'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 11:22:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Jump Around" Guy  (Read 15525 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: "Jump Around" Guy
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »
I promise you that the students absolutely love him.  How many of you can say that?

/finished

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »
SO both Jump Around Man and Rick Smith annoy you. Have you considered getting help to deal with life's many, many annoyances? Then your "good life" can be even more good!

As Zen teaches us, compassion takes courage. Be brave, my friend.

It's the same guy. Finkel is Einhorn. Try to keep up.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
I promise you that the students absolutely love him.  How many of you can say that?

/finished

This is a few years ago but I bought 6 pitchers for a group of students after a game. I'm not sure they loved me but they did like me.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »
It's the same guy. Finkel is Einhorn. Try to keep up.

Please. Don't patronize. I followed your obtuse logic. Don't even begin to think you can match wits.

Death on call

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
Who is Rick Smith? I take he he's an alum who has made some coin and given some to MU.

How did he make his dough?

I put myself through school working for Rick Smith 20-some years ago.  He has two Masters degrees from MU, in BuAd and Engineering IIRC. Was still a kid, relatively speaking, when he cobbled together enough cash to buy Robinson and Associates in Brookfield WI.  Company is now RA Smith National (civil engineering, surveying, etc).

One of the hardest working guys I've met, and I never knew him to put dollars ahead of professional integrity.  One of the good guys.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
His company name is on the pocket Marquette schedule.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Please. Don't patronize. I followed your obtuse logic. Don't even begin to think you can match wits.

Wouldn't think of it. We all know you are smarter, stronger, and generally more awesome than most. Besides, if any of us forget these facts you are right there to remind us.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2013, 02:15:19 PM »
I put myself through school working for Rick Smith 20-some years ago.  He has two Masters degrees from MU, in BuAd and Engineering IIRC. Was still a kid, relatively speaking, when he cobbled together enough cash to buy Robinson and Associates in Brookfield WI.  Company is now RA Smith National (civil engineering, surveying, etc).

One of the hardest working guys I've met, and I never knew him to put dollars ahead of professional integrity.  One of the good guys.

Glad to hear that. Too many see the dollars as the end. And that end never justifies the means.

I worked overseas for many years and foreigners laughed that we Americans were constrained by the FCPA. I told a Brit colleague that if everyone adhered to those same ethical standards then business would be based on efficiency and not who could hand over the largest suitcase.

Glad to hear a Marquette guy has done well and did it the right way.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
I don't think people have their 'panties in a bunch."

Didn't your mother teach you if you don't have anything nice to say , don't say it at all.  ;)
Let see, so far in this thread i have been accused of complaining about r smith, been called a dick and a tool, accused of crapping on r smith,been told to look in the mirror, been told I made the dumbest post of all time, all because I said I am sick of the jump guy. And you are telling me to say something nice? I shouldn't have gone to the high horse post, but come on the self righteousness gets tiring after a while.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:52:39 PM by hairyworthen »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
Let see, so far in this thread i have been accused of complaining about r smith, been called a dick and a tool, accused of crapping on r smith,been told to look in the mirror, been told I made the dumbest post of all time, all because I said I am sick of the jump guy. And you are telling me to say something nice? I shouldn't have gone to the high horse post, but come on the self rightgesness gets tiring after a while.

Look to Zen for the answer:

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It is not any more complicated that that.

Mindfulness is opening to and receiving the present moment.
Pleasant or unpleasant, receive it as it while neither clinging to it nor rejecting it.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »
Look to Zen for the answer:

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It is not any more complicated that that.

Mindfulness is opening to and receiving the present moment.
Pleasant or unpleasant, receive it as it while neither clinging to it nor rejecting it.

Made me laugh but would have been better in haiku form

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
Made me laugh but would have been better in haiku form

Haiku was an inside thing with my wife and I. I stopped doing it when she passed away.

But the Buddhist teaching is for real. Embrace it.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Haiku was an inside thing with my wife and I. I stopped doing it when she passed away.

But the Buddhist teaching is for real. Embrace it.
You are always entertaining I will give you that. Sorry about your wife.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
Let see, so far in this thread i have been accused of complaining about r smith, been called a dick and a tool, accused of crapping on r smith,been told to look in the mirror, been told I made the dumbest post of all time, all because I said I am sick of the jump guy. And you are telling me to say something nice? I shouldn't have gone to the high horse post, but come on the self rightgesness gets tiring after a while.

It's been said that if you can't say something good about an MU alum, not to say anything at all.    I think Jump Around Guy falls into this category.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 03:19:41 PM »
You are always entertaining I will give you that. Sorry about your wife.

Thanks. My haikus were usually for humor while hers were for sentiment. She was a part of Marquette basketball for two years and loved it but never understood anyone spending time on a board like this. There is an irony in that.  

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »
Keefe

Sorry about your wife. My wife thinks posting on here everyday is crazy...not all the ladies get it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
It's been said that if you can't say something good about an MU alum, not to say anything at all.    I think Jump Around Guy falls into this category.
I get that, but I guess that is what irked me. I never said or intended to say anything negative about the guy just his jumping.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »

I've always heard positive things about Rick Smith being an all-around good guy.  I remember hearing that when all the engineering firms were laying off people during the downturn, Rick was the last to follow-suit (if at all).

Also, his "schtick" may seem old to some, but he's entertaining for any casual fan going to their first MU game.  They always get a kick out of it.

The Jumper occasionally gives Sportcenter a Marquette-coming-up teaser before commerical break.  All good press for MU.

I'm all for the guy and hope he keeps jumping for years.  Much rather have him that than the others who don't.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
have to smirk every game when I see him park illegally/on the sly at MATC TBldg parking lot to save $ at the BC parking structure.
 :-X
makes me think much more of the man.  i, for one, have always been willing to waste $5 in gas, and much more in time, to save $3 in parking.  speaking for all of us who find the hunt of a free parking in large cities extremely rewarding, i would ask that you not give out this information online...it's poor form.

the jump around thing is totally not my style (and feels a little too much like a UW thing to me), but i hope he's jumping around late into his life...it'll only get better with age.  heck, i know i bother those around me with my constant yelling at the refs and inability to sit in my seat. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 03:52:52 PM by avid1010 »

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
Wardle2 - yes.  I didn't mention that, but he went above-and-beyond for his employees when I was at RA in the late 80s.  Probably still does.  He represents our school well.

I wonder if next season the two middle-aged gents shakin' it on the Jumbotron will become a thing.  Crowd loved it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
If he wasn't wearing gold I'd swear he was a Duke or Pitt graduate; they jump all the time at their games?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »
That's Jim Naz's wife right behind him.  Great lady!
[Sigh]

Ynaught

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
Love this guy....even made the CBS Sports article...albeit a blurry picture!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21800283/night-court-gonzaga-and-duke-to-duke-out-no-1-spot

If there is one thing to know about jump around, it is a UW tradition, and nobody does it like UW.  There are some traditions that cannot be topped, and when you don't (and the best is an older fella doing his best) top it, don't try it.

Isn't it time for MU to start their own tradition?   Just sayin, the MU student section now has the UW student section bested (hands down).  The UW students cant even seem to cheer in rhythm or together (what a come down from years ago).  But Jump Around ... that is the one place where UW is head and shoulders above the rest.

We have the better coach, the better talent, the better system, the better uniforms, the better cheer leaders ... let them have Jump Around.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
You guys are pathetic for not liking him. We as students love him. Probably because he's an energetic man who is much older than us, yet still acts like a fool and enjoys the game. If you don't like him, then just don't pay attention, or just leave the court when jump around plays.

But I think you guys have beef with him simply because he gets on the jumbo tron and you guys don't. (;

I love the man. Brings good vibes

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
I remember back in the early days of the internet, the old geocities Board in 1995, then Mike Juno. I remember reading Mike Deane's comments about making the Dance once every 5 years and being happy with the NIT. I remember third rate recruits like LeDaryl Billingsley jilting us for the likes of Tulane! We played in something called the Great Midwest. Man, I was living in Hong Kong and thrilled just to have connectivity with Marquette hoops.

Scroll forward 18 years. We have the second longest winning streak in the nation, our larder is full with more on the way, we no longer wonder if we'll make the Dance but argue whether we will be a 3  or 4 seed. Our recruits are nationally ranked; I have read here dismissive comments about someone being only  ranked in the 90's!

So we manufacture crises in order to keep the adrenaline pumping for that is part of the human condition, given a heritage of famine, disease, war, pestilence, climatic change.

If our biggest challenge is dealing with "The Jumper" then we truly stand in tall cotton. Our stomachs are full and free of disease. Our wine is sweet and plentiful and beautiful women stand ready to cater to our every wish, no matter how unusual. Every man has gold in his pocket, music in his soul, and a song on his lips. And twice a week our Warriors, tall, proud, brave, march out the gates, beyond the ramparts to do battle and make us proud. For a man's destiny is to fight, conquer, and breed.

Gentleman, I say to you that we live in Golden Times. Enjoy the moment for the angels are whispering that all glory is fleeting. 

Death on call