'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FGCU  (Read 24708 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: FGCU
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/80768/fgcu-coachs-risks-are-paying-off

He has shoehorned his way into an NBA coaching gig, begun a startup software contract management company that was worth $100 million when he opted out, went back to coaching as a Division I assistant, took a head coaching job at a university in its infancy, and two years into its Division I status, brought it to the NCAA tournament.

Oh, did we mention he’s also married to a one-time lingerie/bathing suit model?

“He is the most confident person I’ve ever met,’’ said Enfield’s wife, the former Amanda Marcum who has graced the covers of Maxim, Elle and Vogue.

Spin is everything.  While the quoted article contains bits and pieces of everything you said in your original statement ("Their coach worked on Wall Street and has an estimated net worth of $50 to $100 million.  His wife is a former lingerie supermodel.") it doesn't technically support any of those statements.  I'm not saying any of those things are untrue, I have no idea, just that the article you quoted doesn't really say any of them.  Nothing about Wall Street;* nothing about his estimated net worth; and nothing about being a "supermodel" (however the heck that is defined).  While he clearly is an entrepreneur; apparently did make some good money on a start-up; and his wife is a former model, a little hyperbole is great for the marketing machine.  His agent must be licking his chops.  And probably hers as well.

Edited to clarify that last sentence:  "Like his agent, her agent also must be licking his chops" (not his agent licking her chops).

*Edited again:  I now see the Wall Street mention in the article...my bad for not reading past the quote in the thread before shooting my mouth off.  I left my original statement above intact to invite the ridicule and shame I deserve.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:13:16 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 02:07:28 PM »
In her defense, those other pictures were also 3 kids ago.

Where I was watching (Friday night party at the Lexington Hilton), the sound was down, so I assumed at some point they mentioned she was an ex-model, but we never heard that; we only knew she was the coach's wife from the graphic. It was the crowd consensus that was a former hottie, but she was not aging gracefully. 

She was definitely trying too hard.  I am pretty sure she was the only coach's wife in the arena that was wearing a spaghetti-strap top; it was below freezing in Philadelphia that night.
Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
Not to take anything away from FGCU, but is a 15-seed being in the Sweet 16 an indictment of the selection committee's incompetence?

No.

It's an indictment of the play in college basketball this season.

tower912

• All American
Re: Florida Gulf Coast
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/03/25/scott-sanderson-and-lipscomb-beat-florida-gulf-coast-twice/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

Interview with the coach who beat them twice this year.    Apparently, Lipscomb beat them playing fast.   Who knew?

http://college-basketball.si.com/2013/03/24/florida-gulf-coast-defense-san-diego-state/

Also, they were playing a modified 1-3-1 that nobody ever really got a feel for, mixing in some 2-3.     

Unusual defense, uptempo offense.    Their coach is going somewhere colder soon. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:18:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
No.

It's an indictment of the play in college basketball this season.

I'm not sure I have seen a wider gulf between the quality of play in the NCAA and the NBA than this year.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
I'm not sure I have seen a wider gulf between the quality of play in the NCAA and the NBA than this year.

I agree and I think that's why NBA guys like Mike Brown and Flip Saunders are getting looks by college teams. College basketball needs an influx of new blood.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
I think FGCU is a breath of fresh air simply because their brand of basketball isn't the dreadfully dull style we see at Wisconsin, at Georgetown, from Temple against IU, where every possession has the weight of the world on it.    They are actually having fun, playing fast, making plays, and playing without fear.   I had my fill this past weekend of offenses that play at a glacial pace and don't involve much movement. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »
I agree and I think that's why NBA guys like Mike Brown and Flip Saunders are getting looks by college teams. College basketball needs an influx of new blood.

I'm beginning to think that college players might be a little over-coached on the offensive end.  Part of FGCU's success is their wide-open style

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »
I'm beginning to think that college players might be a little over-coached on the offensive end.  Part of FGCU's success is their wide-open style

Definitely over-coached and too much emphasis placed on controlling tempo.

FGCU has some pretty athletic guys, but its their pace of play and the ability to freelance that made them look so much more athletic than Georgetown and SDSU.

I love what Fred Hoiberg has done at Iowa State. That's a program on the rise. I would love to see more NBA types in college basketball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Fun team to watch, great excitement to the tournament, but now they face the Gators.  13 point underdog right now and I will be rooting like crazy for them to win, but I think they really get spanked. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
Heh...OK this is good.

http://deadspin.com/are-you-ready-for-fgcu-to-dunk-its-way-into-your-heart-458692226

"It's refreshing to see a college team succeed without forgetting the fact that they are, you know, college dudes. These aren't the young men of Duke, souls sucked dry by the Krzyzewskian ethos, servants to The System. These are guys who like to dunk and play basketball and have fun and entertain, which is the entire point of basketball."

AND

"The worst thing about March Madness is the TV-enabled beatification of the coaching class, which by and large is made up of grim, glowering fascists who left their sense of humor back at the 1989 Nike ABCD Camp. Maybe Enfield will wind up like everyone else, but so far, he's been a delight. Maybe that has something to do with his unconventional background. A former assistant coach for the Bucks and Celtics, Enfield left the NBA to help found a tech startup that made him a millionaire before his 40th birthday. He then got back into the coaching game, working as an assistant at Florida State before taking the head coaching gig at FGCU. He's also married to a former Victoria's Secret model, whom he took to Taco Bell on their first date."

AND FINALLY...

"FGCU itself is kind of strange. The university has only had on-campus students since 1997, and the economics department is aggressively, evangelically pro-capitalism. Like, every-student-gets-a-copy-of-Atlas-Shrugged pro-capitalism. It's the Chicago school of economics with a better tan. Here's a really weird website that is run by one of the economics professors and gives off a bit of a 9/11 Truther vibe. But let's not concern ourselves with that right now. Let's just enjoy the Eagles, dunk by irreplaceable dunk."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »

I believe it may have been Bilas who was discussing this a couple weeks ago. He said that the offenses of a lot of college basketball teams are run like football teams - the coach calls a play, the players line up and try to execute. The other team gets the ball, same thing. There's not much freedom for players. Definitely not the case for FGCU!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
Spin is everything.  While the quoted article contains bits and pieces of everything you said in your original statement ("Their coach worked on Wall Street and has an estimated net worth of $50 to $100 million.  His wife is a former lingerie supermodel.") it doesn't technically support any of those statements.  I'm not saying any of those things are untrue, I have no idea, just that the article you quoted doesn't really say any of them.  Nothing about Wall Street;* nothing about his estimated net worth; and nothing about being a "supermodel" (however the heck that is defined).  While he clearly is an entrepreneur; apparently did make some good money on a start-up; and his wife is a former model, a little hyperbole is great for the marketing machine.  His agent must be licking his chops.  And probably hers as well.

Edited to clarify that last sentence:  "Like his agent, her agent also must be licking his chops" (not his agent licking her chops).

*Edited again:  I now see the Wall Street mention in the article...my bad for not reading past the quote in the thread before shooting my mouth off.  I left my original statement above intact to invite the ridicule and shame I deserve.

Florida Gulf Coast's Basketball Coach Is A Self-Made Millionaire Who's Married To A Former Model

http://www.businessinsider.com/andy-enfield-wife-ncaa-tournament-2013-3#ixzz2ObQUaxv7

And this ....

http://www.fgcuathletics.com/athletics/directory/2104/andy-enfield/

During his collegiate playing career at Johns Hopkins University, Enfield set the all-time NCAA career free throw percentage record with a mark of 92.5 percent (431-466). Enfield still holds nine career records at Johns Hopkins and was inducted into the school's Athletic Hall of Fame in 2001. He led the team in scoring in all four seasons en route to a program record 2,025 career points thanks to the top two single-season point totals in school history with 606 points in 1990 and 610 points in 1991.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Glad to hear someone else say exactly what went through my mind. HDTV did her no favors.

Her dick is estimated to be worth 50-100 mil. She should spend a little on Botox.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 03:13:21 AM »
Their coach worked on Wall Street and has an estimated net worth of $50 to $100 million.  His wife is a former lingerie supermodel.

