[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on ESPN radio with Van Pelt  (Read 7444 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Buzz on ESPN radio with Van Pelt
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
Every spring around here I am reminded there are more annoying things in life than political elections.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
There's so much at play here that it's impossible to know what's really going on...couple of possibilities:
1.  Buzz wants to leave for a big time school and is a complete fraud.
2.  Buzz wants to use his connections to have LW put in his place or fired.
3.  Buzz wants his name out there in the media to improve his salary.
4.  Buzz wants his name out there so when he's recruiting against a Oklahoma, UCLA, etc. he can say that he was offered that job, but would rather be at MU.
5.  Buzz said he'd stay as long as MU would have him, and it pisses him off that he has to repeat himself, so he won't.
6.  Buzz likes to screw with the media.
7.  Buzz regrets making the "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" comment, and is now trying to place blame on LW as a reason (legit or not) to leave.

If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC.  I'm sure he'll leave with much more class, and I don't know how bad the rift with LW is, but you can't say what he says and then leave...all while preaching honesty, ethics, religion, etc. at every turn.  I am skeptical of people who push religion, as so many turn out to be frauds.  I hope UCLA throws the house at Buzz so we can see if he passes this test.

Someone also mentioned TC and how he never mentioned God.  I remember being at a scrimmage (think it was haunted hoops) when a student had recently been shot at a house party (I believe that was the story anyhow), and he asked everyone in the stands to join hands and he said a prayer.  Then stated something along the lines of how we don't have to be afraid to pray in public at a school like MU, or something on those lines as he was taking a shot at public schools.  He soon thereafter left for a public school.  My guess is God told him to leave the kids who made their biggest investment in life in him by choosing to come to MU to play for him. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
All good points listed in the above post...way too many variables to discern.

That said, here's some more local media on the issue (doubting that he'd leave MU for UCLA)

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/199854031.html

Says Buzz won't leave because

1)  UCLA is in California, which is STRAPPED for cash.  MU would match any offer, anyway
2)  RELIGION more so than anything else.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
"If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC"

In terms of all coaches eventually leave - yes.    In terms of a human, not a chance - Crean is a total ahole of a person...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I winder how fast a good coach would go to Minnesota or even UCLA, when they fire coaches that take their team to NCAA tournament. You are just asking to be fired in a few years. Why taker a chance ruining your career with a team that has unrealistec expectations, especailly Minnasota.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
"If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC"

In terms of all coaches eventually leave - yes.    In terms of a human, not a chance - Crean is a total ahole of a person...
that's a tough call to make, and i hate tc.  to me, it's a deal where tc was an a-hole, but he was honest/arrogant in his desire to leave mu.  i'd often talk with people on the inside who would say he was looking to leave.  he treated people like a jerk, was a jerk, and left like a jerk...but that's who he was/is.

buzz preaches character, honesty, morals, ethics, God, etc.  if that's the case, i believe he sets a higher bar for himself, and if you preach that stuff, and then lie, i have a huge issue with it.  if he wanted to be honest, ethical, etc. and still leave for a bigger job...then he needs to make sure he's not making statements that people may base their lives on (his words), and not following through with those statements (I'll stay as long as they'll have me). 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
I winder how fast a good coach would go to Minnesota or even UCLA, when they fire coaches that take their team to NCAA tournament. You are just asking to be fired in a few years. Why taker a chance ruining your career with a team that has unrealistec expectations, especailly Minnasota.

It goes to show how many coaches are overconfident and megalomaniacs.  They think, "that will never happen to me, I am so much better than coach X."  Or, "if I do get fired I can get another job easy."

These schools who fire coaches who make multiple final fours really depend on the fact that the new, prospective coach just thinks it will never happen to them or can get a new job easy.