[Today at 12:37:36 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by MUbiz
[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which Three Season Run Would You Perfer?

Like 2003 to 2005 (FF, NIT, NIT)
29 (31.5%)
Like 2011 - 2013 (S16, S16, and hopefully S16)
63 (68.5%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: If you had to pick ...  (Read 4491 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
If you had to pick ...
« on: February 24, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
Since the BE went to 16 teams in 2006 ...

MU BE Regular Season

2013  -  currently tied for 2nd
2012 -  2nd
2011 -   Tied for 9th
2010 -   Tied for 5th
2009 -   5th
2008 -   Tied for 5th
2007 -   Tied for 4th
2006 -   Tied for 4th

Also since 2006
* every team had at least one below .500 season except MU
* only one team made the NCAA every year ... MU

MU has been among the most consistent year-to-year teams in the BE.  Always good but never great.  Yet, some seem to be complaining above the lack of a great season (you Madtown).

We had a great season in 2003 and the next two were NIT years.  This year we should have a seed that means a third consecutive S16 is not a stretch.

So, which would you rather have?  Vote above and explain below.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: If you had to pick ...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
2003 was awesome. That game in Minneapolis alone almost makes that run worth it. But I'd take S16, S16, E8 like we'll have after this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
2003 was awesome. That game in Minneapolis alone almost makes that run worth it. But I'd take S16, S16, E8 like we'll have after this year.

I like this a lot.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
The two years following 2003 were very disappointing for long term of program. FF was awfully good but not building on it created disappointment for long run. I really cannot pick on either option because both have positives and negatives. Will say watching Wade dismantle Kentucky was an A+.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
Wasn't the NIT because Diener got injured? Weren't we like just short? I wasn't a fan yet so Im just working off of what I've heard. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »
Diener broke his hand one year and was the only PG on the roster.   MU was probably going to get in that year, but faded without him and ended up getting rolled by Western Michigan at home in the NIT.   The other year, MU just didn't get it done.    Chapman, Townsend, Merrit, Novak, Diener were not good enough to get to the big dance. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
The year Travis got hurt they literally couldn't get the ball into the front court following his injury.  They were certainly on the way to the dance beforehand.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
The two years following 2003 were very disappointing for long term of program. FF was awfully good but not building on it created disappointment for long run. I really cannot pick on either option because both have positives and negatives. Will say watching Wade dismantle Kentucky was an A+.

Totally disagree...without the Final Four, Big East is tougher to get into.  We got into the Big East after the Final Four.  It helped us land the 3 amigos, etc, etc.  Having a Final Four is a major achievement.

Do they point to VCU's Final Four or their Sweet 16 appearance?   You hang banners for Final Fours, not Sweet 16's.

What if we go out in the first round this year, and the poll becomes?

FF (and Conference Championship), NIT, NIT
S16, S16, R64

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:16:53 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
Totally disagree...without the Final Four, Big East is tougher.  We got into the Big East after the Final Four.  It helped us land the 3 amigos, etc, etc.  Having a Final Four is a major achievement.

Do they point to VCU's Final Four or their Sweet 16 appearance?   You hang banners for Final Fours, not Sweet 16's.

What if we go out in the first round this year, and the poll becomes?

FF (and Conference Championship), NIT, NIT
S16, S16, R64

I don't think this is about justifying the past really.  Personally if I were looking forward I would take 3 16's in a row vs. FF, NIT, NIT....

I think it would be a better predictor of future success and excitement around the program.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »
I don't think this is about justifying the past really.  Personally if I were looking forward I would take 3 16's in a row vs. FF, NIT, NIT....

I think it would be a better predictor of future success and excitement around the program.

+1 this post is not about arguing the past. 

It's a simple question, would you take consistent good but not great ... Or a great season and then go away to into the wilderness (NIT) for two years.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
Ask me in April. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
Chico's

TC stepping on his Johnson after FF was not a good thing. Anyone close to the program was extremely disappointed in following two years. Wedding not build on something that was started. Politely say you are off base in saying the two post FF seasons were not a disappointment.

You really think MU got into BE solely because of making FF?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
+1 this post is not about arguing the past. 

It's a simple question, would you take consistent good but not great ... Or a great season and then go away to into the wilderness (NIT) for two years.

Not so much about arguing the past, it's what that FF specifically meant to the program. First time we got there in 25 years.  Put away the myths that had built up at MU that we no longer could get to the FF.  The K.O. myths that Sweet 16 was as good as we could ever do.  The Mike Deane myth that we should shoot for the NIT and the NCAA was gravy.

