[Today at 04:36:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FGCU  (Read 24755 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: FGCU
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/80768/fgcu-coachs-risks-are-paying-off

He has shoehorned his way into an NBA coaching gig, begun a startup software contract management company that was worth $100 million when he opted out, went back to coaching as a Division I assistant, took a head coaching job at a university in its infancy, and two years into its Division I status, brought it to the NCAA tournament.

Oh, did we mention he’s also married to a one-time lingerie/bathing suit model?

“He is the most confident person I’ve ever met,’’ said Enfield’s wife, the former Amanda Marcum who has graced the covers of Maxim, Elle and Vogue.

Thanks.  I posted pictures of the wife yesterday, now I know the incentive.  Nice.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Their coach worked on Wall Street and has an estimated net worth of $50 to $100 million.  His wife is a former lingerie supermodel.

Any surprise the bread and supermodel go hand in hand? The guy is no Romeo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:36 AM »
I thought she looked a little rough when they showed her at the game on Friday night. Either it's been a hard few years for her, or Photoshop really works miracles.

Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
Now, THERE is a coach's wife who would love for her husband to take the UCLA job.    Too big a jump for him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Florida Gulf Coast
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
Just curious what people think of them. I don't know that I've ever seen a 13 or lower seed just absolutely destroy a team they way they did Georgetown. The Hoyas made a late run, but they never really had a chance. And FGCU looked pretty darn good against San Diego State, who is supposed to be one of the better MWC teams.

So what is it? Were they just mis-seeded? They did fine in conference, but had losses to awful teams in Lipscomb (twice), ETSU, and Stetson. And it wasn't like they were blowing everyone else out by 20, almost half (6/13) of their conference wins were by single digits.

Their biggest weaknesses in the season were turning it over too much and rebounding, but they've held their own in both departments against two pretty good programs. So will they get exposed by Florida as pretenders, much as the Gators did to NSU last year, or can they actually compete in that game?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

augoman

• All American
Re: Florida Gulf Coast
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
After seeing them last night I'm beginning to wonder if the NCAA will start sniffing around the program.  My friends in Bonita springs tell me the school is behind the outlet mall, has a couple buildings and a high school gym on the water, offers degrees in police investigation.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
They may have been underseeded by a line - not many 15 seeds have regular season wins over a 2 seed or are ranked in the top 100 of the RPI.  That said, Georgetown, while deserving of the 2 seed, has been playing on a razor thin margin for months, relying on Otto Porter to carry them.  He definitely ran out of steam the last couple weeks of the season.  San Diego St. was overseeded by a couple lines and has struggled to score this whole season.  They tried to run with FGCU and it doomed them.  So they took advantage of circumstances and are playing confident ball right now.  But I think Florida crushes them.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
After seeing them last night I'm beginning to wonder if the NCAA will start sniffing around the program.  My friends in Bonita springs tell me the school is behind the outlet mall, has a couple buildings and a high school gym on the water, offers degrees in police investigation.

It's a public university of 12,000 students that has accredited programs in business and engineering amongst others.  It's a real place.  Pretty remarkable because it has only been around for 20 years or so.

Retire54

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
The thing that seemed to make the biggest difference was that they forced both GTown and SDSU to play FGCU basketball. Both GTown and SDSU prefer to go with the half court, deliberate offense whereas FGCU was able to score a lot on the break. As a result, Gtown and SDSU got flustered and tried to score on the break.

I think with a week to look at the team, Donovan will be able to game plan against it and force turnovers to get FGCU flustered. It really is amazing how loose FGCU played, and I think you have to give props to Enfield. But I think the whole "we have nothing to lose" will wear off and Florida will win by 15+

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »
Random thoughts (which don't get to what you're asking):

They're a lot of fun to watch. 

Borrowed from Anonymous Eagle:
https://twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/315986689506033665
Didn't realize that we had a hand in helping them early in their history, thanks to trying to schedule a patsy late in the year. 

Also, think Jamail will have a great couple years with them. 

Box score from '08:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2008/03/04/florida-gulf-coast-37-marquette-67
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
My co-worker attended FGC.  She said the school has grown leaps and bounds in the last 5-6 years as it used to be nothing.  According to Wikipedia the school was only founded in 1991 and is part of the Florida State university system.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
My nephew lives in Fort Myers area and is a freshman there (pre-med, I think).  Visited the campus over the holidays.  It is a big school growing yearly.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »

See this is a problem, you assume they are cheating just because they aren't suppose to win like they did and they are behind an outlet mall/not your typical S16 school.  NCAA can't do any out of the ordinary that they don't do with other schools just because they shocked people.  Same problem occurred with Old Miss when their football recruiting class was stellar.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
Build a football team and the America-12 will include them in expansion prolly...

But seriously...great story, fun to watch, it's gonna be exciting down the stretch.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »
Now, THERE is a coach's wife who would love for her husband to take the UCLA job.    Too big a jump for him?

On the surface yes, but this is a guy who seems to understand how to make things happen for himself.  I wouldn't say it is impossible.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
Not sure they have to cheat...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:24:54 PM by esotericmindguy »

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
For those who want the abbreviated of what they do, here is a highlight reel.
http://deadspin.com/dunk-city-heres-all-of-fgcus-postseason-slams-compi-458654269?autoplay=1

Man these guys are fun to watch. I kept thinking, "what a terrible shot... holy $#!t, its an alley oop."
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
I thought she looked a little rough when they showed her at the game on Friday night. Either it's been a hard few years for her, or Photoshop really works miracles.

Glad to hear someone else say exactly what went through my mind. HDTV did her no favors.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »

In her defense, those other pictures were also 3 kids ago.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
They were mediocre in conference.   That must be a heck of a conference!   I see a team with a leader, a PG who can get anywhere on the floor, enough height to bang, athleticism at 5 positions and absolutely no fear.    I enjoy their off-ball movement.   It was so refreshing to see bigs picking down for wings to pop out, and then picking across so that the post player comes across with a couple inches of space.  And then, after all of that movement, instead of just doing the dribble drive thing, they are doing dribble drive with cutters and trailers.   I don't know if what they are doing is the wave of the future, but it sure is a splash of cold water to the face after watching endless 3 man weaves out top and then somebody trying to make a play late in the shot clock. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
As a side not, isn't FGC the team Tom Crean scheduled late in one season because he wanted to improve our record in the last 10 games before the NCAAs?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
Yes.    They were the late-season addition between the end of the BEast season and the start of the tournament.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »

If you are curious about a degree in "police investigation", perhaps you should check out their website http://www.fgcu.edu/ and look into the program. If you were unable to locate the website on your own maybe you should. If performing a basic google search on the school is deemed too challenging I wouldn't count on an acceptance letter. That is, if you can figure out how to apply.

feedback