[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on ESPN radio with Van Pelt  (Read 7443 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Buzz on ESPN radio with Van Pelt
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
This was posted on another thread (a freakin topic about the Minnesota Gophers program for F's sake).

Buzz basically said speculation of him with coaching vacancies is a futile effort.  Great answer by Buzz.

Do we still play this Thursday, or did they cancel the game?

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9096515

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
Re: Buzz on ESPN radio with Van Pelt
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Buzz on leaving : "Its a non story to me."
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Retire54

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
This is why I don't think he is going to leave for a long time- he has always preached responsibility, and he loves practicing that. He sees himself enmeshed in so many different families that it would take a whole heck of a lot for him to simply walk away from all of it.

I'm not sure about the whole story at UNO but that might be an example of something so drastic happening that he didn't feel like he could properly impact his players. At MU, he has all the resources he needs and can freely preach his faith. He has everything that he needs (as far as I know) to do what he wants to do- impact his players lives so they can become the husbands and fathers they should be.

If he leaves for someplace like UCLA, it would be a strictly selfish move simply to get his name in record books. From listening to Buzz for the last 5 years that's not what he's about

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
This is why I don't think he is going to leave for a long time- he has always preached responsibility, and he loves practicing that. He sees himself enmeshed in so many different families that it would take a whole heck of a lot for him to simply walk away from all of it.

I'm not sure about the whole story at UNO but that might be an example of something so drastic happening that he didn't feel like he could properly impact his players. At MU, he has all the resources he needs and can freely preach his faith. He has everything that he needs (as far as I know) to do what he wants to do- impact his players lives so they can become the husbands and fathers they should be.

If he leaves for someplace like UCLA, it would be a strictly selfish move simply to get his name in record books. From listening to Buzz for the last 5 years that's not what he's about

I agree 100% with this.  To further note, the guy seems to be cut from a different cloth.  Listening to the guy for many years now, I feel like he is truly out here to provide for his family and to help kids out.  I think as long as he is helping kids grow into men, those men will run through brick walls for the coach and if you have that, you have a shot to win every game.  I am really proud he is coaching for my team.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »

Buzz was very green when he gave his "I'm here as long as they'll have me" statement. He's much savvier than that now. Even if he has absolutely no intention of leaving Marquette any time soon, he'd want to leave that door open just a tiny crack in case his perfect situation arises and he's offered his dream job (whatever it may be).

If Buzz left for UCLA, it would be selfish...but it would be no different than the selfishness that anyone else shows when leaving one job for what we presume to be a better position.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
I4 never mentioned God or Jesus while at MU.  Now he can't stop tweeting about #theLord at the big state U.

(I4 must be using the man of faith angle to connect with recruits that have strong religious beliefs).

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
The national media just doesn't get it.  My new operative word of the day: momentum.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
I guess I am not as optimistic as some on this board. I think Buzz will leave us eventually. I don't think it will be for money. I think it will happen down the road after a few big misses on top 10 recruits. And I think it will be for a Big 12 or SEC team (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.). I have nothing really tangible to back it up, but those are my thoughts.

That said, there's no way he leaves for UCLA.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
First and foremost, I LOVE Buzz Williams and hope he is coaching at Marquette for many, many more years. I have had more fun watching this program over the past five years than I ever could have imagined. And, I am extremely proud of the core values that Buzz preaches to our group (accountability, selflessness, work ethic and commitment...just to name a few).

All that said, if he were to leave for UCLA (and for the record, I do not see this happening) I would imagine that the Marquette community would go through some soul-searching and there would be a lot of talk as to whether this is a "stepping stone" job. In reality, I firmly believe only a handful of places are destination jobs, and even then, it's important to remember that even Roy Williams left Kansas for UNC. But again if Buzz left for UCLA, it would be very disappointing but I don't believe it would create any sort of negative perception around our program. In actuality, if our program is a coaching feeder for the bluest blood programs - producing head coaches for schools like Indiana and UCLA - I think it would provide us with the ability to continue to attract top flight, up-and-coming coaching talent especially considering the resources we have continually committed to the program. If Crean had taken the Illinois job and Buzz had bolted for SMU, I would feel quite differently. There is no shame (only disappointment) in losing coaches to schools like UCLA and  Indiana.

Again, I hope to Hell this doesn't happen. It wouldn't make it feel much, if any, better if he did leave for UCLA. And I love Buzz and want him here for the long haul.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:01:51 PM by MarquetteVol »

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
Honestly, I'd be stunned if he left for any job over the next few years. Including Texas, if it opens up.

