Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sour grapes on Davidson board  (Read 24784 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Sour grapes on Davidson board
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
You crack me up.

Its ok to be lucky sometimes.  ITs OK!!  LOL

Sometimes, when you play like crap but find a way to win with some luck, IT's OK.

Mets against the Red Sox....they won...they got lucky. 

Some of you take it as some great scarlet letter against the team or Buzz or whatever.  Good grief.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...that's what happened yesterday.  We made some killer shots...that's execution.  We then got very lucky with three consecutive items in a span of 3 seconds.  ITs OK.  It is a win, a great win....and we were lucky.  I will take it. 

Buzz knows it, every fan base in the country knows it except for a few here that think we executed them throwing it out of bounds, executed the shot clock review by the officials, executed fouling their player but not having the ref call it.  LOL.  Sorry, the video doesn't lie.

Great win....rather be lucky than good sometimes because most of yesterday's game we weren't that good.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »
I think some MU fans saw the other team was wearing red and just presumed their fans were classless, arrogant morons. Not the case with Davidson. Terrific program, classy fans on their board.

leever

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...that's what happened yesterday.  We made some killer shots...that's execution.  We then got very lucky with three consecutive items in a span of 3 seconds.  ITs OK.  It is a win, a great win....and we were lucky.  I will take it. 

Buzz knows it, every fan base in the country knows it except for a few here that think we executed them throwing it out of bounds, executed the shot clock review by the officials, executed fouling their player but not having the ref call it.  LOL.  Sorry, the video doesn't lie.

Great win....rather be lucky than good sometimes because most of yesterday's game we weren't that good.

Chicos -

I agree with most of this.  But, I do think that they threw the ball out of bounds at least in part because we had two guys running at the passer and putting a lot of pressure on in the backcourt - that's not luck.  The foul that you describe clearly happened, but once the ball left his hands the refs were paying attention to the pass and not the passer at that point.  They missed it, and that was lucky.

And, you're right that it's lucky there was a review of the time left.  Keep in mind that the clock WAS wrong.  We might all be crying about poor officiating if we didn't get that extra time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
Is it just me, or is Chicos working triple overtime to minimize this great win?

It's not just you. He's been doing it on a regular basis ever since his "epiphany" on April 8, 2008.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »

So when the other team turns it over it's luck? I'd say poor play on Davidson's part. An official missed a call? They probably missed 20 during the game. Always do. We got lucky because of a clock review? That's automatic in that situation. This would be comical but at least understandable coming from a Davidson fan. It's just silly and argumentative coming from one of ours.

If you want to say we were lucky that three straight threes went in, okay. But the thing is we MADE those shots. And we missed a lot we usually make earlier. Does that mean we were unlucky?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2013, 05:33:30 PM »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Time to chuck bad monitor rule that gave Marquette extra timeout

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-21/marquette-davidson-comeback-timeout-monitor-tuck-rule-extra-timeout

Thanks AOL Sports
I guess I just don't get the complaint. If Marquette had a time out at that point, didn't use it, but still huddled up to discuss the play, would everyone still be complaining? Didn't Davidson huddle up during that time without wasting one of their timeouts?

I get the being pissed at the presser and saying things you don't really mean. That's going to happen. But that fact that this has become a meme is really intriguing to me.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

The Process

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
Time to chuck bad monitor rule that gave Marquette extra timeout

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-21/marquette-davidson-comeback-timeout-monitor-tuck-rule-extra-timeout

Thanks AOL Sports

This was, what, the mirror of the game winning play run against SJU?  Huddle or no huddle, they probably would have run the same play.  The fact that Davidson's coach failed to recognize that this was likely the play call and failed to prep his team properly in his huddle is not an excuse for him to groan about the rule needing to be changed.  I wish someone in the media would bring that up rather than focusing on his need for a wah-bulance.

The reason why this is becoming a meme is because the analysts who picked Davidson need to validate why they were right and how their brilliance was spoiled by some "stupid" rule.
Relax. Respect the Process.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Besides the time out an all that, who didn't know Vander was getting the ball and driving to the hoop?  If there was no time out, Vander was going to get the ball and drive it to the hoop.  You could make a convincing argument that the TO should have helped Davidson more than us as they had time to plan a defense to the play.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
I guess I just don't get the complaint. If Marquette had a time out at that point, didn't use it, but still huddled up to discuss the play, would everyone still be complaining? Didn't Davidson huddle up during that time without wasting one of their timeouts?

