Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tired of our WI brethren  (Read 7410 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Tired of our WI brethren
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
Yup, and the irony considering Madison and "what it stands for" is thick.  All I can say is they don't walk the walk in what they say and how they act in my opinion.  The demos are pretty amazing.  79% White, 7.5% Asian, 7.2% African American, 6.8% Hispanic....fighting whities

How can UW Madison be one of the top schools in the world with so few Asians?

Death on call

connie

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:53 AM »
Are these racial comments made by UW folks?
Certainly not expressly stated.  I really think it is a combination of a number of factors already mentioned, with a dose of anti-elitism elitism added.  You know, the resentment against the perceived elitist school (MU) almost becomes an article of their faith.  Interesting, amongst the more hardcore bb fans I know from UW, this attitude has lessened with Buzz.  He seems to be earning their grudging respect as a coach, although I still hear the lines about how he has to exercise more control over his players. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Wisco (as a state) has a lot of people with a lot of state pride. Which is good (in general).

However, oftentimes that pride leads to a bit of arrogance.

A lot of people think The Packers are the greatest team in sports (for everybody). Lambeau is the greatest venue in sports (for everybody). Madison is the best college town (for everybody). Bo is the best coach who does a lot with a little (for everybody). Etc. etc.

It's hard for some people with a lot of WI pride to imagine that not EVERYBODY is in love with everything in WI.

I've lived in 3 different states, and this seams to happen more in WI than anywhere else.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »
Wisco (as a state) has a lot of people with a lot of state pride. Which is good (in general).

However, oftentimes that pride leads to a bit of arrogance.

A lot of people think The Packers are the greatest team in sports (for everybody). Lambeau is the greatest venue in sports (for everybody). Madison is the best college town (for everybody). Bo is the best coach who does a lot with a little (for everybody). Etc. etc.

It's hard for some people with a lot of WI pride to imagine that not EVERYBODY is in love with everything in WI.

I've lived in 3 different states, and this seams to happen more in WI than anywhere else.

Good point. I had someone ready to fight me because I said Braun got off on a technicality. ESPN did one of their daily polls last year and EVERY state except WI voted that Braun used steroids and beat the system. I think that you nailed it with overly exuberant pride. I follow you but I don't get how state pride extends to loyal support of UW; you're right it is there but I don't get why.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
I am a Marquette Alum, but I'm from Wisconsin and love the state.  I have a lot of UW alums as friends, and it is my experience that the most rabid UW fan is someone that never went to the school.  Crazy as it sounds, someone from Spooner that has been to Madison once or twice is more likely to be an in-your-face jerk that a graduate of University of Wisconsin -Madison.

As much as I love the state of Wisconsin, once you get outside of Milwaukee or Madison, the connectivity with the outside world diminishes rapidly.  "Root for another school besides UW, you must be crazy."

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
One word of advice for those raising kids in Wisconsin, pretend your son or daughter is planning to attend the University of Wisconsin.

My sister was academic all-everything in high school, and received one, small scholarship.  Every scholarship committee, and I mean every committee, was flabbergasted that she had not applied to the University of Wisconsin.  One committee rejected her during the interview because she was not planning to attend the University of Wisconsin, even though there was no requirement.  My family is convinced that if she had played along, applied to the University of Wisconsin, and said it was her dream school, she would have received a number of scholarships.  Take the scholarship money and go somewhere else.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
How can UW Madison be one of the top schools in the world with so few Asians?

That's the city of Madison, not the university

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
I am a Marquette Alum, but I'm from Wisconsin and love the state.  I have a lot of UW alums as friends, and it is my experience that the most rabid UW fan is someone that never went to the school.  Crazy as it sounds, someone from Spooner that has been to Madison once or twice is more likely to be an in-your-face jerk that a graduate of University of Wisconsin -Madison.

As much as I love the state of Wisconsin, once you get outside of Milwaukee or Madison, the connectivity with the outside world diminishes rapidly.  "Root for another school besides UW, you must be crazy."

