clear to me is that he's a competitor and a winner. We share a lot in common and are completely on the same page in terms of staying focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program - among the elite in the nation."

http://www.gomarquette.com/blog/2012/07/marquette-mailbag-larry-williams.html

And, just for good measure, Buzz Williams, Nov. 3, 2012:

"I've never been off a page with anybody in the administration, old, new, whatever their titles were. Everybody wants to be the best they can. You're going to make mistakes. You apologize for those mistakes. You learn from those mistakes. And you hope that you can be better because of those mistakes."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquettes-eccentric-williams-opens-up-9a7cv1h-177124391.html

Just a warning ... be careful about suggesting that Larry Williams might be able to "help" Buzz in any way whatsoever. Some won't take kindly to such thoughts.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
There are far bigger issues than making a meaningless statement about the coach.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »
I'd like to see both sides grow up a bit.

If Parrish, Goodman, etc...Buzz's writers are constantly saying that he and LW have a bad relationship, then Buzz's folks are putting that out there.  That has to stop....it serves no purpose.  Tulsa, what you are asking the university to do, shouldn't you be asking Buzz to do the same thing with the writers he is talking to?

On the flip side, LW needs to understand what he has with his coach. Find some middle ground. It benefits him as an AD for his career, it benefits Buzz and his career.

This isn't that hard.  We've all had to work with people where friction happens, sometimes outright dislike.  You keep it professional and you find common ground.  Sniping in the press doesn't help.  Public statements have already been made. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
Ugh.

Larry Williams, March 27, 2012:

"Coach Williams is a good man, great coach and I look forward to working with him in the coming years."

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032712aac.html

Larry Williams, July 26, 2012:

"Coach Williams is a good man and a great coach. We've spent some time together this summer and have gotten to know each other more, especially when tracking down a few hooks and slices into the woods when we played golf together a few weeks back. What's clear to me is that he's a competitor and a winner. We share a lot in common and are completely on the same page in terms of staying focused on the rich history and core values that underpin this very unique program - among the elite in the nation."

http://www.gomarquette.com/blog/2012/07/marquette-mailbag-larry-williams.html

And, just for good measure, Buzz Williams, Nov. 3, 2012:

"I've never been off a page with anybody in the administration, old, new, whatever their titles were. Everybody wants to be the best they can. You're going to make mistakes. You apologize for those mistakes. You learn from those mistakes. And you hope that you can be better because of those mistakes."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquettes-eccentric-williams-opens-up-9a7cv1h-177124391.html

Just a warning ... be careful about suggesting that Larry Williams might be able to "help" Buzz in any way whatsoever. Some won't take kindly to such thoughts.
can we lock this at the top of the Hanging at the Al page? Right under Welcome/Rules/Tips?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »

yep we all like certainty, but in the real world there is none. Just enjoy Buzz as our coach, hope he's here long term and relax with this awesome spring weather.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
Buzz with MU. Next!

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

I suppose you want something recent but to Roziak on 22 Mar 2010: "I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

Even if LW released this statement verbatim, there are people on this board who would parse it into something that was negative.  Give it up.
Have some patience, FFS.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 06:05:17 PM »

Buzz already made a statement, he will be here as long as Marquette will have him.

The administration has already made statements like you have stated, plus the biggest one of all.. $2.8M statements a year.

Chicos is 100% correct. There is no need for either Buzz nor the Administration to do either of the above. The Marquette message boards do more to "fuel" speculation than any other source.

If you don't want there to be speculation on if/when/how there is a coaching change, then stop discussing it. Marquette is a destination job. Lets act like it.
We Are Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »
Chicos is 100% correct. There is no need for either Buzz nor the Administration to do either of the above. The Marquette message boards do more to "fuel" speculation than any other source.

If you don't want there to be speculation on if/when/how there is a coaching change, then stop discussing it. Marquette is a destination job. Lets act like it.

Yep.
Does Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, Pitt, Villanova, Florida, etc., feel compelled release a public statement every time their respective coaches are rumored to have drawn interest from another school?

brandx

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »

Sily, silly silly.
Are we going to get different versions of this same garbage for the next however many years Buzz is here?

There has to be some limit as to how many threads there can be about the same subject.

You are really asking Buzz to commit the rest of his coaching life to one school? Really? Is that something any of us would do in our jobs?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
Yep.
Does Gonzaga, Butler, VCU, Pitt, Villanova, Florida, etc., feel compelled release a public statement every time their respective coaches are rumored to have drawn interest from another school?

Nope, since their fanbases aren't terribly paranoid, and if they can't create enough panic don't feel compelled to make things up to get attention.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »

It's funny Chicos that you now are the only one who brings this statement up and you bring it up dozens of times per year??? Hmmmmm...... I wonder why that is.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »

It's funny Chicos that you now are the only one who brings this statement up and you bring it up dozens of times per year??? Hmmmmm...... I wonder why that is.

To use that statement in the way that Chicos always does is misleading, to say the least. No one has ever discussed who the "they" are in Buzz's 2010 statement. If you read the article, there is a very legitimate reason to believe that the "they" Buzz was referring to, was the current administration at the time.

