'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hello Marquette fans!  (Read 10808 times)

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
Hello Marquette fans!
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
I'm a SLU fan, and wondering what you guys think of SLU's chances to be added to the Big East. We are indebted to you for one Rick Majerus.

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
Re: Hello Marquette fans!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
For very selfish reasons I hope SLU gets in. Moved down to St Louis a year and a half ago and am currently working on an MBA there.

SLU has really invested in basketball and the Chaif is a great place to catch a game. I really like how all the athletics are in a common area on the east side of campus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
I'll take SLU over Dayton, if that helps.

SLU is attractive as I would do a weekend roader to St. Louis.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Welcome busted.  I'd think your chances are pretty good to be #11 or #12 starting in 2014.  Great game last weekend against Butler.  Be great to renew acquaintances as we Warriors remember you guys well from the Spoon days.

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
I did a couple roadies to Milwaukee for Cards/Brewers games, but haven't seen you guys in person up there. Would be a fun trip that isn't too hard on the Frequent Flier Miles.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
From the easy to go to/attractive place to visit an away game in STL sounds good to me.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
If we go to 12 teams for 2014, as it appears will happen, SLU is in.  Hopefully Crews keeps them on the current trajectory, as they'll be an asset to the conference in that case.  Congrats on the soon-to-be A-10 regular season title.

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »
If we go to 12 teams for 2014, as it appears will happen, SLU is in.  Hopefully Crews keeps them on the current trajectory, as they'll be an asset to the conference in that case.  Congrats on the soon-to-be A-10 regular season title.

The cool thing is that if SLU holds on, it will be the most difficult A-10 title anyone has won. I'd love to see Big East games at the 'Fetz, as well as a return to St. Louis from your Golden Eagles/Warriors.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »
From the nostalgia files:

Back in CUSA days, when I was a wee little Warrior. I got to be a ball boy/sweat mop guy for a game. It was against SLU. It was the year you guys had Larry Hughes. He massacred us. Then good for us (not you), he went pro.

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »

Back in CUSA days, when I was a wee little Warrior. I got to be a ball boy/sweat mop guy for a game. It was against SLU. It was the year you guys had Larry Hughes. He massacred us. Then good for us (not you), he went pro.

It only took us 12 years to get back to the tournament after 2000. Wow, that sounds bad, doesn't it?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
You know what, thinking about Larry Hughes slaughtering us, I say:

I don't care about whether SLU is the "best" team to add (however you want to measure that), though I do think there objectively a + rather than a - to the league... but I want another shot at 'em.

Bring on the Billikens.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »
I'd rank SLU at the top of who I'd want as the 10th team.

I'd rank the additions as follows:
-8- Butler- no brainer
-9- Xavier- no brainer
-10- SLU- great program in a nice market.  Makes geographic sense as there would then be 5 midwestern teams and 5 east coast teams.  They look like they have the skill and athletes to play in the Big East.  Only question mark is recruiting without Majerus.
-11- VCU- Virginia is a growing market.  Need east coast.  I hate to admit it as a Midwesterner, but east coast teams on average get more coverage.  It'd be good for the league to have a presence there.  
-12- Creighton- A little far geographically.  How good will they be when they don't have their coach's son?  They will have to start recruiting athletes.  MVC to the Big East is a lot bigger than CUSA to Big East was for us.  I'm really not as high on them as others are on this board.
-13- Richmond- Would duplicate VCU.  But if VCU doesn't work out, I'd add them.  
-14- Dayton- they don't add much from a TV market perspective when we already have Butler and Xavier.  

I really don't see the Big East as 7 midwestern schools and 5 east coast schools with all the reports of the BE only adding midwestern schools to get to 12.

I'd most want to add Xavier, Butler, and SLU and stop.  See how everything else shakes out with conference realignments.  Those other schools will still be there.  Creighton, VCU, Dayton, and Richmond are not going to form a conference with schools left behind later due to football.  

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »
What you guys think of SLU's chances to be added to the Big East.

99%

We are indebted to you for one Rick Majerus.

Just win the A-10 this year or get to the Sweet 16, and we'll call it even.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »

This is one reason I like adding SLU, no the massacre part, but the history between the schools. We are already losing two rivals of close to 20 years, Cincy and Louisville, its nice to get one back and to continue building what we have with Georgetown and Nova from the last 8 years of play.

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
99%

Just win the A-10 this year or get to the Sweet 16, and we'll call it even.

We're getting right on that. :)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
From the easy to go to/attractive place to visit an away game in STL sounds good to me.

Absolutely.  Love the new on campus arena.  An 'all good' roadtrip.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
I'd rank SLU at the top of who I'd want as the 10th team.

