Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ridiculously overconfident  (Read 4807 times)

MU82

• All American
Ridiculously overconfident
« on: March 21, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
I am not an I-told-you-so guy. In fact, in the year or so I've been posting here, I've never once said it. But ...

Numerous threads leading up to the game wondered why Davidson was considered an upset threat. The posters kept suggesting anybody who picked Davidson was a clueless idiot. I kept explaining that Davidson was a sound team that makes FTs, can hit 3s, has a stud in Cohen, etc. I have seen Davidson at least a dozen times this year -- Marquette was the only team I had seen more often -- and I said I totally understood why an objective observer might make Davidson an upset special.

The response? People who never had seen Davidson play one second this season mocked them for being "traditional" and for being from a rinky-dink conference. And they mocked anybody who dared suggest that Marquette wouldn't win in a rout.

Instead of concentrating on what we do know -- that Marquette is a good (but definitely not great team) with serious flaws -- many posters chose to concentrate on Davidson, who couldn't possibly be any good "because they don't have Steph Curry, you know."

You know what? Nobody took Davidson seriously when they did have Steph Curry until it was too late.

Why anyone who has watched us all year would be overconfident, I don't know. They must have been watching a different Marquette team that apparently steamrolled every opponent and then rolled to victory in the Big East tournament.

Marquette was very, very, VERY fortunate to win this game. Not saying anything everybody doesn't know there. My emotions are still too high for me to talk about all the things we did wrong (and thankfully all the things that went right at the end).

All I'll say is that I'm thrilled to be able to say "I told you so" after our guys miraculously pulled it out.

There. End of rant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ridiculously overconfident
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
+1000

We have played like crap lately, but win.  The idea that we would blow anyone out is comical.  They outplayed us, outcoached us but somehow we won.  An 80% FT shooting team shot 50% today, that really hurt them.

I keep hoping we will play a good game away from the BC, but it looks like we'll just keep slogging away with ugly ball....survive and advance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
They didn't outcoach us.  McKillop spit the bit by not getting easy baskets and calling TO when they were clearly rattled in the backcourt.

And they didn't outplay us either because we scored more than they did.

Nice try though.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
I am not an I-told-you-so guy. In fact, in the year or so I've been posting here, I've never once said it. But ...

Numerous threads leading up to the game wondered why Davidson was considered an upset threat. The posters kept suggesting anybody who picked Davidson was a clueless idiot. I kept explaining that Davidson was a sound team that makes FTs, can hit 3s, has a stud in Cohen, etc. I have seen Davidson at least a dozen times this year -- Marquette was the only team I had seen more often -- and I said I totally understood why an objective observer might make Davidson an upset special.

The response? People who never had seen Davidson play one second this season mocked them for being "traditional" and for being from a rinky-dink conference. And they mocked anybody who dared suggest that Marquette wouldn't win in a rout.

Instead of concentrating on what we do know -- that Marquette is a good (but definitely not great team) with serious flaws -- many posters chose to concentrate on Davidson, who couldn't possibly be any good "because they don't have Steph Curry, you know."

You know what? Nobody took Davidson seriously when they did have Steph Curry until it was too late.

Why anyone who has watched us all year would be overconfident, I don't know. They must have been watching a different Marquette team that apparently steamrolled every opponent and then rolled to victory in the Big East tournament.

Marquette was very, very, VERY fortunate to win this game. Not saying anything everybody doesn't know there. My emotions are still too high for me to talk about all the things we did wrong (and thankfully all the things that went right at the end).

All I'll say is that I'm thrilled to be able to say "I told you so" after our guys miraculously pulled it out.

There. End of rant.

We are fans we are supposed to be overconfident.  You think it really mattered if we were overconfident?

Norm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
MU82,

Yep. MU was VERY VERY lucky to pull that one out. I think Davidson played well but I also think that MU was its own worst enemy most of the game. Did Davidson ever play that much zone defense? Did you ever see them miss that many free throws? Cohen is definitely a stud.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
Maybe we should invite them to the Big East.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
+1000

We have played like crap lately, but win.  The idea that we would blow anyone out is comical.  They outplayed us, outcoached us but somehow we won.  An 80% FT shooting team shot 50% today, that really hurt them.

I keep hoping we will play a good game away from the BC, but it looks like we'll just keep slogging away with ugly ball....survive and advance.

Pretty much where I'm at.  If we could find a way to remedy our home environment or play in this tournament, I'd be more optimistic about our chances and our play.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:21:03 PM »
They didn't outcoach us.  McKillop spit the bit by not getting easy baskets and calling TO when they were clearly rattled in the backcourt.

Nice try though.

Well, yeah, they did outcoach us. No reason that team should have nearly beat MU, much less held them in the 50s while doing it.

That said, I hope MU82 doesn't strain a tricep patting himself on the back for joining about 1 billion other experts out there in predicting a close game and possible upset.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
Whatever MU82 - Mu played like crap and pulled it out.   they are a much better team than Davidson...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:47 PM »

Nice try though.

