Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Jump Around" Guy  (Read 15499 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: "Jump Around" Guy
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
We have come a long way since 1995. Not sure I think our biggest concern is being pro or con Jumping Man just yet.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
You are always entertaining I will give you that. Sorry about your wife.
Indeed. I like your stories and insights.

Very sorry about your wife.
We Are Marquette

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
I feel a board group hug coming on here.... sigh

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
I wonder if next season the two middle-aged gents shakin' it on the Jumbotron will become a thing.  Crowd loved it.

This guy..

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »
I remember back in the early days of the internet, the old geocities Board in 1995, then Mike Juno. I remember reading Mike Deane's comments about making the Dance once every 5 years and being happy with the NIT. I remember third rate recruits like LeDaryl Billingsley jilting us for the likes of Tulane! We played in something called the Great Midwest. Man, I was living in Hong Kong and thrilled just to have connectivity with Marquette hoops.

Scroll forward 18 years. We have the second longest winning streak in the nation, our larder is full with more on the way, we no longer wonder if we'll make the Dance but argue whether we will be a 3  or 4 seed. Our recruits are nationally ranked; I have read here dismissive comments about someone being only  ranked in the 90's!

So we manufacture crises in order to keep the adrenaline pumping for that is part of the human condition, given a heritage of famine, disease, war, pestilence, climatic change.

If our biggest challenge is dealing with "The Jumper" then we truly stand in tall cotton. Our stomachs are full and free of disease. Our wine is sweet and plentiful and beautiful women stand ready to cater to our every wish, no matter how unusual. Every man has gold in his pocket, music in his soul, and a song on his lips. And twice a week our Warriors, tall, proud, brave, march out the gates, beyond the ramparts to do battle and make us proud. For a man's destiny is to fight, conquer, and breed.

Gentleman, I say to you that we live in Golden Times. Enjoy the moment for the angels are whispering that all glory is fleeting.  

Very wise, Warrior Shaman.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:34:14 PM by Stone Cold »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
MU needs more people like him, not people saying they are tiring of him.

As far as Alumni fans go, he is the real deal.

---------------------

From the latest MU magazine ....

http://www.marquette.edu/magazine/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1365178285&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&

The jump-around guy
Rick Smith, Eng ’73, Grad ’82, has a hip-hop act that fires up Marquette fans

Smith is president and owner of R.A. Smith National, a multidiscipline engineering consulting company with 160 employees and $17 million in sales last year. But Golden Eagles fans know him better by his alter ego personality: the “jump-around guy.”

The fellow in the suit and tie who bounces along with the student section has become something of a celebrity.

Smith and his wife, Joan, Arts ’71, Grad ’77, have been going to Marquette games since they were students, when they sometimes camped out to get good seats. Smith flies a Marquette flag outside his company’s headquarters in Brookfield, Wis., lowering it to half-staff after a loss.

A few years back, Smith was at a game when the public address system played House of Pain’s Jump Around, a ’90s party anthem. Smith saw the student section jumping so he started jumping — unaware that he was live on ESPN. Right away, his wife got a frantic call from their son in Washington, D.C., wondering if that was his father jumping on national television.

The students goaded Smith to jump around at the next game and he hasn’t stopped since. At a recent game, Smith says, the men sitting in front of him turned around and said: “We paid good money to be in these seats. Why aren’t you jumping?” The payoff came when the song played in the second half. — Chris Jenkins

Watch this hip-hop act on Marquette’s YouTube lineup at marquette.edu/jump-around-guy.

MU72491

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »
Honestly, who gives a crap.  If he wants to jump let him jump, Im  surprised anyone cares its like a minute of the game.  We should all just feel lucky we can attend a great MU game in a great environment

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
Keefe-

Military?  Haikus?

Warthog??

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Rick Smith is my guy.  Would love to have a beer and bratwurst with him.

leever

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
I thought Rick Smits was taller than that.

What?

Nevermind then!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
Anyone do any walleye or muskie fishing lately?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2013, 02:16:54 PM »
Rick Smith is my guy.  Would love to have a beer and bratwurst with him.

At Jim's Timeout

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
Anyone do any walleye or muskie fishing lately?

Wisconsin season doesn't open for a couple more weeks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Wisconsin season doesn't open for a couple more weeks.

Not sure the ice will be out by then.   :P
Have some patience, FFS.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Love the jump around guy.

Love having a gif of him now.

With that much energy, wonder how he'll do in Buzz's bootcamp.

golden_eagle23

• Walk-On
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »
Im always wondering? Is "jump around guy" smiling or not?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
He's a celebrity among the students for sure.  There's nothing wrong with having a number one fan that everyone knows.

Then again, maybe they dont know him...

When I was a freshman in 07-08, I was with the band in NYC for the Big East Tournament.  Several us headed down to the Hello Deli (the one with the guy Letterman always used to talk to) and were eating when two adult MU fans walked in.  We had a really great conversation with them in the crowded deli and we thought they were really nice people.  When they left, I turned to my friends and said "was that the jump-around guy?"  Nobody else believed me, but when I saw him on TV again with his wife, I KNEW they were the ones we met at the deli.  I just wish we could have gotten a picture.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
For those who have met and talked to this guy, does he realize how much of a dork he looks like jumping around? He seems to have no rhythm whatsoever. But maybe that is part of the schtick?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »
Get him together with Freeway.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
For those who have met and talked to this guy, does he realize how much of a dork he looks like jumping around? He seems to have no rhythm whatsoever. But maybe that is part of the schtick?

He does not look like a dork.  He looks like an enthusiastic fan.  I wish we had a thousand of him in the lower bowl.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
I appreciate alumni that are deemed 'cool' by the current student body and I'm hopeful that the two guys who were doing the crazy dance at the ND game become 'regulars'.  They were awesome.

I'm also pleased that warriorchick jr. was absolutely mortified when the Superfan guys (Spencer, Mike, Kyle, etc.) told her that they had hung with warriorchick and me down in Lexington and later described her parents as 'The Sh*ts.'  (I'm told this is positive 2013 slang for 'cool'.)

Let me assure warriorchick jr. that her mother and I ARE cool.   8-) 8-)

Norm

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
He does not look like a dork.  He looks like an enthusiastic fan.  I wish we had a thousand of him in the lower bowl.
Enthusiastic, yes. Dork looking, yes. The guy doesn't even bounce in rhythm to the music.

I'd take Freeway over the Jump Around Guy, but I don't think Freeway goes to the games anymore.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
Norm is right. Looks like an obvious attempt to gain attention and be noticed. If that's the case, mission accomplished and time for a different form of fan support.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"