Think about what it would mean for him, professionally and personally, to leave this year. If Otule comes back, Buzz would be walking away from 95% of (at least) a Sweet Sixteen team returning. He's also got a top-10 to top-15 recruiting class lined up and the Milwaukee area is HUGE for recruiting over the next few years. And he's making a significant amount of money at MU (top-10 compensation), so it's unlikely a school will make an offer that Marquette wouldn't or couldn't match. Not to mention Buzz legitimately cares about the guys on the team. So what benefit is there for him to leave? I'm sure an opportunity exists that would make him reconsider (Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.). But I'm not worried about a lateral move.

I'm done speculating about him leaving. I honestly believe he's in it for the long haul. Don't mess with happiness, right? And I'm glad he's focused on Miami rather than disputing every job opening that comes up.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
'I know this is a story to you guys, and you have to do your job, but people's lives are at play here'

Paraphrasing, but I read this as Buzz politely telling them to shut the hell up (sorry, LW) with the "Buzz to" talk.

However, I must say, I would have thoroughly enjoyed Buzz letting him ask the whole drawn-out UCLA question and responding with "No."  That's it.  As in,

-"Buzz, Howland was fired...blah blah blah....you're a winner....blah, blah blah...play hard...blah blah blah....UCLA's tradition...blah blah blah....would you take that job, if offered?"
-"No."
-"Okay, well, that's Marquette's Buzz Williams, everybody."

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
Honestly, I'd be stunned if he left for any job over the next few years. Including Texas, if it opens up.

Think about what it would mean for him, professionally and personally, to leave this year. If Otule comes back, Buzz would be walking away from 95% of (at least) a Sweet Sixteen team returning. He's also got a top-10 to top-15 recruiting class lined up and the Milwaukee area is HUGE for recruiting over the next few years. And he's making a significant amount of money at MU (top-10 compensation), so it's unlikely a school will make an offer that Marquette wouldn't or couldn't match. Not to mention Buzz legitimately cares about the guys on the team. So what benefit is there for him to leave? I'm sure an opportunity exists that would make him reconsider (Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina, Kansas, etc.). But I'm not worried about a lateral move.

I'm done speculating about him leaving. I honestly believe he's in it for the long haul. Don't mess with happiness, right? And I'm glad he's focused on Miami rather than disputing every job opening that comes up.

These are my thoughts exactly.  Add that his young kids are in school and have made friends over the last 6 years and it gives hime even more reason to stay.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
ESPN insider has its list of coaching candidates for UCLA and Buzz is not on their speculative list.  The UCLA gig could be filled from NBA ranks as well.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
I don't know why you would walk away from a job where you are on the brink of having a run of success that legends are made of. If this team wins Thursday or even makes it to the final four it has arrived a year early since everyone has always been talking about how next year is the year with the returning players and recruiting class.

All of these jobs are rebuilding projects, except maybe UCLA, so why start over? What if you can't recapture the magic somewhere else? Then you are just a has been coaching at a mid major.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »
First and foremost, I LOVE Buzz Williams and hope he is coaching at Marquette for many, many more years. I have had more fun watching this program over the past five years than I ever could have imagined. And, I am extremely proud of the core values that Buzz preaches to our group (accountability, selflessness, work ethic and commitment...just to name a few).

All that said, if he were to leave for UCLA (and for the record, I do not see this happening) I would imagine that the Marquette community would go through some soul-searching and there would be a lot of talk as to whether this is a "stepping stone" job. In reality, I firmly believe only a handful of places are destination jobs, and even then, it's important to remember that even Roy Williams left Kansas for UNC. But again if Buzz left for UCLA, it would be very disappointing but I don't believe it would create any sort of negative perception around our program. In actuality, if our program is a coaching feeder for the bluest blood programs - producing head coaches for schools like Indiana and UCLA - I think it would provide us with the ability to continue to attract top flight, up-and-coming coaching talent especially considering the resources we have continually committed to the program. If Crean had taken the Illinois job and Buzz had bolted for SMU, I would feel quite differently. There is no shame (only disappointment) in losing coaches to schools like UCLA and  Indiana.

Again, I hope to Hell this doesn't happen. It wouldn't make it feel much, if any, better if he did leave for UCLA. And I love Buzz and want him here for the long haul.

I was amused by your post because I find myself doing the same thing every time I post something about Buzz that someone, somewhere might consider even remotely negative -- or anything less than glowingly positive.  Start with disclaimer:  I REALLY LOVE BUZZ!!!1!  Then say what you want to say.  Then finish with another:  I love Buzz and hope he retires here!!!

When I read your first paragraph, I knew that there must be something coming about how we could survive without Buzz.

It's kind of ridiculous that you have to put that kind of opening and closing paragraph to avoid being attacked on this board where we're all Marquette fans, but I find myself doing it too.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
'I know this is a story to you guys, and you have to do your job, but people's lives are at play here'

Paraphrasing, but I read this as Buzz politely telling them to shut the hell up (sorry, LW) with the "Buzz to" talk.

However, I must say, I would have thoroughly enjoyed Buzz letting him ask the whole drawn-out UCLA question and responding with "No."  That's it.  As in,

-"Buzz, Howland was fired...blah blah blah....you're a winner....blah, blah blah...play hard...blah blah blah....UCLA's tradition...blah blah blah....would you take that job, if offered?"
-"No."
-"Okay, well, that's Marquette's Buzz Williams, everybody."

I think Buzz is almost using that "people's lives are at play" as a cop-out hoping people will feel bad for asking the question so he can avoid answering it.

1. I think it is really ridiculous to make that statement in the first place. Yeah, people may need a new job, but it's not like their life is destroyed. Tone it down a bit.

2. End speculation by just saying I will not leave with this team returning and this class coming in. It buys you some time and stops people from talking about it for six months. If he can't say that, it is his fault for entertaining offers and not the reporters for asking the question.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »

2. End speculation by just saying I will not leave with this team returning and this class coming in. It buys you some time and stops people from talking about it for six months. If he can't say that, it is his fault for entertaining offers and not the reporters for asking the question.
i wish he'd do this but if you set that precedent then he needs to say that every year or it will seem even more like he's out the door.

As much as this sucks I think the best way for him to handle it is how he has been. Say nothing, and stay. After 10 years of this people will be comfortable that when Buzz says nothing it means nothing.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
I think Buzz is almost using that "people's lives are at play" as a cop-out hoping people will feel bad for asking the question so he can avoid answering it.

1. I think it is really ridiculous to make that statement in the first place. Yeah, people may need a new job, but it's not like their life is destroyed. Tone it down a bit.

Agree 100%. That was a complete non-answer

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
Agree 100%. That was a complete non-answer
And I'm not trying to hate on Buzz but people seem to put coaches at God status. As much as Buzz is a good guy, I'm sure we all have career aspirations. If you left you company for a just at a more prestigious company where you get a slight pay increase but you also get better resources (easier to get higher recruits), does that make you a horrible person? No. But at the same time it is hard to balance personal desires and the PR machine.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Local CBS News joining the tin foil club.

Had a piece just now on Buzz and prospects of leaving for UCLA, etc.

Better than the send off they got last year at least.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:13:22 PM by Stone Cold »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
I don't know why you would walk away from a job where you are on the brink of having a run of success that legends are made of. If this team wins Thursday or even makes it to the final four it has arrived a year early since everyone has always been talking about how next year is the year with the returning players and recruiting class.

All of these jobs are rebuilding projects, except maybe UCLA, so why start over? What if you can't recapture the magic somewhere else? Then you are just a has been coaching at a mid major.

Keep in mind that next year's team, I think, will be *much* better than this year's team. I think we open as a legit Elite 8 threat and can improve from there. No reason to leave.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Buzz has the power to end all speculation anytime he wants. If there is something he does wrong it would be handling this type of talk. He is savvy guy and while he shots from the hip I believe most every word is thougt out. Either someone close to him or Buzz himself allows members of national media to have idea he could make a change. Somebody in national media either knows something or has been led to believe something.

Truthfully I do hold Buzz responsible for some of this talk. One of my favorite parts about Buzz is that he is savvy. People around the country might think he is country bumpkin or redneck and I say they are all wrong. He would be first redneck in history wearing Gucci's from what I can see. He either wants people to think he can be had or he loves the attention.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
And I'm not trying to hate on Buzz but people seem to put coaches at God status. As much as Buzz is a good guy, I'm sure we all have career aspirations. If you left you company for a just at a more prestigious company where you get a slight pay increase but you also get better resources (easier to get higher recruits), does that make you a horrible person? No. But at the same time it is hard to balance personal desires and the PR machine.

Let's stop trying to equate sports with real life. Sports is a fantasy world.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
Buzz has the power to end all speculation anytime he wants. If there is something he does wrong it would be handling this type of talk. He is savvy guy and while he shots from the hip I believe most every word is thougt out. Either someone close to him or Buzz himself allows members of national media to have idea he could make a change. Somebody in national media either knows something or has been led to believe something.

