'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Old" BE to play tourney in Hartford  (Read 4214 times)

Eldon

• All American
"Old" BE to play tourney in Hartford
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5452

*Old BE possibly looking at Hartford, CT for their tourney.  This gives them a sure sellout with UCONN headlining the conference
*Hartford was the site of the tourney before the move to MSG
*Putting the new tourney for "old" BE is meant to appease UCONN (in hopes that they reconsider leaving the conference)

*MSG expected to work a deal with the C7 with respect to the tourney

GGGG

• All American
Re: "Old" BE to play tourney in Hartford
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
I don't know what's more pathetic...

Having your conference tournament in Hartford...or thinking that by doing so UConn would reconsider leaving the conference.  (Assuming they have been invited elsewhere.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:57 AM »

Having your conference tournament in Hartford...or thinking that by doing so UConn would reconsider leaving the conference.  (Assuming they have been invited elsewhere.)

Hartford is an awesome town to hold the tourney.  I hear those insurance guys really know how to party!
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:21 AM »

That is awesome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
Bring back the Whale

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
They will have to negotiate with the New Big East/C7 for Hartford.  That's the home of the women's New Big East/C7 tourney.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
Bring back the Whale

You're speaking my language Chico!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »
Perhaps they will call it the Husky Conference as well.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
Cool.  Confirmation that we get MSG, or at least we're the one's (between us and UConn, Cincy, et. al.) who get a shot at it.

BTW, isn't it time to stop calling us the C7, start calling us the Big East, and finding an interim name for UConn, Cincy, et.al.?  I'd like to suggest the Big Leftovers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
Cool.  Confirmation that we get MSG, or at least we're the one's (between us and UConn, Cincy, et. al.) who get a shot at it.

BTW, isn't it time to stop calling us the C7, start calling us the Big East, and finding an interim name for UConn, Cincy, et.al.?  I'd like to suggest the Big Leftovers.
Like your thinking.  How about the sloppy seconds?  Too much?

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Bring back the Whale

Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford..."the Whale"? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford..."the Whale"? They only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

Fantastic.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »
So we get the Big East name and MSG/New York and they get Hartford? Sweet.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »

Or, as I have started calling them, the Leftover East (LEAST).
Relax. Respect the Process.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
Or, as I have started calling them, the Leftover East (LEAST).

This. This I love.

Let's make this happen, people.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:47 AM »

Obviously no one asked us because we would have extolled the virtues of Indianapolis!

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
I thought it would be in Memphis.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »

Yup, I can see UConn now...Gee, we finally got an invite to the ACC, but gosh, we get to hold a hoops tournament in Hartford. We better stay! ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
I know folks are giving UCONN a hard time, but I can see a scenario where UCONN and UC end up with a PILE of cash in this AND land in a decent conference.  It might work out pretty well for them in the next few years.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
I know folks are giving UCONN a hard time, but I can see a scenario where UCONN and UC end up with a PILE of cash in this AND land in a decent conference.  It might work out pretty well for them in the next few years.

Yes the ACC after Maryland wins its lawsuit and has the exit fee reduced and UNC starts a mass exodus.  But will the ACC be a "decent conference" when it is Duke/Wake/BC/NC State and bunch of BE/CUSA football schools?  (and then ND stays with the C7/NEAST as explained countless times in this board).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
Yes the ACC after Maryland wins its lawsuit and has the exit fee reduced and UNC starts a mass exodus. 

1. The court proceedings to date have gone against Maryland, so it's a massive leap of faith to suggest they're going to win ... especially when their primary defense so far has been the already rejected claim of sovereign immunity.

2. The only path to a clear victory for Maryland (that I can see) is if it drags on through months and months of discovery, pre-trial hearings and trial - which may or may not go their way - followed by post-trial motions and appeals. In other words, even if this leads to a mass ACC exodus - which is not a foregone conclusion - it may take some time.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
Hartford is an awesome town to hold the tourney.  I hear those insurance guys really know how to party!
I actually really enjoyed my time in Hartford. It's a decent sized city that still retains some of that New England charm. Obviously, in the context of a big-time conference basketball tournament, I would not be thrilled with an off-the-radar location like Hartford.

Nothing beats the Garden in mid-March. Nothing.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
1. The court proceedings to date have gone against Maryland, so it's a massive leap of faith to suggest they're going to win ... especially when their primary defense so far has been the already rejected claim of sovereign immunity.

2. The only path to a clear victory for Maryland (that I can see) is if it drags on through months and months of discovery, pre-trial hearings and trial - which may or may not go their way - followed by post-trial motions and appeals. In other words, even if this leads to a mass ACC exodus - which is not a foregone conclusion - it may take some time.

Yes it is not a foregone conclusion that a mass exodus from the ACC occurs.  But remember, now that the BE has effectively "blown up" of the remaining the top 5 FB conferences (SEC, B1G, Pac12, B12, ACC), the ACC FB members make the least amount of money.  So, they will forever be looked at as fertile ground for the other conferences to pick off decent schools to bolster their conference.

The only way the ACC stops this talk is to either put up a barrier of exit, like the $50 million exit fee, or sign a new TV contract on par with the other 5 conferences.  The latter (new TV deal) is not going to happen.  The former (exit fee) is in court.  So, we wait.