Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 33072 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
UCLA almost screwed the pooch today.  UCLA alums around here were going nuts.  Down by 1 with about a minute to go, but they pulled it out against Arizona State.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »
I live in LA. Nobody will give a hoot if he wins.

Ben is winning, some people are giving a hoot.  It's all in how you define winning.  Lane Kiffin is winning, but not enough...and every little thing he does is scrutinized to the nth degree.  Mike Scioscia won last year, had a better record than the Detroit Tigers, yet some in the press calling for his head.

It's all about how much winning and if you don't, this kind of stuff just gives certain people ammunition to call for a head.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »
I live in LA. /quote]

You poor bastard.

Well, this poor bastard gets to see the ocean every day so I guess I will just have to suffer through it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
Well, this poor bastard gets to see the ocean every day so I guess I will just have to suffer through it.

So does this poor bastard. Plus mountains.

Death on call

The Process

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »
So does this poor bastard. Plus mountains.

... shouldn't you be busy implementing that fix for the Dreamliner?

And can't we just get this topic back on track?  Buzz isn't going anywhere.  Lock this thread.
Relax. Respect the Process.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

And can't we just get this topic back on track?  Buzz isn't going anywhere.  Lock this thread.

Not a Boeing guy.

Shouldn't you be busy getting that tire down off the rack?

Death on call

The Process

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Not a Boeing guy.

Right after you start getting back to your haikus.

Oh, I miss your once-eloquent and biting bits of passion.  Someday you will stop walking into parties like you were walking onto yachts and realize that endless soliloquies are not the way to go.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

Not a Boeing guy.

I'll save you both the suspense... You're both on a message board online. Literally everything in the world is more impressive than what you are doing now.

You are both losers. Steer this convo back to mubb
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

The Process

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
I'll save you both the suspense... You're both on a message board online. Literally everything in the world is more impressive than what you are doing now.

You are both losers. Steer this convo back to mubb

In a bit of irony, I tried that in the reply you quoted.

Anyways, Buzz isn't going anywhere.  Lock the thread.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
Cheers - Beat the Irish
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

The Process

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:41 PM »
Cheers - Beat the Irish

Seconded - let's go MU!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
Not a Boeing guy.

keefe has a Midas Touch and his jizz is the secret ingredient to marshmellow Peeps.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
Howland took a big blow last night that might help him. Adams broke his foot on the final play of the game after scoring 24 points in their victory over Arizona.  He's obviously out for the year, but that is really going to hurt UCLA moving forward.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:08:43 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
F*ckin took a big blow last night too. Unfortunately, his dog had the Cooley's and blew him a kiss while pissin' on their walk.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
Barnes is #1 in this list!  :D (Lot of other familiar names, and yes I realize it is bleacher report.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1532508-ranking-the-10-most-overrated-coaches-in-college-basketball/page/12

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
F*ckin took a big blow last night too. Unfortunately, his dog had the Cooley's and blew him a kiss while pissin' on their walk.

Randy: Can I get you something?
Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.
First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!
Mrs Cleaver: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.
Randy: Oh, good.
Mrs Cleaver: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Mrs Cleaver: [to the Second Jive Dude] Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Mrs Cleaver: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Mrs Cleaver: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Shiiiiit.

Does this board have any Mrs Cleavers to translate what this fool is sayin?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Los Angeles Times: Ben Howland on thin ice
« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Could be a major domino...many folks out here think he is gone.  Article today. 

http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-plaschke-ucla-20130317,0,1232265.column

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Los Angeles Times: Ben Howland on thin ice
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »
Could be a major domino...many folks out here think he is gone.  Article today. 

http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-plaschke-ucla-20130317,0,1232265.column

Just can't help but stir the pot, huh?
It's only a domino relevant to us in the unlikely event Buzz lands at UCLA. If UCLA lands another option - Stevens, Smart, Few, Dixon - Buzz won't be heading to any of their former jobs.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
Buzz Williams will not be going to UCLA. Let it go.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
Randy: Can I get you something?
Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me!
Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand.
First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG!
Mrs Cleaver: Oh stewardess! I speak jive.
Randy: Oh, good.
Mrs Cleaver: He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine?
Mrs Cleaver: [to the Second Jive Dude] Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.
Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap!
Mrs Cleaver: Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!
First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up!
Mrs Cleaver: Jive ass dude don't got no brains anyhow! Shiiiiit.

