collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 197165 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
Would it be that difficult to make HBOGo a pay site/app?

Yes because all of us doing the heavy lifting for HBO would scream bloody murder.  We have to incur the 20,000 agents, the billing, the marketing, etc.

That's the dilemma for them.  They have 29 million subscribers that they don't bill or service today.  Tremendous cost they avoid

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 10:41:46 PM »
Yes because all of us doing the heavy lifting for HBO would scream bloody murder.  We have to incur the 20,000 agents, the billing, the marketing, etc.

That's the dilemma for them.  They have 29 million subscribers that they don't bill or service today.  Tremendous cost they avoid

Or maybe it wouldn't be that difficult....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/hbo-go-without-cable_n_2926926.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
Or maybe it wouldn't be that difficult....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/hbo-go-without-cable_n_2926926.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Headline doesn't come close to fitting the article....typical Huff Post

"We would have to make the math work," he added."

There are billions of dollars generated from HBO's existing distribution network and to simply circumvent that would not make business sense, Plepler said in January, according to the Wall Street Journal.

That's the key, and they know today the math doesn't work.  They'll find out even harder it doesn't work when cable, telco and satellite sever their deals and since so many people that subscribe to the HBO service don't have broadband, they would be leaving hundreds of millions on the table and very irate customers.  The margins on HBO are very small, the distributors would walk away in a heartbeat.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »
I never knew Kahlisse is actually a brunette.  http://hollywoodlife.com/pics/game-of-thrones-red-carpet-pics-season-3-premiere/#ref=/2013/03/19/game-of-thrones-red-carpet-premiere-season-3-pics/pos=

The tall woman in season 2 (Gwen Christie), the knight...wow, real life she is every bit that tall.  I would say 6'3" or so

Lena Headley is smoking hot in real life...also a brunette..  Stana Katic also there. 

The one that surprised me the most is Michelle Fairley, who plays Catelyn Stark.  She looks so haggard on the show with makeup.  She is much more attractive in person than I would have gathered.  

A lot of fun.  I'm a geek for the show so I was like a kid in a candy store at the after party. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) was there, Kit Harrington (Rob Snow) and a host of others.  They had the iron throne on display along with some very cool props.  Good times.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/lena-headey-broke-game-thrones-queen-cersei-less-142000944-us-weekly.html

Quick Chicos, dump the wife and support Lena!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
So, halfway through the season now.  How's everyone liking it? 

[no book spoilers or your typing hands will suffer the fate of Kingslayer's right hand]

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

[no book spoilers or your typing hands will suffer the fate of Kingslayer's right hand]

I love it.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »
The season has been a bit slower than past, but the writers are setting things up for some huge plot twists regarding all the characters.  Things will change dramatically soon.

The acting is outstanding and last night's interaction between Jamie and Brienne in the baths was Emmy worthy acting as was Tryon telling Cersai and Tyrion that that have to marry Sansa and Lord Tyrell to gain control of the Seven Kingdoms.  HBO's work effort in everything, including the actors, set design, costumes, etc. is first class and rivals bigtime movies. 

Chapman:  No spoiler here, but I believe the finale (or close to) will be the "Red Wedding", which is a game changer, off the charts, holy sh*t moment.  I have read the books, so do not, repeat do not, WIKI anything regarding the show. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »

Haven't watched last night's episode yet, but it's been pretty good. No spoilers, but the book this season is based on is, in my opinion, by far the best of the series. There have been rumors they are breaking the third book up into two seasons, which is disappointing because there is so much I want to see happen this year.

My only disappointment actually goes back to last season. In the books, the first time Daenaerys uses the "Dracarys" command is in the slave city, not with the warlocks in Qarth. As awesome as the moment with the Unsullied was, it was fall-out-of-the-chair amazing when Dani capped the incident with "Dracarys". A bit dampened with the whole warlock side story last year (that departed completely from the books).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
Chapman:  No spoiler here, but I believe the finale (or close to) will be the "Red Wedding", which is a game changer, off the charts, holy sh*t moment.  I have read the books, so do not, repeat do not, WIKI anything regarding the show. 

There are actually two wikis, which is really cool.  Game of Thrones Wiki only covers the show so it's very useful for getting background, the related A Song of Ice and Fire wiki covers the books so I avoid that one.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
There are actually two wikis, which is really cool.  Game of Thrones Wiki only covers the show so it's very useful for getting background, the related A Song of Ice and Fire wiki covers the books so I avoid that one.

OK, but avoid that other one for sure.

Get back to this thread in a few weeks after the "Red Wedding" and your thoughts. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 08:11:59 AM »
OK, but avoid that other one for sure.

Get back to this thread in a few weeks after the "Red Wedding" and your thoughts. 

Seriously, even speaking that name is a huge spoiler.  Really dirty move.  If you watch the shows you shouldn't even come to this thread.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »

IGN has a phone ap that helps you follow along. Works with the show much better than the book.
Incredibly helpful since it breaks down the book/show differences throughout the season, offers and episode guide and character wiki
HBO's map is probably the best I've seen as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »
The season has been a bit slower than past, but the writers are setting things up for some huge plot twists regarding all the characters.  Things will change dramatically soon.

The acting is outstanding and last night's interaction between Jamie and Brienne in the baths was Emmy worthy acting as was Tryon telling Cersai and Tyrion that that have to marry Sansa and Lord Tyrell to gain control of the Seven Kingdoms.  HBO's work effort in everything, including the actors, set design, costumes, etc. is first class and rivals bigtime movies. 