Because you put timeframes on it, hard not to see it through that lens.

If you want it not to be about the past, then you should put it like this.

What would you like better

FF, NIT, NIT

S16, S16, ??

Take the dates out of it because the dates in this particular case are paramount.  It's not we are Duke, or UNC, or UCLA, or IU, or some other Kentucky were a Final Four happens every 7 to 10 years.  That was a CRITICAL FF.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »
In Chicos defense, he was defending Crean's NIT years as vigorously while they were going on as he is now.   He used to get in extended arguments with abefroman about it while going on.   It would be inconsistent, if not hypocritical, for him to now admit they were substandard. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
Chico's

TC stepping on his Johnson after FF was not a good thing. Anyone close to the program was extremely disappointed in following two years. Wedding not build on something that was started. Politely say you are off base in saying the two post FF seasons were not a disappointment.

You really think MU got into BE solely because of making FF?

No, and I didn't say it was the sole reason.  I said it made it easier. Made it easier to get the funding for the Al.  Made many things easier.

We've gone through this many times before, there are MANY programs that went to the Final Four not to get back to the NCAA the next year...programs like Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky, NC State, Indiana, etc, etc. 

Some of you make it sound like we fell off the cliff after those two NIT years, instead we started a run in the Big East that no one else has matched since we joined...with that same Johnson stepping coach.  Injuries were part of the reason we went to one of those NITs, but people also want to ignore this as if it didn't happen....why, I don't know (well, I know exactly why they do it, we all do).

Did those two NIT years suck?  Sure. Did we rebound?  Yes, we did...and started a run that has us in the NCAAs about to be 8 straight years.   Doesn't take away that I'd take a FF in three years over 2 Sweet 16's and an unknown every day of the week. I think a lot of people forgot what that FF meant or what any FF means.  Sweet 16 means you did well one weekend.  FF means you did well two weekends and are playing in a third weekend.

Let me put it another way for some of you.  Do you think we're going to have a 10 year anniversary for the Sweet 16 teams?  Any of them?  I rest my case. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »
Chico's

Schools like Kansas can regroup much faster than MU. If Wade and FF was not building block for TC in recruiting nothing was at MU. He had opportunity to move to next level and did not get it done. That national attention should have allowed TC and program to move further ahead. One NIT appearance maybe, but two in a row. Trust me this is not coming from anti TC guy at all. In looking back I would think TC would probably now agree he did not get it done.

While I said I could not honestly vote in this poll because I am not sure, the FF trumps everything for the most part. The addition of two backwards seasons makes it tough for me. Also, I really cannot compare VCU one FF with MU. If goal is to surprise the nation every 50 years than VCU would be good place for you to compare things.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
I think anyone who thinks we are making the elite 8 this year is dreaming......I'd love to be wrong but just don't see us making that kind of a run with this team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
How far would we have to go this year for people to think the two sweet16s + this year is better than the FF and 2 Nits?
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »
How far would we have to go this year for people to think the two sweet16s + this year is better than the FF and 2 Nits?

The Final Four.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Let's see where we end up this year before you start comparing.

Either way one Final Four > three Sweet Sixteens.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »
I think anyone who thinks we are making the elite 8 this year is dreaming......I'd love to be wrong but just don't see us making that kind of a run with this team.

I understand what you're saying but shouldn't we hold this thought until the seedings come out?  If we make the S16 and then have to play #1 seed Gonzaga to make the E8, that changes thing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:39:47 PM by AnotherMU84 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
I'll be happy if we make it to the sweet 16 this year. I'll be happy if we win our 1st round game. This years team is good but not great. Three of our four losses in conference were due to good pressure defense. We even couldn't break the full court press Nova thru at us. Louisville did the same. I hope we don't see a team that plays good pressure defense.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
Let's see where we end up this year before you start comparing.

Either way one Final Four > three Sweet Sixteens.

George Mason's singular final four is better than the two sweet 16s and hopefully at least a third one? I disagree. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »
George Mason's singular final four is better than the two sweet 16s and hopefully at least a third one? I disagree. 

Sweet 16s aren't increasing your profile in conference realignment. Final Fours are. See Marquette to BE and George Mason/VCU to C7 talk.

Give me four Sweet Sixteens compared to one Final Four and that might be equal. The exposure with one Final Four and the weight it carries is ridiculous.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Final Four. Buildings get put up and the money pours in!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton