Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worthless chat  (Read 6881 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Worthless chat
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
So, Mike Hunt (love that name) does a JSOnline MU chat today...and it seems like half the questions are about Buzz leaving. Sad stuff. Why do I get the feeling this chat was filled with Becky fans trying to stir up trouble and stick it to MU?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/194702611.htmlhttp://

Eldon

• All American
Re: Worthless chat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
I also love that name lol.  But this

Rick Barnes is under some heat at Texas and if he does step aside, I'd say Buzz would be high on the short-list. Buzz, being a Texan, turned down the SMU job last year for better money because he rightly believed SMU basketball has an incredibly low profile. But if UT came calling, I'm not sure there would be anything Marquette could do to keep him. And nobody could blame Buzz if he left for that kind of opportunity.

this is alarming.  I've recently become a very big Longhorn fan.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
I also love that name lol.  But this

Rick Barnes is under some heat at Texas and if he does step aside, I'd say Buzz would be high on the short-list. Buzz, being a Texan, turned down the SMU job last year for better money because he rightly believed SMU basketball has an incredibly low profile. But if UT came calling, I'm not sure there would be anything Marquette could do to keep him. And nobody could blame Buzz if he left for that kind of opportunity.

this is alarming.  I've recently become a very big Longhorn fan.

teal? Or are you just new here...?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Hunt answered the questions asked.   Apparently, there is more concern out there than there is on the scoop board about Buzz leaving. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Pretty sure that all of our worrying was used up during the mega-epic thread

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
I thought that Hunt was extremely candid about answering the questions, especially the ones about Buzz and the possibility of him leaving.

I am new to Scoop so no teal.  When I heard about Buzz being targeted for SMU I thought 'no way' he leaves for SMU.  I was, however, a little more worried when he was being targeted for that Oklahoma job.  Is it common knowledge on here that Buzz would leave in a heartbeat for Texas?  Or is this just Hunt voicing his own personal opinion?  (I could search for threads on this, but, again, I'm relatively new and hence bad at searching the 689+ threads).

The reason I say it's alarming is that this is coming from the beat reporter for the team, who, I would imagine, has a good relationship with Buzz and privy to this type of info

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
I wouldn't say it is common knowledge.    There is a broad spectrum of opinion on the matter.    Just as there was a broad spectrum of opinion for the OK job.    There is a broad spectrum of opinion about the working relationship between Buzz and Larry.  There is a broad spectrum of opinion as to whether Texas would pay their basketball coach enough to pull Buzz away.    You can find threads that went dozens of pages on these very subjects.   I don't really have the stomach to rehash it all.    Do a little research and you will come away amazed at how well scoopers can debate minutiae out to infinity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
I thought that Hunt was extremely candid about answering the questions, especially the ones about Buzz and the possibility of him leaving.

I am new to Scoop so no teal.  When I heard about Buzz being targeted for SMU I thought 'no way' he leaves for SMU.  I was, however, a little more worried when he was being targeted for that Oklahoma job.  Is it common knowledge on here that Buzz would leave in a heartbeat for Texas?  Or is this just Hunt voicing his own personal opinion?  (I could search for threads on this, but, again, I'm relatively new and hence bad at searching the 689+ threads).

The reason I say it's alarming is that this is coming from the beat reporter for the team, who, I would imagine, has a good relationship with Buzz and privy to this type of info

Texas will always be a football school first. That will never change and buzz knows this. See this article from last week that clearly states that. And buzz would see Texas as a step up?  Hardly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/As-it-was-The-state-of-Texas-basketball-4308018.php

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »
DeLoss Dodds may be getting more pressure to do something as football and basketball are both suffering.   He's under heat just cause of football right now.

Gonna have to squeeze big time this offseason fellas.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
To get Buzz, Texas would likely to have to offer $3 million-plus per year. That might ruffle some feathers among the football people there.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »

OMG, our coach could leave!?! Oh nooooo~!

Yeah, we all know that would suck and is possible. So what else is new? It's amazing how the fans at Butler and VCU are so much more confident than their's will stay long-term. I mean, we've really only lost one coach to another program. I think every program should be worried if UT gets open.

Stevens, Shaka, Wright, Buzz, Dixon, Haith, Marshall, etc., are all legitimate options. We're assuming a lot to think Buzz is automatically #1 on Texas' list as well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:30:39 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
Is this really a concern in a season where Buzz is a very viable candidate for Big East COY and the basketball-only league is about to take off?