I get the being pissed at the presser and saying things you don't really mean. That's going to happen. But that fact that this has become a meme is really intriguing to me.

Exactly right. The whole basis of the complaint is the idea that a team must use a timeout if it is going to huddle up and discuss the play. But Davidson huddled up and discussed defensive strategy without calling a time out just as much as Marquette did offensive strategy. The same standard needs to apply to Davidson. But had Davidson called a timeout to be able to discuss the play, as they apparently feel a team must (even though they didn't), Marquette also would have been able to huddle up and discuss the play during that timeout. And we'd still be in the exact same spot we are now.

I fail to see the unfair advantage.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
Exactly right. The whole basis of the complaint is the idea that a team must use a timeout if it is going to huddle up and discuss the play. But Davidson huddled up and discussed defensive strategy without calling a time out just as much as Marquette did offensive strategy. The same standard needs to apply to Davidson. But had Davidson called a timeout to be able to discuss the play, as they apparently feel a team must (even though they didn't), Marquette also would have been able to huddle up and discuss the play during that timeout. And we'd still be in the exact same spot we are now.

I fail to see the unfair advantage.

Great point on the Davidson time out saved.  The reason being is that after Vander scored, they used their last time out with one second left to set up a Hail Mary play...otherwise, if they used that to set up a defensive set, they would have been in a scramble.  Fact is, both teams benefited equallynwith the clock review...and one could argue Davidson benefitted more.

In the end, McKillop was out coached as he had the wrong defensive set called out of the stoppage.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
The "extra timeout" was not an "unfair advantage." I still don't understand why Davidson didn't go to a 2/3 zone given our faster and more athletic players. I could see them going man only if we needed a 3. With limited time they could have gone zone and doubled the player with the ball. There wasn't time for an extra pass and shot. There was literally only a second to spare after MU got its shot off.
We Are Marquette

TJ

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
The timeout that people should be complaining about is after a guy fouls out. I hate that - coach should get enough time to point to someone sitting on the bench and that's it.

All this hype, on the otherhand, is a waste of time. The only way would be to take away official reviews, and as annoying as they can be sometimes they usually do more good than harm. How can you say that the coach can't talk to his team when the officials stop play for an extended period of time to go to the monitor?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
This wouldn't be an issue at all if McKillop hadn't whined about it.  You would see no debates...no articles...nothing.  Yet the referees did everything within the boundaries of the rules.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
This wouldn't be an issue at all if McKillop hadn't whined about it.  You would see no debates...no articles...nothing.  Yet the referees did everything within the boundaries of the rules.
exactly

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
Not sure if this was posted. Postgame video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RREpNTcXEU&sns=em
SS Marquette

The Process

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »

Bingo. Too bad the journalists can't call him out for whining about something that he should have used to set up a zone for the OBVIOUS play call. Staying in a man D is what gave Vander the chance to drive like that. Did McKillop not watch ANY game film of MU?  Does Davidson not have so much as a VCR, let alone YouTube?
Relax. Respect the Process.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
Luck occurs at the crossroads of preparation and opportunity.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »
Sure it was luck and MU took advantage of the situation.  I seem to recall an NCAA game against Mizzou when one of their guys, a poor free throw shooter, was "hurt" when fouled and they got to bring one of their best free throw shooters in to take the shots.  What comes around goes around.
But even if they wanted to how could they "fix" this advantage.  So you say MU can't huddle.  So can Buzz stand in the coaches box and the 5 starters stand in bounds right next to him??  Is he not allowed to talk, can he not use sign language, do the players have to stand right where they were when the official time out was called.  This is stupid, its not a big advantage (not anywhere near the advantage of picking a free throw shooter), just move on.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
It's not just you. He's been doing it on a regular basis ever since his "epiphany" on April 8, 2008.
He's actually been doing it since Joanie Crean was friendly to his MU-clad wife in a mall during a previous NCAA appearance.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Yes. Ya betta recognize Jonathan Xavier when he's in your face!

I'd love a gif file of him walking onto the court and trying to call time out. It was awesome on so many levels.

http://youtu.be/MqVGMLBOqnY

He went pretty meekly, though. You gotta admit.

Death on call