Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Announcement of split today  (Read 10307 times)

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: Announcement of split today
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
OMG - are we going to get Cletus?

I thought WVU left the conference?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
I thought WVU left the conference?

Zing!

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
The supposed problem is that it makes any email that comes to, or leaves from, the servers at the public schools subject to public records requests, but IMO that isn't that big of a deal. 

Agreed--while a consideration, I think the FOIA thing, in and of itself, has been blown out of proportion with VCU.  IMO, the bigger issue (of which the FOIA implications may be a smaller part), with VCU is a cultural/branding thing.  As the only large, public institution, they'd be a significant outlier.  I think the conference is making an intentional effort to gather schools with similar profiles to help the branding of the conference overall--not just in basketball.  

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 09:51:39 AM »

Actually from a legal standpoint, the C7 are leaving, and buying the rights to the name.  So it is an accurate report.

Accurate schmacurate!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
Agreed--while a consideration, I think the FOIA thing, in and of itself, has been blown out of proportion with VCU.  IMO, the bigger issue (of which the FOIA implications may be a smaller part), with VCU is a cultural/branding thing.  As the only large, public institution, they'd be a significant outlier.  I think the conference is making an intentional effort to gather schools with similar profiles to help the branding of the conference overall--not just in basketball. 

I think that is exactly it.  And not just for branding reasons, but because of football possibilities.  It is *much* easier for public universities to set up football programs than it is for privates.  And one of VCU's former conference mates is moving ahead with that - Old Dominion.  And in fact will be part of Conference USA along with Charlotte.  I don't know if the C7 really trust any public university for that very reason.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
"The league's offices will remain in Providence, R.I., for at least a couple of years, sources said, even though Providence College is leaving."

I think this is my favorite rarely-discussed part of it. The soon-to-be-ex-Big East schools have no idea where their office will be so they're leaving it in the cradle of the old Big East, where they have no presence and where they will be reminded daily of what they used to be.
I have no ill will toward the conference we're leaving. I don't think any of this is Aresco's fault (maybe for not taking the huge deal offered by ESPN initially, but larger forces were at play here that would have ultimately manifested themselves in the current conference shifts). This break-up lies squarely on the shoulders of Cuse and PITT, and to a lesser degree WVU for precipitating the movement.  

Do I take some pleasure in Cincy and UCONN lingering in Nirvana? Yes.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
Does anyone currently watch games on a Fox produced regional channel? Just curious as to what their broadcast look like since I am so used to the ESPN/CBS layout. Even the current Big East Network obviously uses ESPN resources since it looks exactly the same. Just curious.

I haven't watched Fox Sports regional broadcasts of basketball, but I watch their baseball broadcasts a lot on Fox Sorts Wisconsin for the Brewers. Those productions are usually uneven early in the year and become pretty good by May. In my opinion, the production value on Brewers games never gets to the level that Fox national playoff games reach (obviously), but are far from amateurish. If our basketball games are broadcast as well as the typical FSWisconsin baseball game it would be a 6-7/10 and very watchable I think,

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Well, Aresco wasn't apparently the best of communicators and that manifested itself with the decision to add Tulane.  And while you can blame Pitt and Syracuse, honestly if you were in their shoes, you would take the ACC invite as well.  

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
Does anyone currently watch games on a Fox produced regional channel? Just curious as to what their broadcast look like since I am so used to the ESPN/CBS layout. Even the current Big East Network obviously uses ESPN resources since it looks exactly the same. Just curious.

Although, what I said above might be true, but if they bring on total hacks for talent that can't be bothered to research the teams or ask an SID for clarification on name pronunciation, then we'll be complaining about the broadcasts.

I've done a MU game in the past as color; we had it online and some people here said my partner and I did a decent job. I'm not an ex-basketball player and wasn't even a broadcasting major. It's not that hard of a job if you take it seriously.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
Didn't Fox carry the Paradise Jam tournament last year?  That wasn't exactly top notch production.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Didn't Fox carry the Paradise Jam tournament last year?  That wasn't exactly top notch production.

But that was produced by some independent production house and sold to Fox.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »

The supposed problem is that it makes any email that comes to, or leaves from, the servers at the public schools subject to public records requests, but IMO that isn't that big of a deal. 

It also isn't true.
Though it differs somewhat from state to state, there are many exemptions to the Freedom of Information Act. In Virginia, since that's the state we're talking about here, those exemptions include:
- personnel records
- attorney work product and privileged matters
- records of contract negotiations (not the final contract)
- student records
- health records

So, while having public institutions as members would open the conference up to some additional scrutiny, it's hardly the "everything is public" scenario some seem to be suggesting.
And, of course, every other major conference out there seems to be managing just fine with public school members.

There are reasons to prefer other schools over VCU, but this shouldn't be one of them.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

Doesn't anyone remember what happened when Fox won an NFL Sunday contract for the first time?  Everyone was certain that they would not be able to pull it off, and the product they would put out would be far inferior to the Big Three.  But instead, they hired great talent (for the most part), became technology innovators (Why do you think they call it the Fox box?), and had the other networks scrambling to keep up.

Why would they put any less effort into FoxSports1?
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
Why would they put any less effort into FoxSports1?

This is the key. If FS1 has any intention of being a legitimate challenger to ESPN, then they have to invest in the talent and technology to do so. Go out and find good producers and behind the scenes staff who can put together a solid production. Get good exec-level producers who can give the whole network a good consist graphical/production feel. And then spring for some smooth talent for the broadcasts themselves. I know a few people firsthand who are hands down better than some of the dregs that ESPN trots out on a nightly basis and who would be WAY cheaper.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
I have no ill will toward the conference we're leaving. I don't think any of this is Aresco's fault (maybe for not taking the huge deal offered by ESPN initially, but larger forces were at play here that would have ultimately manifested themselves in the current conference shifts). This break-up lies squarely on the shoulders of Cuse and PITT, and to a lesser degree WVU for precipitating the movement.  

Do I take some pleasure in Cincy and UCONN lingering in Nirvana? Yes.

You can blame Pitt for leading the charge to turn down ESPN's contract offer.  Or, you can blame ESPN for convincing the ACC to add Pitt and Syracuse.  Or you can say that how ever it happened, with football and TV involved, it was bound to happen.  The point is we're free of the mess - which in my mind will get messier still - with the best possible group of like situated schools, in a stable environment for the first time.  And we got away with a very favorable agreement.  Yea!

All I can say is thank God Pitt put the kaboosh on Villanova moving their football team up to FBS status in the Big East.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:56:09 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »
What are the dollar terms of the deal?  IS C7 paying real dollars or are they walking away from fees paid by schools that jumped ship?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »

I haven't watched any this year.

BUT......they do have Gus Johnson under contract.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
I hope they bring back the Foxtrax they had for hockey which put a trail behind the puck. 

What are the dollar terms of the deal?  IS C7 paying real dollars or are they walking away from fees paid by schools that jumped ship?

That's a good point.  I guess we are essentially giving up our exit fee money to kick schools we don't want out. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
I hope they bring back the Foxtrax they had for hockey which put a trail behind the puck. 

That's a good point.  I guess we are essentially giving up our exit fee money to kick schools we don't want out. 

Correct. Most of the money going to the schools being left behind are the exit fees paid by schools like Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, etc..

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
Any timeframe for the statement?

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
I haven't watched any this year.

BUT......they do have Gus Johnson under contract.

Has anyone else heard Gus Johnson doing the Barclay's League games on Fox Soccer?  I def did a double-take.  Hate when they've got the US guys announcing.  At least he's been at the games tho.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
I'm curious, what kind of broadcasters does Fox Sports have? Any good 1's compared to ESPN's?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
I'm curious, what kind of broadcasters does Fox Sports have? Any good 1's compared to ESPN's?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
Agreed--while a consideration, I think the FOIA thing, in and of itself, has been blown out of proportion with VCU.  IMO, the bigger issue (of which the FOIA implications may be a smaller part), with VCU is a cultural/branding thing.  As the only large, public institution, they'd be a significant outlier.  I think the conference is making an intentional effort to gather schools with similar profiles to help the branding of the conference overall--not just in basketball.  

They would be bizzaro Northwestern.