Rhetorical question.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Texas will always be a football school first. That will never change and buzz knows this. See this article from last week that clearly states that. And buzz would see Texas as a step up?  Hardly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/As-it-was-The-state-of-Texas-basketball-4308018.ph

Comeon. Is the real world not real anymore? UT IS a better job. The recruits, facilities, resources, are second to NONE. That is a hard job to turn down, probably only eclipsed by Kansas, UNC, UK, Indiana, UCLA, Duke, and equal with Michigan St, OSU, Arizona, Florida.

Does that mean its an automatic decision? Of course not. Sometimes you don't mess with happy as Buzz says. That doesn't mean you would never leave either.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Comeon. Is the real world not real anymore? UT IS a better job. The recruits, facilities, resources, are second to NONE. That is a hard job to turn down, probably only eclipsed by Kansas, UNC, UK, Indiana, UCLA, Duke, and equal with Michigan St, OSU, Arizona, Florida.

Does that mean its an automatic decision? Of course not. Sometimes you don't mess with happy as Buzz says. That doesn't mean you would never leave either.

Lets analyze every category

Facilities - MU equal to Texas FOR HOOPS.

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that? 

Recruits - state of Texas vs. Milwaukee/Chicago. Where are their better recruits?

Local support -MU clearly the winner.

Every other school you mentioned, I agree with you. But Texas hoops program, not a step up.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
If Buzz leaves it will break my heart. I would compare it to when Gorman Thomas left for Clevland :'(

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that? 

Recruits - state of Texas vs. Milwaukee/Chicago. Where are their better recruits?

Every other school you mentioned, I agree with you. But Texas hoops program, not a step up.

Plus, Buzz is a king in Milwaukee. If the football team is winning at UT, he'd never be anything more than a prince.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that?  

Oh, no you really are this delusional. You really don't know what Texas is capable of, do you?

I really don't want to go down the line and specifically refute each of your points because I don't think Marquette is much below UT at all, but the idea that UT doesn't have a private jet and that Texas doesn't have better recruits proves you really don't know.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Wasn't there a ridiculous stat about how many D-1 recruits were in the city of Houston alone? Chicago is great, but I think the state of Texas has a ton more recruits.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Oh, no you really are this delusional. You really don't know what Texas is capable of, do you?

I really don't want to go down the line and specifically refute each of your points because I don't think Marquette is much below UT at all, but the idea that UT doesn't have a private jet and that Texas doesn't have better recruits proves you really don't know.

This. If Texas calls he goes.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »

[/

Before you call me delusional, perhaps you should read what I wrote and let it sink in.  I did not say Texas doesn't offer a private jet. Where do you see that. I simply said that MU does offer a jet and you can't get much better than that. Secondly, how do you define better recruits?  Those ESPN rankings?  The success of the program in the NCAA tourney?  How about the number of players in the NBA?  Depending on what criteria you use, you could argue better recruits come to MU.

I'm not looking to argue.  My only point is that a rational person can definitely make the reasonable argument that MU is a more desirable place to coach hoops, that's all.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
This. If Texas calls he goes.

"He'll stay as long as Marquette will have him."

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
I thought this thread title was in reference to the last game day chat.  Where was everyone?
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »

MU is well known to have the second-highest ball budget in the nation... Sure UT is capable of outspending us... Many programs are.... But they don't.

Regarding Texas recruiting... Outside of Texas, Buzz's TX recruiting channels are a differentiator.... Inside Texas not so much. You could drop Jerry Wainwright into UT and he'd pull every top recruit.

I agree with Hunt that you can't feel bad if Buzz leaves for the job but that would be putting a lot of emphasis on coaching in your home state... Because every other part is pretty much even.

Although I will give you that top recruits are easier to get at UT than at MU.... and we all know Buzz doesn't like working hard.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
Conference strength/stability: MU
Compensation: MU
Big Dog on Campus: MU

Buzz's religious-heavy talking points won't play as hot at a liberal state school... Can't imagine a lot of broad UW fan support of Bo Ryan constantly referencing that "only God could author a story this great..."
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »

While I disagree with several of your points above, you forgot two important points:
1.  Like it or not, Texas has more money than Marquette
2.  Texas would spend any amount possible to trump Kansas in basketball in the Big 12

Neither of the above means Buzz would levw for Texas, but both should have you concerned over your points above.

feedback