Does this board have any Mrs Cleavers to translate what this fool is sayin?

Jive dude ain't got no brain anyhow.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Los Angeles Times: Ben Howland on thin ice
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »
Just can't help but stir the pot, huh?
It's only a domino relevant to us in the unlikely event Buzz lands at UCLA. If UCLA lands another option - Stevens, Smart, Few, Dixon - Buzz won't be heading to any of their former jobs.

Sorry, not stirring the pot.  The discussion has been about UCLA, Texas, etc.  An article appeared in today's paper, I updated folks with it.

Sheesh.

I absolutely agree there is no way Buzz is going to UCLA.  He isn't a big enough name and UCLA will go after a giant name.  That doesn't mean that dominoes can't fall which is what the point of this thread was when it was started.  Whether Buzz goes to another job, I don't know.  Hope not.  It certainly won't be UCLA.  99 out of 100 people out here don't have a clue who Buzz is and it wouldn't be a sexy enough hire for them.

Now, if it means Donovan comes to UCLA and Dixon to USC, well interesting things start to move around.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »
Buzz Williams will not be going to UCLA. Let it go.

Never said he would.  We agree.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
I would doubt that Buzz would end up at UCLA for many reasons. I do not agree that just because Buzz is not known by "99 out of 100" people is the reason. Of MU's last hires (I know MU is not UCLA) 99 out of 100 MU fans had never heard of the guy prior to be hired. UCLA is different gig and I get it, but being know to casual fan really means little. Prior to every hire since Dukiet I had somewhat inside info on hires and all were guys I had not heard about. That said, KO and TC were well known in coaching community but not to casual fans.

One question, I think Smart has done really good job but why all the love for him? He is young and done well over the last few years and that is great. Does he really have vastly more appeal than Buzz? Would have to think that Buzz's body or work is on par with Smart's. Stevens, Few and Dixon are ahead of Buzz on food chain. Maybe I am missing something with Smart.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
I would doubt that Buzz would end up at UCLA for many reasons. I do not agree that just because Buzz is not known by "99 out of 100" people is the reason. Of MU's last hires (I know MU is not UCLA) 99 out of 100 MU fans had never heard of the guy prior to be hired. UCLA is different gig and I get it, but being know to casual fan really means little. Prior to every hire since Dukiet I had somewhat inside info on hires and all were guys I had not heard about. That said, KO and TC were well known in coaching community but not to casual fans.

One question, I think Smart has done really good job but why all the love for him? He is young and done well over the last few years and that is great. Does he really have vastly more appeal than Buzz? Would have to think that Buzz's body or work is on par with Smart's. Stevens, Few and Dixon are ahead of Buzz on food chain. Maybe I am missing something with Smart.

Well, UCLA will go after a huge name which Buzz isn't.  Attendance has suffered, they need to bring in more of those 99 folks and get them excited. 

If Buzz leaves for somewhere, I would love to go after Smart.   He's from Wisconsin...very smart...African American.  I'd go for that hire.   Stevens, of course...though I still think he gets some love that I sometimes laugh at.  Back to back CBI appearances...can you imagine if that happened here, yet he's like the teflon man where that doesn't stick to him.  Those two CBI appearances after back to back national title appearances.  This year, I think they have been very inconsistent.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
Well, UCLA will go after a huge name which Buzz isn't.  Attendance has suffered, they need to bring in more of those 99 folks and get them excited. 

If Buzz leaves for somewhere, I would love to go after Smart.   He's from Wisconsin...very smart...African American.  I'd go for that hire.   Stevens, of course...though I still think he gets some love that I sometimes laugh at.  Back to back CBI appearances...can you imagine if that happened here, yet he's like the teflon man where that doesn't stick to him.  Those two CBI appearances after back to back national title appearances.   This year, I think they have been very inconsistent.

Actually, just one CBI appearance.

As for Smart, beyond what you already mentioned, he's young (only 35), charismatic, coaches an exciting style of ball and has a great pedigree (came up under Oliver Purnell and Billy Donovan).
He'd fit in very well in LA.