Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East may sell name to C-7  (Read 21237 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Big East may sell name to C-7
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
It pisses me off the need to buy it but think it might be right move. I have been told on here how few people outside of MU fans know Buzz is our coach and if true keeping name makes sense. Name recognition is big. Heard on ESPN during Sat. game that seeding is still somewhat biased in favor of blueblood schools and think conference bias is there as well. It will not be same BE but if it fools enough people probably worth the investment to buy it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
I completely agree whole-heartedly.  Only bad thing is that it doesn't look like you will see Jay Bilas on the sidelines announcing the tourney.  And he loves Marquette.  He's been big on Marquette since Tom Crean first came there.  Also hope that Bill Raftery will be able to get the color commentating job for a few "Catholic 7" games...tourney or regular season.

Ah, but we get Gus Johnson which for the casual fan I think is a great trade off.  I love Jay Bilas, I think he is the best color guy in the business and Raferty/McDonough/Bilas is the best crew in basketball, but a color guy isn't as critical to the uninformed masses.  Gus Johnson will put butts in seats for Podunk U vs Multi-Directional State College.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Ah, but we get Gus Johnson which for the casual fan I think is a great trade off.  I love Jay Bilas, I think he is the best color guy in the business and Raferty/McDonough/Bilas is the best crew in basketball, but a color guy isn't as critical to the uninformed masses.  Gus Johnson will put butts in seats for Podunk U vs Multi-Directional State College.

Good point.  Gus is great too!  Maybe Bilas leaves ESPN and joins Gus?  yeah right!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »
I completely agree whole-heartedly.  Only bad thing is that it doesn't look like you will see Jay Bilas on the sidelines announcing the tourney.  And he loves Marquette.  He's been big on Marquette since Tom Crean first came there.  Also hope that Bill Raftery will be able to get the color commentating job for a few "Catholic 7" games...tourney or regular season.

Well, Jay isn't indentured to ESPN. He has a contract and it'll expire one of these days. Fox being Fox, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they make every effort to pull some big names from ESPN (a la Erin Andrews) and elsewhere when Fox 1 launches in an effort to lend it quick credibility. Bilas could be one of those guys.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
Well, Jay isn't indentured to ESPN. He has a contract and it'll expire one of these days. Fox being Fox, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they make every effort to pull some big names from ESPN (a la Erin Andrews) and elsewhere when Fox 1 launches in an effort to lend it quick credibility. Bilas could be one of those guys.

One can hope.  Gus Johnson, Bill Raftery, Jay Bilas on Fox...nice  ;D

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2013, 03:10:39 PM »

The NIT was once the best tournament in basketball. What is their brand worth today?

I love the NIT!

NIT, is now watered down because the ncaa field is 68 schools.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »
"ESPN president John Skipper recently told SI.com that he also believes Fox Sports will get the Catholic 7 deal, but Skipper said ESPN would be interested in sub-licensing some games."

The above is from the ESPN article talking about the Big East TV deal.  Maybe Bilas & Co. will get some Catholic 7 games after all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
"ESPN president John Skipper recently told SI.com that he also believes Fox Sports will get the Catholic 7 deal, but Skipper said ESPN would be interested in sub-licensing some games."

The above is from the ESPN article talking about the Big East TV deal.  Maybe Bilas & Co. will get some Catholic 7 games after all.

I'm wondering if sub-licensing means out-of-conference games or conference vs conference matchups, i.e. C7 vs Big 12 challenge or something of the sort.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5326#more-5326

Big East, Catholic 7 continue “exit” talks
February 26, 2013 – 2:19 pm

[Big East commissioner Mike] Aresco wants to move forward with his new look league, presumably with the  Big East name. It will be a trimmed down, more cohesive group. consisting of 10 teams in football for next season and either 11 or 12 teams in football and basketball by the start of the 2014 season.

Is Aresco serious he wants to keep the name or is it a negotiating gambit?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
C7 vs Big 12 challenge or something of the sort.
Catholics v. Thugs challenge? This is exactly why Cincy cannot join the conference. Football is a minor detail.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=5326#more-5326

Big East, Catholic 7 continue “exit” talks
February 26, 2013 – 2:19 pm

[Big East commissioner Mike] Aresco wants to move forward with his new look league, presumably with the  Big East name. It will be a trimmed down, more cohesive group. consisting of 10 teams in football for next season and either 11 or 12 teams in football and basketball by the start of the 2014 season.

Is Aresco serious he wants to keep the name or is it a negotiating gambit?

Okay, I've had it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f6l1QljpMo
Have some patience, FFS.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »
Would love to have Gus call some games for the new conference - he was 2 years ahead of me in high school and was a great guy. I think he is actually calling some soccer games these days too.

feedback