Truthfully I do hold Buzz responsible for some of this talk. One of my favorite parts about Buzz is that he is savvy. People around the country might think he is country bumpkin or redneck and I say they are all wrong. He would be first redneck in history wearing Gucci's from what I can see. He either wants people to think he can be had or he loves the attention.

I love Buzz, but he's like any other coach in one respect: They're all masters at never closing a door completely.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
Plenty of coaches close 99% of the doors. Guys in the media are not all complete idiots. Buzz linked to UCLA or Texas if it opened is fair game. Buzz linked to SMU or Minnesota or other less than blue blood jobs is crazy. I think Buzz needs to do better job of what he is linked to and what he is not linked to. IMO he does have some control over that.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
Every spring around here I am reminded there are more annoying things in life than political elections.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
There's so much at play here that it's impossible to know what's really going on...couple of possibilities:
1.  Buzz wants to leave for a big time school and is a complete fraud.
2.  Buzz wants to use his connections to have LW put in his place or fired.
3.  Buzz wants his name out there in the media to improve his salary.
4.  Buzz wants his name out there so when he's recruiting against a Oklahoma, UCLA, etc. he can say that he was offered that job, but would rather be at MU.
5.  Buzz said he'd stay as long as MU would have him, and it pisses him off that he has to repeat himself, so he won't.
6.  Buzz likes to screw with the media.
7.  Buzz regrets making the "I'll stay as long as they'll have me" comment, and is now trying to place blame on LW as a reason (legit or not) to leave.

If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC.  I'm sure he'll leave with much more class, and I don't know how bad the rift with LW is, but you can't say what he says and then leave...all while preaching honesty, ethics, religion, etc. at every turn.  I am skeptical of people who push religion, as so many turn out to be frauds.  I hope UCLA throws the house at Buzz so we can see if he passes this test.

Someone also mentioned TC and how he never mentioned God.  I remember being at a scrimmage (think it was haunted hoops) when a student had recently been shot at a house party (I believe that was the story anyhow), and he asked everyone in the stands to join hands and he said a prayer.  Then stated something along the lines of how we don't have to be afraid to pray in public at a school like MU, or something on those lines as he was taking a shot at public schools.  He soon thereafter left for a public school.  My guess is God told him to leave the kids who made their biggest investment in life in him by choosing to come to MU to play for him. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
All good points listed in the above post...way too many variables to discern.

That said, here's some more local media on the issue (doubting that he'd leave MU for UCLA)

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/199854031.html

Says Buzz won't leave because

1)  UCLA is in California, which is STRAPPED for cash.  MU would match any offer, anyway
2)  RELIGION more so than anything else.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
"If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC"

In terms of all coaches eventually leave - yes.    In terms of a human, not a chance - Crean is a total ahole of a person...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
I winder how fast a good coach would go to Minnesota or even UCLA, when they fire coaches that take their team to NCAA tournament. You are just asking to be fired in a few years. Why taker a chance ruining your career with a team that has unrealistec expectations, especailly Minnasota.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
"If Buzz leaves, I don't think he's any better than TC"

In terms of all coaches eventually leave - yes.    In terms of a human, not a chance - Crean is a total ahole of a person...
that's a tough call to make, and i hate tc.  to me, it's a deal where tc was an a-hole, but he was honest/arrogant in his desire to leave mu.  i'd often talk with people on the inside who would say he was looking to leave.  he treated people like a jerk, was a jerk, and left like a jerk...but that's who he was/is.

buzz preaches character, honesty, morals, ethics, God, etc.  if that's the case, i believe he sets a higher bar for himself, and if you preach that stuff, and then lie, i have a huge issue with it.  if he wanted to be honest, ethical, etc. and still leave for a bigger job...then he needs to make sure he's not making statements that people may base their lives on (his words), and not following through with those statements (I'll stay as long as they'll have me). 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
I winder how fast a good coach would go to Minnesota or even UCLA, when they fire coaches that take their team to NCAA tournament. You are just asking to be fired in a few years. Why taker a chance ruining your career with a team that has unrealistec expectations, especailly Minnasota.

It goes to show how many coaches are overconfident and megalomaniacs.  They think, "that will never happen to me, I am so much better than coach X."  Or, "if I do get fired I can get another job easy."

These schools who fire coaches who make multiple final fours really depend on the fact that the new, prospective coach just thinks it will never happen to them or can get a new job easy.

feedback