Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tired of our WI brethren  (Read 7411 times)

sailwi

• All American
Tired of our WI brethren
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
On vacation in Hualtulco Mexico, pretty remote place and I run into 45 people from Appleton.  Wearing my MU hat at the pool all day and only mention I get is why aren't a Badger fan, also heard one idiot day something to the effect that MU is too "urban ".  Oh well while there we all po'ed because they ran out of bud light I just Mentioned it will be nice to have a conference championship in WI this year.  Trust me none of these Einstein's ever sniffed UW but the continued lack of respect is frustrating.  Hope Internet works on Saturday so I can watch the game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:45:47 PM by mu_hilltopper »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Tired of our WI breteran
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
MU is too "urban " 

That's what Adolph Rupp said, too, back in the day. Al had no use for that racist and his way of thinking. Al also had Rupp's number and a lot of people throughout the nation rooted for Marquette against UK.

I was at the VA two days ago and was wearing a Marquette t-shirt. A Vietnam era dude came up to me and told me he was from near Eau Claire, asking if I went to Marquette. He is actually a UW grad but said for hoops he has always followed Marquette, remains a fan of Al, and is thrilled to see this year's success. I offer this only to say that not all Wisconsonites lack an affinity for MU.

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
I am a Wisky grad that has followed MU ball for almost 50 years, why not?  If you are from Milwaukee, love hoops, why not?  It is more fun winning then what happened in the 90"s.
Never forget when talking to Mike Deane about his recruiting class of John P, Mike Bargen and Jarrett Lovette.  They were all nice players, but seriously, how does that compare to
now and seeing kids in the Top 100 looking at MU.  By the way, Koenig is a real nice player, will be interesting to watch the careers of both Duane and him.  As Badger grad, last nights
game was horrendous, I think it is time for Bo to move on.  The game has changed, not sure his style has.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
 Trust me none of these Einstein's ever sniffed UW

vs.

He is actually a UW grad

I am a Wisky grad

That says it when you're in WI, especially outside of Milwaukee.  The UW hypheners or similarly uneducated of the state are the obnoxious idiots.  Actual UW alums typically have some maturity (probably develops after leaving campus though).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
vs.

That says it when you're in WI, especially outside of Milwaukee.  The UW hypheners or similarly uneducated of the state are the obnoxious idiots.  Actual UW alums typically have some maturity (probably develops after leaving campus though).

You can say whatever you want, but I think I did OK in Madison, it was the next 5 year education drinking Pabst beer everyday when working at Pabst!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:43:36 PM »
While attending all the MU games here in Jersey when we played either Rutgers or Seton Hall had the opportunity to chat with many MU alums who happened to be married to UW alums. Love does conquer all.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
Why do you consider them to be bretherans?

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »

Every one of the UW alumni I've met in Denver (and there are a lot...and more than them, the UW "fans") are all just shocked that I don't also like UW. And even more shocked when I say I don't like UW football.

"But Marquette doesn't HAVE football! You have to root for someone!"
No, I don't. And if I did, it certainly wouldn't be UW.

"But you're from WI! How are you not a Badgers fan?"
Same way people from NC aren't fans of Duke, UNC and NCSU.

"But I like Marquette and root for them!"

It's like incomprehensible to them. Man, I'm so glad I moved out of that state.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
vs.

Settle down Champ.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »
Every one of the UW alumni I've met in Denver (and there are a lot...and more than them, the UW "fans") are all just shocked that I don't also like UW. And even more shocked when I say I don't like UW football.

"But Marquette doesn't HAVE football! You have to root for someone!"
No, I don't. And if I did, it certainly wouldn't be UW.

"But you're from WI! How are you not a Badgers fan?"
Same way people from NC aren't fans of Duke, UNC and NCSU.

"But I like Marquette and root for them!"

It's like incomprehensible to them. Man, I'm so glad I moved out of that state.

Someone won't be ineligible to win the conference next year, Bucky!

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
Flying out of Milwaukee on Sunday I passed by the airport bar where the Purdue @ Wisconsin game was airing. I saw the score with around six minutes remaining, laughed out loud (not a bellow, but a little more than a chuckle) and was promptly serenaded with "must be a Marquette loser", "at least us Badgers don't have to root for criminals", and "you can't laugh at the Bucky and just walk away.......loser".

