[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Another look at the last-second Davidson victory and the "extra" timeout  (Read 2470 times)

MJS_Says

Another look at the last-second Davidson victory and the "extra" timeout

Lexington, Ky. - In one of the most thriling finishes in MU history, the Golden Eagles were out of timeouts.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/199622171.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [MJS Blog] Another look at the last-second Davidson victory and the \
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
Uh oh....Hunt used the L word

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
As I watched this again, I noticed that Davidson also got an extra time out too, right?  Didn't their players get to huddle with their coach and come up with a defensive plan?  Did their coach not scout the STJ game when Vander drove to the basket not once but twice for key buckets?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »

Death on call

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:01:01 AM »
As I watched this again, I noticed that Davidson also got an extra time out too, right?  Didn't their players get to huddle with their coach and come up with a defensive plan?  Did their coach not scout the STJ game when Vander drove to the basket not once but twice for key buckets?
+1
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »
This happens almost every game.    The officials go to the monitor to check something and coaches from both teams get a free time out.    The only reason this is even being talked about is because a completely normal event happened at a crucial time and game MU a chance to gather itself for a last second shot.     McKillop told his team what MU was probably going to do and how he wanted it defended.    He was right.   Almost an unfair advantage for Davidson.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
This happens almost every game.    The officials go to the monitor to check something and coaches from both teams get a free time out.    The only reason this is even being talked about is because a completely normal event happened at a crucial time and game MU a chance to gather itself for a last second shot.     McKillop told his team what MU was probably going to do and how he wanted it defended.    He was right.   Almost an unfair advantage for Davidson.     

Interesting take on McKillop's complaint on this. Bottom line is everybody knew that Blue would drive to the hole yet they failed to stop it. I am curious how McKillop explained letting Marquette score 25% of its total points in the last 2 minutes?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
McKillop ... grow up! :'( This is such a non-issue.

Clock situations, injuries, players fouling out ...  all these things result in "unfair timeouts" and they happen over and over and over again.

I'll tell you what, Coach. Next time such a situation happens with you having no timeouts, I think you should tell the ref: "No, we're fine with there being less time on the clock for us to try to score the winning basket. Don't bother checking the monitors. We'd hate to benefit from an unfair advantage."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
McKillop ... grow up! :'( This is such a non-issue.

Clock situations, injuries, players fouling out ...  all these things result in "unfair timeouts" and they happen over and over and over again.

I'll tell you what, Coach. Next time such a situation happens with you having no timeouts, I think you should tell the ref: "No, we're fine with there being less time on the clock for us to try to score the winning basket. Don't bother checking the monitors. We'd hate to benefit from an unfair advantage."

+1000

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Vander scored with one second on the clock.  Checking the monitor put 1.7 seconds back on.  Davidson comes from a conference where a full time out is one minute long, and a 30 second time out is really only 30 seconds.  In a game where MU was air balling lay ups and just needed one point to tie...how a coach with a team of that foot speed isn't in a zone there was the unfair advantage.  McKillop meet mirror.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »

Exactly. Davidson was "lucky". The great Bob "Sour Grapes" McKillop got a free time out to remind all of his Rhodes Scholar candidates that Vander would drive to the hoop off a high ball screen JUST LIKE HE DID TWICE recently against St Johns. Presumably the great Bob McKillop had access to and watched those tapes. A simple switch to a zone could have stopped it. Bringing extra help against Van could have stopped it. They're we're less than 7 seconds left, and McKillop left his 6'10" center with the  responsibility of guarding Van on the top of the key off a ball screen with no help. And some geniuses are foolish enough to think he out coached Buzz because we missed a bunch of shots. Incredible.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
Looks to me like both coaches were coaching during that time out.    Davidson coach wasn't just sitting there scanning the cheerleaders he was prepping his team for scenarios.

Part of the game that I like really, there should be some variables in sports..

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
The stoppage to adjust the clock happens all the time and is part of the game, it's a non-issue.  No need to stop making sure the clock is correct, no need to put the players in a corner away from their coach, none of that.  MU was indeed lucky to pull it out, but that wasn't part of the luck.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
It is so common and such a non-issue that the real story would have been if Buzz HADN'T used the opportunity afforded him by the officials making sure they had the correct amount of time.   If he HADN'T done it and Blue doesn't make the shot, then their would have been something real to criticize. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback