[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 33342 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Texas
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
Chicaloop knows all of that, but he is about little more than gotchas and being able to say, "I told you so." The DJ Newbill thread he started on the other board presents plenty of evidence of that.

No, it was showing the hypocrisy that is on this board...#4 Michigan craps the bed to a winless conference team vs IU losing to a team that has many good wins already this season.  I'm sorry you don't see the difference, then again you think ripping on a coach's wife is ok and not classless or calling someone a poster that they aren't.  I can't help you.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »
If Buzz goes there and stays long enough he will bring them multiple national championships. 

C'mon. Really?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
I don't think that will happen in real life, but Barnes has underachieved that program's potential... 

How exactly has he done that? Its only a slight exaggeration to say that he has had as much success in 14 years, as the program has had in the previous 80 years combined.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
C'mon. Really?

Yeah, go figure.  Glad you said it.  If that is the case, and it's obvious to him (JaJa), it should be obvious also to Deloss Dodds and they should hire him today.  Considering the current guy hasn't won any and Buzz will win multiples apparently just by showing up.   ::)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
How exactly has he done that? Its only a slight exaggeration to say that he has had as much success in 14 years, as the program has had in the previous 80 years combined.

Their massive atheltics budget & fertile recruiting grounds.  To me that's about as appealing a job as there is.  It's kind of like Florida, which was basically nothing basketball-wise before Donovan.  Hoops was an afterthought and is still 2nd priority.  So if you don't win no one is breathing down your throat but the potential under the right coach is through the roof.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
Their massive atheltics budget & fertile recruiting grounds.  To me that's about as appealing a job as there is.  It's kind of like Florida, which was basically nothing basketball-wise before Donovan.  Hoops was an afterthought and is still 2nd priority.  So if you don't win no one is breathing down your throat but the potential under the right coach is through the roof.

MU has the 2nd highest basketball budget in the country...Chicago right down the road...so should we be winning more than we are?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:55 AM »
C'mon. Really?

I said if he stays long enough.  I'm talking program lifer, like K or Izzo.  For the record, I think he'll do the same here if he stays long enough, as I expounded upon.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
I said if he stays long enough.  I'm talking program lifer, like K or Izzo.  For the record, I think he'll do the same here if he stays long enough, as I expounded upon.

Just to be clear, what you are saying/predicting, is that Buzz Williams is a top 15 coach all time. 

Here is the list of multiple winners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Final_Four_appearances_by_coach#NCAA_Division_I_Championships_by_coach

A lot of GREAT coaches are NOT on this list.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
If I were Texas I'd fire Barnes if I knew I could get Buzz in a heartbeat.  I don't think that will happen in real life, but Barnes has underachieved that program's potential and he has been given more than enough time to succeed.  If Buzz goes there and stays long enough he will bring them multiple national championships.  Of course, if he stays here and adds a guy like Diamond Stone to Steve Taylor and the 2013 class, he will win a NC sooner here.  Which will make it even easier to recruit, giving him no reason to ever leave.  So he should definitely stay!

Yes, he will win a championship much quicker there because Texas has shown to be a national powerhouse the last 30 years in college hoops and as everyone knows, if you are successful in football, you are just as successful in basketball because of your brand and name recognition.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
Seriously, eff this entire thread in the face. I'm so sick of seeing this crape.

(and it's a blog, I should get over it...but still...this is a joke. Every effing March. It's our own version of groundhog day. MU Scoopers put on their MSU Sparty-like "little brother"/"woe is me"/fatalist routine.)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »
I love Buzz but not going predict NC for him at MU or someplace else if he happens to leave. Texas is not a no brainer for NC regardless of who is the coach. Louisville has deeper history of success and Pitino is still chasing his first there. I do not hold Buzz in same class ( I know Pitino has no class) as Pitino as this stage of his career.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
MU has the 2nd highest basketball budget in the country...Chicago right down the road...so should we be winning more than we are?

C'mon dude.  You know ther's a difference between recruiting CPL at MU (competing with IU, MSU, Illinois, then Duke, UNC, etc. when it's a real blue chipper like Parker or Okafor) vs. recruiting at a flagship school like UT within a state as parochial and prideful as Texas, not to mention a much higher volume of top talent than the city of Chicago alone.  The state of Wisconsin is experiencing a recent deep talent boon starting in 2013, and Buzz has capitalized to the tune of DuWilson, Burton, and McKay, while picking off STaylor from Chicago in the process.  Looney, Stone and Ellenson are top names that could take us from good to great.  That is a perfect storm of elite level Wisconsin talent that isn't consistent.  Texas churns out talent like this every year like clockwork.  And as the head coach at UT, you start on even footing with those guys, unlike starting from behind at MU.  If Buzz stays, I expect that will change (MU becoming more of a destination "it" school for Wisconsin & CPL), but it takes time to build up that kind of branding and relationships.  Texas already has that, and Buzz already has deep Texas HS & JUCO connections.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Nevermind the coach, there is a grand total of 14 schools that have won more than 1 championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Championship#Championships.2C_by_schools

Not exactly a who's who of football schools either. Florida is the only real exception. If your goal is to win a national championship, take a look at that list of all the winners, and tell me why any coach would want to go to a football school like Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. you are second banana the moment you walk in the door relative to exposure, interest, budget, etc.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
C'mon dude.  You know ther's a difference between recruiting CPL at MU (competing with IU, MSU, Illinois, then Duke, UNC, etc. when it's a real blue chipper like Parker or Okafor) vs. recruiting at a flagship school like UT within a state as parochial and prideful as Texas, not to mention a much higher volume of top talent than the city of Chicago alone.  The state of Wisconsin is experiencing a recent deep talent boon starting in 2013, and Buzz has capitalized to the tune of DuWilson, Burton, and McKay, while picking off STaylor from Chicago in the process.  Looney, Stone and Ellenson are top names that could take us from good to great.  That is a perfect storm of elite level Wisconsin talent that isn't consistent.  Texas churns out talent like this every year like clockwork.  And as the head coach at UT, you start on even footing with those guys, unlike starting from behind at MU.  If Buzz stays, I expect that will change (MU becoming more of a destination "it" school for Wisconsin & CPL), but it takes time to build up that kind of branding and relationships.  Texas already has that, and Buzz already has deep Texas HS & JUCO connections.

You realize that Texas is really big, too, right? That it doesn't just have two solid, D-1 programs in it, right? That there are a ton of schools and ALL of them recruit the top-flight Texas talent, not to mention all the other schools frou OUTSIDE Texas that recurit there, right? Why does UT get those guys automatically? Because of Buzz friggin' Williams? And why do you shape the situation in Wisconsin to fit your argument ("WI is experiencing a recent deep talent boon")? As if MU's success is dependent on getting top WI talent? It certainly helps, but for the majority of the last decade, the top player on the team came from outside WI.

C'mon. Wisconsin does not have deep h.s. talent, but, arguably every year they produce 1-2 top HS prospects. The only difference recently is that the top guys are choosing MU more frequently than they did in the past.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Nevermind the coach, there is a grand total of 14 schools that have won more than 1 championship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Championship#Championships.2C_by_schools

Not exactly a who's who of football schools either. Florida is the only real exception. If your goal is to win a national championship, take a look at that list of all the winners, and tell me why any coach would want to go to a football school like Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc. you are second banana the moment you walk in the door relative to exposure, interest, budget, etc.

Well, 16 schools once Buzz wins 1 at MU (putting MU at 2) and then when Buzz wins multiple at UT.
 ::)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
Okay fine, you guys disagree with my opinion, and I disagree with yours.

Texas is a top 10 job IMO, and Barnes has slightly underachieved.  MU is currently top 20 with the potential to move up if Buzz stays and continues to build our brand.  I think he already has us on the verge of big things (a guy like Stone would push the future roster over the edge), so the incentive to leave currently is minimal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Well, 16 schools once Buzz wins 1 at MU (putting MU at 2) and then when Buzz wins multiple at UT.

;D

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Okay fine, you guys disagree with my opinion, and I disagree with yours.

Texas is a top 10 job IMO, and Barnes has slightly underachieved.  MU is currently top 20 with the potential to move up if Buzz stays and continues to build our brand.  I think he already has us on the verge of big things (a guy like Stone would push the future roster over the edge), so the incentive to leave currently is minimal.

How many national titles would Brad Stevens win at UT?

leever

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »
Kabongo is pretty good, eh?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »

Right, because I said he would win one at MU then go on to win 2 at UT.  Why would he ever leave MU if he could win a NC here?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »

I said Texas is in the same vein as Florida.  A football school with basketball as an afterthought.  Donovan has brought them 2 national championships, a NC runner-up, an E8 last year, and a final 4 favorite this year.  In the same time span at UT, I think Buzz would come very close to bringing the same results.  Luckily, I think he'll stay at MU for 10 more years and do the same  ;D

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
I said Texas is in the same vein as Florida.  A football school with basketball as an afterthought.  Donovan has brought them 2 national championships, a NC runner-up, an E8 last year, and a final 4 favorite this year.  In the same time span at UT, I think Buzz would come very close to bringing the same results.  Luckily, I think he'll stay at MU for 10 more years and do the same  ;D

At the time Florida hired Donavon, would that school have been viewed as a "top 10" program? I highly, highly doubt it. Lon Kruger took them to a final four but they were still a football school. Would Florida been able to recruit one of the top young coaches in the game just because it's Florida? Donovan was looked at as a good coach at Marshall but wasn't even close to the level Buzz has proven to be. Florida then equals Texas now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
If Buzz goes there and stays long enough he will bring them multiple national championships.

You do realize how tough it is to win even one championship, let alone multiple, right?

Roy Williams won none at Kansas. Lute Olson won one at Arizona. Al won one at Marquette. Louie won none at St. John's. Thompson won one at Georgetown. Jud Heathcote won one at Michigan State. Tom Izzo has won one at Michigan State. Tark won one at UNLV. Pitino hasn't won any at Louisville. Bo hasn't won any for Bucky.

Pretty good coaches who built pretty good programs during long tenures.

And yet Buzz just shows up at Texas and is guaranteed multiple titles?

You're right ... with such a money-back, iron-clad guarantee, they should fire Barnes now and give Buzz $10 million per year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
If Texas is stupid enough to fire Barnes because of this one bad year, with all of the talented underclassmen on the team, then they don't deserve Buzz. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
I'm still intrigued by the suggestion that Texas is a Top 10 job. Which of these are you taking off the list (in no particular order)

Kentucky
Duke
UNC
Indiana
UCLA
Kansas
Syracuse
Georgetown
Michigan State
Louisville
Arizona
UConn
Ohio State

That's just off the top of my head. Even if you want to increase your number to 15, they are there primarily because of the guy you are suggesting should be fired.