Correct...I was able to see some of the future episodes and I think you will continue to enjoy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 07:38:40 PM »
HBO sent me some Dragon Eggs and a cauldron to hold them....and a shot glass...they must know. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »
I have especially enjoyed the last two episodes, especially the 4/21 show. Edge-of-my-seat stuff. Agree wholeheartedly that the bath scene and the Tryon-Cersai-Tyrion in this week's episode were outstanding.

A fun, addictive, typically fantastic HBO production.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 06:04:48 AM »
For those who have read the books, I understand they are splitting A Storm of Swords over this season and next (which actually makes sense to me). How do you think they'll handle A Feast for Crows? Will they let it stand alone or will they sort of blend it with A Dance With Dragons over a couple seasons of the show? Speak in general terms so as not to spoil. But seriously if you haven't read the books get off your unnatural carnal knowledgein lazy ass and ream em. Read em in the crapter if you have to.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
For those who have read the books, I understand they are splitting A Storm of Swords over this season and next (which actually makes sense to me). How do you think they'll handle A Feast for Crows? Will they let it stand alone or will they sort of blend it with A Dance With Dragons over a couple seasons of the show? Speak in general terms so as not to spoil. But seriously if you haven't read the books get off your unnatural carnal knowledgein lazy ass and ream em. Read em in the crapter if you have to.

I'm sure they will blend the stories.  No one wants to see certain characters missing for a couple of seasons.  Also, ADWD and AFFC take place during the same time.  What we will probably see is 4-5 seasons from those two books.  The timelines will be different from the books.  And it could be 4 or 5 depending on how far GRRM is with TWOW.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 09:04:53 AM »
I'm sure they will blend the stories.  No one wants to see certain characters missing for a couple of seasons.  Also, ADWD and AFFC take place during the same time.  What we will probably see is 4-5 seasons from those two books.  The timelines will be different from the books.  And it could be 4 or 5 depending on how far GRRM is with TWOW.

The producers have said it's very likely the show overtakes the books since the general plot is developed and they won't stall the series for GRRM to finish writing.  Given the many poor reviews for books 4-5 with "bloated" and "lack of plot movement" being the criticisms I'm reading it would seem they'll probably be more like two seasons to get a good pace out of them.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
I tend to think the 3rd book needs to be split into two TV seasons if only to allow enough time for Martin to finish writing the last 2.

Killing me on his time frame to write a book.  Come on MAN!  At the same time I enjoy them enough that I can be patient so that they are as good as the first 5.

And I know the way it is set now, the TV show shouldn't overtake the books, but....Martin has been known to push back his books release a year at a time.

Also read somewhere that Martin has told the shows producers enough of the story highlights for the last two books that if he should pass away before he is done writing them all that they will be able to continue the show as he had envisioned it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Seriously, even speaking that name is a huge spoiler.  Really dirty move.  If you watch the shows you shouldn't even come to this thread.

+1

Does this site have spoiler tags? Because stuff like that should be hidden, if posted at all.

As far as pacing, I heard that ASOS will be done over two seasons. It makes sense, as we're half done and I don't think near halfway through what goes on in that book.

AFFC and ADWD will be done simultaneously, they also announced that. As mentioned, you don't want to see popular characters vanish from the storyline for a season and a half. Look at what they're doing with Theon...providing more insight into what happens to him during this time period even though it wasn't covered in the book. Also, AFFC and ADWD are supposed to take place over 3 seasons I believe. So the timeline should look something like this...

Season 1 (2011): AGOT
Season 2 (2012): ACOK
Season 3 (2013): ASOS Part 1
Season 4 (2014): ASOS Part 2
Season 5 (2015): AFFC/ADWD Part 1
Season 6 (2016): AFFC/ADWD Part 2
Season 7 (2017): AFFC/ADWD Part 3
Season 8 (2018): TWOW Part 1
Season 9 (2019): TWOW Part 2
Season 10 (2020): ADOS

I would guess we'll see TWOW come out around 2016-17, giving Martin enough time to have that done before the shows based on that book airs. Can he get ADOS done by 2020? It'll be tough at his current pace. He has shared plot points with the creators of the show in case he doesn't survive to see out writing the final book.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:20:50 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
I don't think they're overly concerned with the pace of the books.  Wouldn't be surprised to see 4 seasons for 4 books and ending after 8, or ending on a different note that doesn't cover everything since the producers have said they do not want to go ten seasons.  Guess we'll see what the current momentum does to their plans, but I'd expect things (ratings) to come back down to earth eventually.

http://io9.com/what-happens-when-em-game-of-thrones-em-runs-out-of-453871355

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »
I have especially enjoyed the last two episodes, especially the 4/21 show. Edge-of-my-seat stuff. Agree wholeheartedly that the bath scene and the Tryon-Cersai-Tyrion in this week's episode were outstanding.

A fun, addictive, typically fantastic HBO production.

Khaleesi is a badass.  Admittedly not the greatest actor but her character intrigues me.  I thought the Starks would be the characters I would be "rooting for" in this show but I have come to admire Khaleesi and hope she regains her throne.  I also find myself aligning with Jaime Lannister.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
Khaleesi is a badass.  Admittedly not the greatest actor but her character intrigues me.  I thought the Starks would be the characters I would be "rooting for" in this show but I have come to admire Khaleesi and hope she regains her throne.  I also find myself aligning with Jaime Lannister.

Something I find very interesting is that people who watch the show only refer to her as Khaleesi.  People who have read the books tend to call her Dany or Daneyrs

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
Something I find very interesting is that people who watch the show only refer to her as Khaleesi.  People who have read the books tend to call her Dany or Daneyrs

As someone who only watches the show, it's because Iain Glen constantly refers to her as this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »

Even more of a badass in person.  Brunette as well.  She was quite stunning.

feedback