He actually never worked on the Street. He was a partner in TractManager that had a terminal valuation of about $68MM. His shares were worth appox $8MM at the time of dilution. Not sure how much he sold off but a very far cry from $50-100MM. Still, a very nice payday.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »
He actually never worked on the Street. He was a partner in TractManager that had a terminal valuation of about $68MM. His shares were worth appox $8MM at the time of dilution. Not sure how much he sold off but a very far cry from $50-100MM. Still, a very nice payday.

He said he worked on Wall Street in the post game pressed after beating
GU.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
I think FGCU is a breath of fresh air simply because their brand of basketball isn't the dreadfully dull style we see at Wisconsin, at Georgetown, from Temple against IU, where every possession has the weight of the world on it.    They are actually having fun, playing fast, making plays, and playing without fear.   I had my fill this past weekend of offenses that play at a glacial pace and don't involve much movement. 

Especially out of a 15-seed. It seems like more often than not those lower seeded teams win by limiting possessions, hitting threes, and generally getting back to basics. Against Georgetown, FGCU looked like the 2-seed. That was really impressive to watch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »
Andy Enfield: 'I still have to work'

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2013/story/_/id/9099818/florida-gulf-coast-eagles-andy-enfield-wealth-to-work

Faced with a story that had spiraled out of control, Florida Gulf Coast University coach Andy Enfield addressed reports of his vast wealth.

"I still have to work," Enfield told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi on Monday afternoon.

Scores of publications and news outlets reported that Enfield was a co-founder of health care business information firm TractManager, and that the company was worth $100 million. It was then inferred by many that Enfield, making $157,000 at FGCU, was independently wealthy. Enfield has not revealed how much money he has made off the company or how much he still has invested.

After it was reported on ESPN on Monday that Enfield's story circulating in the media wasn't entirely accurate, the company's founder, Tom Rizk, said he started to get calls.

"I have no idea where that $100 million number came from," Rizk said. "It didn't come from our organization."

Rizk volunteered that the private company is worth more than that, while also confirming that Enfield's piece of the business "makes up a small percentage."

"He was part of our company, he made a modest investment, he cashed out some of his stake and he still retains a small piece," said Rizk of Enfield, who was among the first group of employees, but was not a founding partner. "But, at least by my definition, he is not independently wealthy."

Rizk said he doesn't believe Enfield, who was the company's vice president of finance, participated in the inaccurate portrayal of his financial situation.

"When a story spirals like it did, it's not easy for someone who isn't experienced in this world to correct those things," Rizk said.

Rizk, who met Enfield after his son Geoff attended the coach's basketball camp, said that he had no doubt that when Enfield got back into coaching he'd be successful.

"I knew when he took the Florida Gulf Coast job that he would have success early in his career," Rizk said. "That the team would win the conference championship, that they'd go to the NCAA tournament. Andy works in a way where he sees a situation and finds a solution. He puts a plan together and then executes it. That's the way he runs his business life and I suspect his personal relationships as well."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
Well...the guy never claimed to found anything.  I mean was he ever even asked?

This is so typical.  "Hey isn't this guy refreshing?  He's rich...his team plays fun ball...his wife is hot.  Now let's try to figure out how to tear the guy down."

Deadspin nails it.

http://deadspin.com/the-fgcu-house-of-cards-is-crumbling-458790633

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Well...the guy never claimed to found anything.  I mean was he ever even asked?

This is so typical.  "Hey isn't this guy refreshing?  He's rich...his team plays fun ball...his wife is hot.  Now let's try to figure out how to tear the guy down."

Deadspin nails it.

http://deadspin.com/the-fgcu-house-of-cards-is-crumbling-458790633

When SI wants to build you up, they dispatch Pete Thamel to do some in-depth reporting.

brandx

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »

All those scores in the 50's kinda make it so, huh? I definitely agree with you - and I blame Digger. Couldn't slow their offense down enough -  cuz all he had to work with were a bunch of future NBAers. Probably half the coaches in the country could've won at east one championship with those teams.