[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 33332 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Texas
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Well, Tom Crean was fired after losing to Stanford in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Was a really ballsy move, huh?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »

Worked out well for everyone it seems.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

Actually, not ballsy at all.

When you have a coach that is going to win multiple national titles waiting on the bench, it's easy.

This is why UT is going to fire Barnes and back up the Brinks truck for Buzz.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
I'm still intrigued by the suggestion that Texas is a Top 10 job. Which of these are you taking off the list (in no particular order)

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
Indiana
UCLA
Kansas
Syracuse
Georgetown
Michigan State
Louisville
Arizona
UConn
Ohio State

That's just off the top of my head. Even if you want to increase your number to 15, they are there primarily because of the guy you are suggesting should be fired.

Texas is up there. No reason they aren't equal to Ohio St just because of 1 bad year (I mean, when did OSU because an auto-top basketball job?). Honestly, after the first 5 the next 10-20 are all really close and similar and it just depends on what the coach is looking for.

UT fans have short memories, but their anger and impatience is being directed heavily at Barnes b/c Mack Brown is pissing them all off even more.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks it unlikely the Texas AD who's stood by and watched three subpar seasons out of the football program without firing Mack Brown is going to pull the plug on Rick Barnes  - and eat the final four years on his contract - after one bad season full of mitigating circumstances?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
Texas over Syracuse and UConn in a 2nd.  And maybe several others.  Dallas / Metroplex has become a great recruiting zone.

Still, Barnes is safe.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks it unlikely the Texas AD who's stood by and watched three subpar seasons out of the football program without firing Mack Brown is going to pull the plug on Rick Barnes  - and eat the final four years on his contract - after one bad season full of mitigating circumstances?

No, Jajuannaman is the only one who thinks he will (or should).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
Pakuni

Only way I see them canning Barnes and eating four years is if they that one guy they really want. They have the money to do whatever they want and doubt if they roll dice without having guy in place before dumping Barnes. Would have to think odds are Barnes stays at Texas.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »
Pakuni

Only way I see them canning Barnes and eating four years is if they that one guy they really want. They have the money to do whatever they want and doubt if they roll dice without having guy in place before dumping Barnes. Would have to think odds are Barnes stays at Texas.

Do you think that guy is buzz?  I am not sure the average UT BB fan would even know who buzz is. Knowing how Texans think, they would want someone like Phil Jackson or coach k.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Texas over Syracuse and UConn in a 2nd.  And maybe several others.  Dallas / Metroplex has become a great recruiting zone.

Im sure it has. doesn't make it bettar than, oh I don't know, New York City, and the rest of the east coast.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
I'm still intrigued by the suggestion that Texas is a Top 10 job. Which of these are you taking off the list (in no particular order)

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
Indiana
UCLA
Kansas
Syracuse
Georgetown
Michigan State
Louisville
Arizona
UConn
Ohio State

That's just off the top of my head. Even if you want to increase your number to 15, they are there primarily because of the guy you are suggesting should be fired.

1.) I didn't say he should be flat out fired.  I said if I were Texas and was guaranteed I could make the trade Barnes for Buzz I would fire him in a hearbeat.  I also don't think he will be fired. At all.  

2.) Yes, Barnes has gotten them to a certain level.  But I don't think he'll ever get them to the promised land.  He has a 15 year track record to go on.  They seem to be fine with that, but I think throwing Buzz in there would be fuel to the fire Barnes lit.  

3.) Point #2 "they seem to be fine with that" is why I think to me it's a top 10 job (after the blue bloods of course).  Tons of resources at a massive flagship state school, but no pressure due to football.  Then, there's also no pressure to succeed a legend, like there would be at a place like MSU or Duke, or to win big immediately like UK or UCLA (Tubby, Billy Clyde, Lavin).  You could build the program in your own name at your own pace, like Donovan at UF.  There's no chasing ghosts, and there's no angry alumni or admin breathing down your neck.  If and when a guy like Buzz breaks through at a place like that, he's a legend, worshipped by fans.  Recruiting, especially in-state, becomes even easier.  Virtuous circle yadda yadda.  