Clearly, that administration has changed.

Despite Chicos' efforts at playing loose with the words, Buzz has never said he'll be here as long as "Marquette" wants. Maybe he meant Marquette, maybe he didn't. None of us know the answer, but it certainly isn't as Chicos makes it out to be in pursuit of his agenda.

I'd also like to know where Chicos' gets his information that Goodman and Parrish are Buzz's writers? I remember Chicos constantly belittling all who suggested Crean had "writers" that pushed Crean's agenda. But, when it comes to Buzz, the standard changes. Oh, and if someone calls Chicos out on this, he'll point out the inconsistency with "this board's treatment of Crean." His own hypocrisy is always explained by the general board's inconsistencies. I love it. Cute.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
I'll only speak for myself, but I couldn't want this type of statement released any less. If Buzz doesnt know he's wanted, a couple of meaningless paragraphs aren't going to do it.

I want an administration that gives the basketball program the tools to succeed (well paid assistants, tutors, facilities). I really don't want a coach that needs to be coddled.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

Because I expect the man meant what he said....can I not trust in my coach?  Or, perhaps they all say this crap and you can't believe what any of them say.   ;) 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
Larry better realize that it's a lot easier to find an AD than a top coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »

Despite Chicos' efforts at playing loose with the words, Buzz has never said he'll be here as long as "Marquette" wants. Maybe he meant Marquette, maybe he didn't. None of us know the answer, but it certainly isn't as Chicos makes it out to be in pursuit of his agenda.

Actually, that's exactly what he said.  No agenda Cam, I'm just repeating what the man said.  

"I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/88881442.html

He said it, not anyone else.  Not sure how that leads to an agenda.  Or, maybe it's that you can't believe what any of them say.  For now, I'm going to believe what the man said...seems the right thing to do.

Now, on the Goodman, Parrish, etc, stuff.  I don't know, I used common sense.  Buzz has done a number of interviews with them over the years, LW has done none.  Goodman has been on the Marquette basketball hour show with Buzz, as an example.

Then I read things from some posters here about how much Goodman and Parrish love Buzz, how he is one of their boys.  

Or, let's just cut to the chase...truth be told, Buzz and Goodman are very tight, but I don't particularly care if you don't believe me, they just are...it's known.  The fact that you don't know it, doesn't concern me.

A few examples...maybe Tower, Lens, etc can opine...I know the Lens, he's in the sports biz, I trust his remarks.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=31654.msg372944#msg372944

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33422.msg406220#msg406220

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37234.msg470904#msg470904

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=29770.msg355619#msg355619

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33933.msg414150#msg414150

I could go on Cam, but do you really need me to?  This isn't hard.  Buzz has a relationship with Parrish and Goodman as well as many others.  Those guys are reporting this strained relationship.  You really want me and others here to believe that information is not coming from the people those reporters talk to.  Turnip truck making a trip through your neighborhood often these days?

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Actually, that's exactly what he said.  No agenda Cam, I'm just repeating what the man said.  

"I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/88881442.html

Okay, so we agree that his words were not "as long as 'Marquette' will have me here," but rather, they were "as long as 'they'll' have me here." Great. And, since we don't know who the "they" are that he was referring to, we can agree your previous post where you claimed he has said he'll be here as long as Marquette will have him was, at best, speculative, at worst, misleading? Okay, fantastic.

Now that that is cleared up, you can go back to your games and agenda...

Regarding the alleged Buzz relationships with Goodman or Parrish, I don't dispute them or accept them. I just find it comical that, if I recall correctly, you spent years saying Crean did not pimp himself out through media contacts, yet you are now so quick to proclaim Buzz does just that. Maybe my memory deceives me. Or maybe, you are just Chicos being Chicos.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:31 PM »
Okay, so we agree that his words were not "as long as 'Marquette' will have me here," but rather, they were "as long as 'they'll' have me here." Great. And, since we don't know who the "they" are that he was referring to, we can agree your previous post where you claimed he has said he'll be here as long as Marquette will have him was, at best, speculative, at worst, misleading? Okay, fantastic.

Now that that is cleared up, you can go back to your games and agenda...

Regarding the alleged Buzz relationships with Goodman or Parrish, I don't dispute them or accept them. I just find it comical that, if I recall correctly, you spent years saying Crean did not pimp himself out through media contacts, yet you are now so quick to proclaim Buzz does just that. Maybe my memory deceives me. Or maybe, you are just Chicos being Chicos.

The "they'll" in as long as they'll have me is logically Fr Wild and Cottingham, the two guys who hired him.

Your memory does not deceive you. It is 100% accurate.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
The "they'll" in as long as they'll have me is logically Fr Wild and Cottingham, the two guys who hired him.

Your memory does not deceive you. It is 100% accurate.

Father Wild announced his retirement March 4, 2010.
Buzz made the comment March 22, 2010.

Not much of a commitment he was making if he was referring to Wild.