Looks like the internets don't agree with you...or the analysis just now on tv.  To each their own.  They executed very well, they missed their free throws (not a coaching situation) and they threw it away.  We got damn lucky, but I'll take it.  By the way, that was a 14 seed vs a 3 seed...

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

There. End of rant.

All the reasons you were concerned proved to be legit, but overall I don't see that there was overconfidence by any means. If anything, there was concern more akin to us being the 14 seed and them the 3 rather than overconfidence. At some point I think people tired of everyone picking Davidson as an upset special and responded to that, but overconfidence, I don't think that was the general consensus. Aside from that, MU played absolutely horribly on the offensive end most of the game. It reminded me of some of the days of old when you couldn't even discern what our objective was at times on offense. All that said..........WIN AND MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »
Save the "I told ya so" bs for a game we lose.

We put that game on a platter for 39 minutes. A good team beats us like a rented mule playing the way we did.

We play well and that game isn't even close.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »
They didn't outcoach us.  McKillop spit the bit by not getting easy baskets and calling TO when they were clearly rattled in the backcourt.

Nice try though.
No kidding... Davidson didnt call a TO before they threw it out of bounds w/ 10 on the clock was dumb... cost them the game, they could have kept the free-throw war going.

Not to mention keeping Blue on the bench as long as Buzz did likely made him available to be on the court for the last shot.

Coaching advantage: Buzz
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Well, yeah, they did outcoach us. No reason that team should have nearly beat MU, much less held them in the 50s while doing it.

"Good coaching" isn't "the other team missing shots."  At the end, Buzz's guys were poised and McKillop's guys weren't.

Looks like the internets don't agree with you...or the analysis just now on tv.  

Nothing but empty platitudes.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
By the way, that was a 14 seed vs a 3 seed...

So is Marquette a true 3 seed or not?  It seems like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth around here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
No kidding... Davidson didnt call a TO before they threw it out of bounds w/ 10 on the clock was dumb... cost them the game, they could have kept the free-throw war going.

Not to mention keeping Blue on the bench as long as Buzz did likely made him available to be on the court for the last shot.

Coaching advantage: Buzz

That was a 14 seed vs a 3 seed....just a reminder.   They lost to UW-Milwaukee for Christ sake.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
McKillop didn't outcoach Buzz.   If MU makes a layup, holds onto a rebound, doesn't step out of bounds for the first 38 minutes, the game would have gone the way MU expected.   So many little things didn't go MU's way.     Buzz used his TO's perfectly, worked the two minute drill perfectly, and MU finally hit some shots.    McKillop should have called TO with ten seconds left, but a non-ballhandler got the ball and made a panicked pass.   Buzz drew up the play and Vander delivered.  

But MU wasn't doing anything wrong, other than missing shots.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »

Exactly.  I re-watched it more than once, and the Davidson guy had this doe-eyed look probably thinking "WHY AREN'T THEY FOULING ME???  THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO FOUL ME!!!"  

They call TO there and they can reset the 10 second clock, run a play to get someone open, and get fouled.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
That was a 14 seed vs a 3 seed....just a reminder.   They lost to UW-Milwaukee for Christ sake.
and they outplayed and out coached us.... but we won...

only thing here that is below par is your analysis
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
That was a 14 seed vs a 3 seed....just a reminder.   They lost to UW-Milwaukee for Christ sake.

Why do you have to be such a wet blanket?

I will never forget that game.  That is what basketball is about in March.  And all you can do is sit back there with your above-it-all attitude.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:34:23 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
+1000

We have played like crap lately, but win.

True sign of a good team.  

dinger

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
"Buzz got out coached" is one of those memes of muscoop.com. It's also ridiculous. We shot like crap all game and still won. Coaches don't shoot the ball, and sometimes shots don't drop,

McKillop is a good coach and Davidson is a good team. Maybe the best team seeded under 10. The oddsmakers were close and the score should surprise no one.

We won. Whatever attitude you think we had should be wiped out by the guts they displayed by making every shot in the last minute and a half.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
Amen and alleluia.   Buzz didn't get outcoached.    The team missed layups, had looseballs go off their hands out of bounds, stepped out of bounds a number of times.    It is a testament to his coaching that MU stayed in it as well as they did with absolutely nothing going their way.     Held a high scoring team to 58.   Won while getting nothing from JWilson for a lot of the game.      Great.    Freaking.    Coaching.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
and they outplayed and out coached us.... but we won...

Which is exactly what I said.  Sounds like my analysis is pretty good.   ;)

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
   They lost to UW-Milwaukee for Christ sake.

Yeah - I'm still struggling with that.  I mean, I know it intellectually, but my gut doesn't believe it possible.

Did Davidson have three starters out with the flu that night?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

feedback