This is all my opinion and in no way do I think that scenario would play out.  I just know what I would do if I were AD and that hypothetical situation presented itself.  That's it.  I think Buzz is staying at MU and this is all just a thought experimetn.  I'll let everyone else have the last word and tell me how stupid I am.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
Actually, not ballsy at all.

When you have a coach that is going to win multiple national titles waiting on the bench, it's easy.

This is why UT is going to fire Barnes and back up the Brinks truck for Buzz.

Wow.  Never once did I say UT would do actually do that.  I said it's what I would do, but I'm on this message board, not in an AD's chair.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Hairy

I would have no idea who that one guy would be. Just think to cut Barnes and pay him off only probably gets done if they have one guy in line. The whole landscape of sports is so whacked out it really is tough to figure anything out in advance.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Hairy

I would have no idea who that one guy would be. Just think to cut Barnes and pay him off only probably gets done if they have one guy in line. The whole landscape of sports is so whacked out it really is tough to figure anything out in advance.

Exactly. Who knows what they think. People here like to associate Buzz for the Texas job because of paranoia of losing buzz and the Texas connection. The reality is, we do not know what UT people are thinking in terms of firing Barnes in the first place and then the head coach they have in mind.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »
I just skipped to the last page of the thread.  Have we started talking about fishing yet?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
I just skipped to the last page of the thread.  Have we started talking about fishing yet?

Not yet. Just getting to the part where someone named UT17 is about to tell us Buzz to Texas is already a done deal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
Not yet. Just getting to the part where someone named UT17 is about to tell us Buzz to Texas is already a done deal.

Sounds good.  Just let me know if/when you want me to derail the thread.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »
Buzz will stay as long as we will have him...his words.

He is still not our Savior (get us back to promise land, Champion!!) until his recruiting improves.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »
Worked out well for everyone it seems.

That's why I don't understand all this continuing Crean hate. I would much rather have Buzz...and I'm sure Indiana is happy with their current situation.

We all win. Now move on already.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
Wow.  Never once did I say UT would do actually do that.  I said it's what I would do, but I'm on this message board, not in an AD's chair.

I'm was being sarcastic... and I've made my point, so it's time for me to drop it.

I honestly hope Buzz ends up being as successful as you think he will. That would be incredible.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
I figure I'm one of only a few people on this board that actually had to work for him so I can vouch.  He did a lot of good, but tough guy to work for.  He left MU, but not high and dry.  He left for a better school, better basketball program, more stable conference and one of the bluebloods.  Can't blame him.

No one dislikes him for why he left.  They dislike him for how he left.

Also, while I didn't offically work in the athletic department like you, I was around the AL for both Crean and Buzz.  Seeing how things changed made me dislike Crean even more.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
well, first let me say I am anything but a Crean apologist.  I felt he was milking an exhausted cow when he continued to amp up his contract in '03..., even writing his own and telling the AD to get it done (so it seems).  I was most turned off by the media guide / Tom Crean color advertisement.  Suffice it to say I was happy to see him go, but hated the way he did it.  Mostly, I dislike his smarmy attitude.  BUT, I have learned that there is some sentiment both in the administration and the BOT that Crean had a better understanding of what it meant to be a Marquette student-athelete than Buzz does.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
well, first let me say I am anything but a Crean apologist.  I felt he was milking an exhausted cow when he continued to amp up his contract in '03..., even writing his own and telling the AD to get it done (so it seems).  I was most turned off by the media guide / Tom Crean color advertisement.  Suffice it to say I was happy to see him go, but hated the way he did it.  Mostly, I dislike his smarmy attitude.  BUT, I have learned that there is some sentiment both in the administration and the BOT that Crean had a better understanding of what it meant to be a Marquette student-athelete than Buzz does.

uhhhhhh..... care to explain?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
Sounds good.  Just let me know if/when you want me to derail the thread.

I'll express lane that:

CREAN SUCKS ASS
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
No one dislikes him for why he left.  They dislike him for how he left.

I dislike him because he's a pud whack.

feedback