The brainwashing in the state of Wisconsin is something to behold.  I lived in Ohio for many years, they're a pretty close second for OSU, but they don't look at disdain if you go to OU, Xavier, Dayton, etc.

warriorfred

• All American
Re: Tired of our WI breteran
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
I don't know if it's just the group of people I am with, but I always find myself commiserating with Michigan State fans.  They sort of know the feeling of being the successful, yet for some reason still overlooked in-state, program.  Find myself rooting for them most of the time.

We lived in Lansing for a few years, and once you get 20 miles outside of the city, everyone seemed to root for Michigan.  I feel a strange kinship with MSU fans, and will root for them in football.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Ah, yes. The slow white boys form WI. The fast "urban" boys from Marquette and Marquette doesn't have a football team anymore. Always remember that because it is always brought up by Buckys and Domers.  It has to 'cause it has so much relevance to basketball.....esp this time of year, right?

Snore.

What I AM amazed at is the the unbelievable amount of credit Bo Cryin gets from the national press every year and how Marq is ignored. Even this morning (Sat, March 9th) Marq failed to make ESPN's morning coverage of weekend games in ANY way, despite playing for a conference title. I am AMAZED that Lunardi, a small private school guy himself (St. Joe's) has us two seeds higher than Bucky right now, but that took a bad loss at the Kohl to do it.

Will be interesting to watch if all the cards fall in place and Marq makes it to the final in the Conf Tourn along with winning today and see if we are still a 4 seed. Watch us drop to 5 and Bucky go up to 2.

Hilarious how we have been ranked below all the teams BEHIND us in the BEAST for most of Feb.

Love being the underdog with the chip....and looking forward to destroying other teams on the boards and from downtown around Feb 15th of next year.
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
One word of advice for those raising kids in Wisconsin, pretend your son or daughter is planning to attend the University of Wisconsin.

My sister was academic all-everything in high school, and received one, small scholarship.  Every scholarship committee, and I mean every committee, was flabbergasted that she had not applied to the University of Wisconsin.  One committee rejected her during the interview because she was not planning to attend the University of Wisconsin, even though there was no requirement.  My family is convinced that if she had played along, applied to the University of Wisconsin, and said it was her dream school, she would have received a number of scholarships.  Take the scholarship money and go somewhere else.

I think this story is absolute bullsh*t.

Eldon

• All American
Re: Tired of our WI breteran
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »
We lived in Lansing for a few years, and once you get 20 miles outside of the city, everyone seemed to root for Michigan.  I feel a strange kinship with MSU fans, and will root for them in football.

I'm from Milwaukee and when I was a kid, I used to root for MSU football for some reason.  Anybody game for making MSU our unofficial BCS affiliate?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »

I think this story is absolute bullsh*t.

Nice. 

Did you grow up in small town Wisconsin Sultan?  Did you apply for small town Rotary Club scholarship?  Did you have to deal with high school guidance counselors, teachers, administrators, all pressuring a student to attend Wisconsin?

Did you ever wonder why every small town Wisconsin recruit (Butch, Koenig, etc...) go to UW?  If you stop, read, think, you will know the veracity of what I have written.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
Nice. 

Did you grow up in small town Wisconsin Sultan?  Did you apply for small town Rotary Club scholarship?  Did you have to deal with high school guidance counselors, teachers, administrators, all pressuring a student to attend Wisconsin?

Most of my family have, none of them have reported similar stories, and only one of them went to UW-Madison.  In fact my nephew who goes to Marquette got a real nice scholarship from his local community.

Did you ever wonder why every small town Wisconsin recruit (Butch, Koenig, etc...) go to UW?  If you stop, read, think, you will know the veracity of what I have written.

::)

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »
Sultan,

I'm curious, did your nephew apply to Wisconsin?

Anyhow, why take chances, have your kids apply to UW, it will help with the scholarship committees.