[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does vander stay?  (Read 11811 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Does vander stay?
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
If he doesn't, I hope he knows a foreign language.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
Before he goes, he should listen to what Charles Barkley said in the pre-game.

He's not ready for the NBA. Period. Should be end of discussion.

Dean Smith used to tell his players that if you were one of the top 5 picks, then go. It's doubtful Vander is one of the Top 5 picks... or top 35` picks.

Stick around Vander, you'll be glad you did.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
Is this considering testing the waters? NCAA no longer allows this move.

When did they stop this?

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
Unless he wants to end up an undrafted free agent, Vander's back in Blue and Gold.

jnj3225

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
Where would he go?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
All I can say is he better get respect regardless of decision on this board. Half the posts on this thread are insulting and I think he deserves better than that. Yes, he had rough game today, but his season was exceptional. Honestly with the crap he has taken over last three years he only owes something to himself, his team and his coach. Most fans showed their true colors regarding him many times over past few years.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »
All I can say is he better get respect regardless of decision on this board. Half the posts on this thread are insulting and I think he deserves better than that. Yes, he had rough game today, but his season was exceptional. Honestly with the crap he has taken over last three years he only owes something to himself, his team and his coach. Most fans showed their true colors regarding him many times over past few years.

Half the posts are honest, Goose.  Today, he isn't an NBA player.  He wasn't all season.  If he declares he will regret it.  He had an amazing March.  If a team comes along and promises him a 1st round pick he should go.  But lets be honest.  That isn't happening.  I have been a Blue supporter from day 1, and a defender from day 2.  He just isn't ready yet.  I would be SHOCKED if he declared.

mikekinsella001

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »
fact is he would get drafted. His athleticism and potential alone would land him on an NBA roster. It's pretty naive to think he has no other option than to stay. And he really doesn't 'owe' this team anything. He played his arse off this season, carried this team and he may want to cash out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
Now that I thought more about it, it alls depends on what his mother wants. He will stay at MU, if that is what his mother wants and he will go pro, if that is what she wants.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
hards

I would have zero idea if he is ready or not. I am a college basketball fan, not NBA scout. I would not advise him either way and hope he has sound people, including Buzz to guide him. My point is simply the kid has been raked across the coals by scores of fans from his first year here. His off court issues and not playing to expectations made him a lightning rod. Quite simply, I appreciate his effort this season and the role he played in getting the team to E8.

All that said, if he choses to leave I will not be on here saying he is not ready, stupid move or any other negative comment. IMO of the recent MU guys in NBA Vander has the most upside down the road. I do not think he is capped out as a player.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
hards

I would have zero idea if he is ready or not. I am a college basketball fan, not NBA scout. I would not advise him either way and hope he has sound people, including Buzz to guide him. My point is simply the kid has been raked across the coals by scores of fans from his first year here. His off court issues and not playing to expectations made him a lightning rod. Quite simply, I appreciate his effort this season and the role he played in getting the team to E8.

All that said, if he choses to leave I will not be on here saying he is not ready, stupid move or any other negative comment. IMO of the recent MU guys in NBA Vander has the most upside down the road. I do not think he is capped out as a player.

I totally agree with you on all accounts.  But he just isn't NBA ready right now.  I'm not a scout (lol obviously) but he just isn't a player right now in the league.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
No. Vander will stay. A good senior year and he could be the next MUer in the NBA.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
Yes, I believe he does.
SS Marquette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
hards

One question, what Vander played on team like Louisville? Do you think his skill set would be more advanced? He is not a scorer, yet led us all season in scoring. He is a defender and slasher that would be very effective in uptempo style. He played well in a crappy half court environment. Honestly, I hope he is back for selfish reasons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »
Goose, I've not been a Blue basher, but I don't think he's NBA-ready. Yes, he's been beat up on this board a lot, and I don't know why except that expectations probably exceeded reality. He had a wonderful March, but needs more seasoning (IMHO). His size, handle, outside shot work against what the league wants.
He has shown an ability to improve his shortcomings - remember what his FT shooting was like before Villanova last year. I haven't looked up his FT shooting % last year to this but it has to be a decent jump. His performane in the tournament this year was impressive. If he has a big year next year, he'll be drafted no matter how strong the class.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-04-28/ncaa-all-but-eliminates-test-the-water-time-for-underclassmen

This doesn't eliminate the ability to declare and return to school. It just shortened the time you had to withdraw your name from 2 weeks to 60 days prior to the draft.

I still think Vander declares, and ultimately withdraws his name to come back for his senior season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
Guys

I do not want him to go and have no idea if he should go. I just was saying he represented the school and himself with class this year. If he decides to go I hope it does not turn into the usual bashing of guys leaving. Every transfer gets ripped on here, every recruit lost is usually ripped and I think he deserves better than that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
hards

One question, what Vander played on team like Louisville? Do you think his skill set would be more advanced? He is not a scorer, yet led us all season in scoring. He is a defender and slasher that would be very effective in uptempo style. He played well in a crappy half court environment. Honestly, I hope he is back for selfish reasons.

Perhaps.  I know that is a cop out answer, but I'm not sure his skill set translates well to the NBA.  He has done AMAZING things with his shooting this offseason.  If he is willing to rededicate himself to that he will be a lotto pick.  Could he be effective in a D'anotio offense?  Yeah probably.  But the NBA isn't like college ball.  Just look at how much our all time scoring leader (McNeal) has struggled to even get a look in the NBA.  Butler was a great shooter, had great size and played great defense... and he is going to be in the NBA for years.  Wes is the same way.  Lazar has struggled.  It isn't easy to judge a player on their college game... I don't eve know what the hell I'm saying right now... I just don't see Van getting picked where it is worth it to not come back and play another year.

This year's draft is extremely weak... but next years is about the same.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
Guys

I do not want him to go and have no idea if he should go. I just was saying he represented the school and himself with class this year. If he decides to go I hope it does not turn into the usual bashing of guys leaving. Every transfer gets ripped on here, every recruit lost is usually ripped and I think he deserves better than that.

totally agree.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
No. Vander will stay. A good senior year and he could be the next MUer in the NBA.

+1.  You get more respect when you stay all 4 years. That experience will carry weight for a player as good as Blue.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »
Hards

I might be nuts, but I think his ceiling is higher than any player at MU since Wade. IMO his potential as all around player trumps McNeal, who he is commonly compared to.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
Hards

I might be nuts, but I think his ceiling is higher than any player at MU since Wade. IMO his potential as all around player trumps McNeal, who he is commonly compared to.

I don't disagree.  I just think that he would do better to come back next year and prove it. 

I've said it since I watched him at Madison Memorial that he has all of the tools.  This year he has gotten the tools in order.  I'd hate for him to declare and get drafted in the 2nd round... when next year he absolutely has all of the potential of a lotto pick.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
I think it was close.  Had we made the final 4 and he had a great game today, I would have said he has to go.  As it is, he has a chance to be player of the year of the new Big East next year and greatly increase the chance of a first round pick.

feedback