Never broke stride on my way to the gate. Brethren, indeed.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 08:19:28 PM »
Flying out of Milwaukee on Sunday I passed by the airport bar where the Purdue @ Wisconsin game was airing. I saw the score with around six minutes remaining, laughed out loud (not a bellow, but a little more than a chuckle) and was promptly serenaded with "must be a Marquette loser", "at least us Badgers don't have to root for criminals", and "you can't laugh at the Bucky and just walk away.......loser".

Never broke stride on my way to the gate. Brethren, indeed.

I don't know if it's just the group of people I am with, but I always find myself commiserating with Michigan State fans.  They sort of know the feeling of being the successful, yet for some reason still overlooked in-state, program.  Find myself rooting for them most of the time.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
I don't know if it's just the group of people I am with, but I always find myself commiserating with Michigan State fans.  They sort of know the feeling of being the successful, yet for some reason still overlooked in-state, program.  Find myself rooting for them most of the time.
agreed - found MSU fans to be pretty great.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
vs.

I'm a UW hyphener and I know at least 3-4 other posters on Marquette boards who are also hypheners and 3 of us grew up outside the Milwaukee area and for me, 320 miles from Milwaukee, so please don't lump everyone together.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »
I'm a UW hyphener and I know at least 3-4 other posters on Marquette boards who are also hypheners and 3 of us grew up outside the Milwaukee area and for me, 320 miles from Milwaukee, so please don't lump everyone together.

Yeah, my wife is a UW-Whitewater graduate.  I am sure she is glad to be lumped in to chapman's "similarly uneducated" pot of "obnoxious idiots."

A lot of irony in some of these posts.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »

Yes, they have been successful under Izzo. And yes, there is a reason the State university is overlooked.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Tired of our WI brethren
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Part of the reason is captured right here and has been that way for a long time

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/61681/State-Tournament-thread?page=5#.UTqnvMrueSo

They just don't like private schools (college or high school), many have an anti-Catholic or religious bent.  Then you throw in how successful the program has been over the years, and it's special hatred and ignorance they have.

MUlegends

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
F 'em. We only worry about ourselves from this point on. Another deep run in the tourney will prove that we are the only basketball program in the state that matters.

connie

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »
Having a degree from both I find WI fans "purer than thou" attitude telling.  For some reason they seem to think they are the true guardians of basketball purity.  I have heard more than my share of "athletic but ....." comments that would be stunning coming from such a "progressive" campus, if they weren't so common.  Always have fun when I can say I went to each school and ask on what they base their comparison.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Having a degree from both I find WI fans "purer than thou" attitude telling.  For some reason they seem to think they are the true guardians of basketball purity.  I have heard more than my share of "athletic but ....." comments that would be stunning coming from such a "progressive" campus, if they weren't so common.  Always have fun when I can say I went to each school and ask on what they base their comparison.

Are these racial comments made by UW folks?

Death on call

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
Did not mean to start a crap storm, but over served and frustrated.  Proud of my degree and thankful for the opportunities it has presented.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
They just don't like private schools (college or high school), many have an anti-Catholic or religious bent.  Then you throw in how successful the program has been over the years, and it's special hatred and ignorance they have.

Always seemed more of a "people who go to private schools are automatically 1%er snobs" attitude/excuse/jealousy.  Not that it's non-existent elsewhere, but WI had the strangest and strongest case of it of anywhere I've lived.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
There's no doubt in my mind racism plays a role in the way MU is treated in state. I've seen it on a regular basis.

Black guys in flashy uniforms make the "swing supremacists" squirm.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
There's no doubt in my mind racism plays a role in the way MU is treated in state. I've seen it on a regular basis.

Black guys in flashy uniforms make the "swing supremacists" squirm.

Yup, and the irony considering Madison and "what it stands for" is thick.  All I can say is they don't walk the walk in what they say and how they act in my opinion.  The demos are pretty amazing.  79% White, 7.5% Asian, 7.2% African American, 6.8% Hispanic....fighting whities