I'd rank the additions as follows:
-8- Butler- no brainer
-9- Xavier- no brainer
-10- SLU- great program in a nice market.  Makes geographic sense as there would then be 5 midwestern teams and 5 east coast teams.  They look like they have the skill and athletes to play in the Big East.  Only question mark is recruiting without Majerus.
-11- VCU- Virginia is a growing market.  Need east coast.  I hate to admit it as a Midwesterner, but east coast teams on average get more coverage.  It'd be good for the league to have a presence there.  
-12- Creighton- A little far geographically.  How good will they be when they don't have their coach's son?  They will have to start recruiting athletes.  MVC to the Big East is a lot bigger than CUSA to Big East was for us.  I'm really not as high on them as others are on this board.
-13- Richmond- Would duplicate VCU.  But if VCU doesn't work out, I'd add them.  
-14- Dayton- they don't add much from a TV market perspective when we already have Butler and Xavier.  

I really don't see the Big East as 7 midwestern schools and 5 east coast schools with all the reports of the BE only adding midwestern schools to get to 12.

I'd most want to add Xavier, Butler, and SLU and stop.  See how everything else shakes out with conference realignments.  Those other schools will still be there.  Creighton, VCU, Dayton, and Richmond are not going to form a conference with schools left behind later due to football.  

VCU is public and people will be able to get financial data on the conference, no thanks.

Busted, check out this thread

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=35412.0

for some interesting takes and gauge MU enthusiasm for SLU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »
We're getting right on that. :)

Will Crews stick around after this year?  Is he still an interim Head Coach?  If he doesn't stick, will Biondi screw up the next hire?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:56:12 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
VCU is public and people will be able to get financial data on the conference, no thanks.

Busted, check out this thread

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=35412.0

for some interesting takes and gauge MU enthusiasm for SLU

OK, well the point is I'd rather stay at 10 schools.  If the BE went beyond that, I think it's better to have an east coast school.  Just substitute Richmond for VCU then as a team that I think would be better than Creighton or Dayton.

I'm not sure how growing the pie to 12 teams, one of which is in Omaha and the other in Ohio where we already have Xavier, will help the overall take or improve the BE's per team cut of a TV deal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
SLU is probably on the outside looking in if we stay at 10 (unlikely)

SLU is a no brainer if we go to 12 (very likely)

My individual opinion....

I think you guys would be a pretty good choice for our 11th or 12th member. I am a little worried about what happens after Majerus' players are gone. Its a big question mark. If he was still around it'd be a much easier choice. But I think even now you fit the profile.

A question for you...

What's the vibe of St. Louis right now? Are people jumping on the SLU bandwagon? Have they become a bigger story than Mizzou? Has Majerus acquired legendary status from the grave? I could see this being one of those very unique circumstances where Rick becomes a larger than life figure after death due to this year's team's success. Just wondering what the feeling is from the people there.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:57:57 PM by Victor McCormick »

BustedDreams49

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
SLU is probably on the outside looking in if we stay at 10 (unlikely)

SLU is a no brainer if we go to 12 (very likely)

My individual opinion....

I think you guys would be a pretty good choice for our 11th or 12th member. I am a little worried about what happens after Majerus' players are gone. Its a big question mark. If he was still around it'd be a much easier choice. But I think even now you fit the profile.

A question for you...

What's the vibe of St. Louis right now? Are people jumping on the SLU bandwagon? Have they become a bigger story than Mizzou? Has Majerus acquired legendary status from the grave? I could see this being one of those very unique circumstances where Rick becomes a larger than life figure after death due to this year's team's success. Just wondering what the feeling is from the people there.

The city is getting behind the team like the Spoonball years. Rick Majerus has become the face of the school even with his death. SLU fans really are excited about what's in front of us. With regards to Mizzou, they are still riding the SEC bandwagon, but the gap is narrowing.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
Really pulling for SLU.  Saw a game last year at the Chaif, and it is a fantastic place for high-end college ball.  Spent my high school days as a Junior Billiken and have lots of MU friends in town-- would love to have one more excuse to visit. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
The city is getting behind the team like the Spoonball years. Rick Majerus has become the face of the school even with his death. SLU fans really are excited about what's in front of us. With regards to Mizzou, they are still riding the SEC bandwagon, but the gap is narrowing.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »

I like SLU, I really do.  I had season tickets when I lived in St. Louis during the Rich Grawer era in the late eighties.  I saw Bonner play at the Kiel.  I saw Larry Hughes play at the Kiel.  My daughter is a grad.  But here are the questions.

Does SLU have a coach for next year?

Does the team have any players for the fall of 2015 other than a mediocre guard from Indiana coming next fall?

Is Biondi dumb enough or distracted enough by trying to save his own arse, to let your program drop below DePaul levels?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:08:11 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
Is Biondi dumb enough or distracted enough by trying to save his own arse, to let your program drop below DePaul levels?

Thank you. This is why SLU is not a good fit as a partner for schools with an iron clad commitment to basketball.

Death on call

feedback