'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Play Steve more. Play Steve more." - Buzz postgame  (Read 10914 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: "Play Steve more. Play Steve more." - Buzz postgame
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
Yep, sure have. Just haven't been talkin' to you pal.

You must be the guy with the station wagon and the microphone who drives up and down sconnie ave. Y'all!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:05:54 PM by We R Final Four »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
I have been saying this all season: Steve Taylor will be the conference (whatever the new conference is called) player of the year either his junior or senior season. Kid is a stud. Chi-town baller ya'll

Right there with ya buddy. No doubt in my mind.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
You must be the guy with the station wagon and the microphone who drives up and down sconnie ave. Y'all!

How'd you guess?  :o

MakeItRain11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »

+1

Lol! I read this comment and spit out the water I was drinking all over my cell phone....I think it's broke now.......so I am going to need $500......you know, whenever you get the chance.....

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
I've said it before ST reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas. When he fills out he will be the prototype PF and a bona fide STUD

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
and yes I've wanted him in a lot more.  He's hungry and ready to play. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:26 AM »
I like what I've seen of Steve Taylor and believe he will have a nice Marquette career.

For now, however, I think I will hold off on comparing him to Maurice Lucas, guaranteeing that he will be conference PoY and opining that he is the greatest thing to hit Milwaukee since Leon's Frozen Custard.

Perspective, please. Can we let the kid at least become a starter before we proclaim him Stud of the Decade? 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Agree with the "young Maurice Lucas" comparison...Unfortunately, as Mo only lasted 2 years at MU, we never saw anything but a "young MO" at MU.  If he would have lasted 4 years there would be another banner hanging up there.  Pick a year..'75??  '76??  

I was thinking the other day (not all year) that I sure hope the Simeon dude stays for four years.  Ist team all-state, for the Illinois State Champion, not bad credentials to have coming in.  And he seems to work hard while having his head screwed on straight.  He doesn't have the minutes yet he's better than advertised.  Good times ahead.  I loves me some Steve Taylor.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:28:33 AM by MUrugger »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 01:54:25 AM »
I've said it before ST reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas. When he fills out he will be the prototype PF and a bona fide STUD

I wouldn't be comparing Taylor with Luke just yet. Luke was a Dapper Dan stud and the most sought after prep big man in the land. Taylor will be a good one, possibly great, but he is nowhere near Luke. Uh uh.

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
and yes I've wanted him in a lot more.  He's hungry and ready to play. 

This sounds a bit creepy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
Ron Curry was a different type player. He was more of a three and was very, very good. As for comparing Taylor to Luke...no comparison at this stage of the game. Big Taylor fan here and looking forward to watching him play in upcoming years.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »
Ron Curry was a different type player. He was more of a three and was very, very good. As for comparing Taylor to Luke...no comparison at this stage of the game. Big Taylor fan here and looking forward to watching him play in upcoming years.

Tough to compare Taylor to Luke as a freshman because Luke had to play on the freshman team and could not play varsity until his sophomore year.  Taylor does look like he will be special.  He sure can get the ball to the basket in traffic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
Where do you take the minutes to play Steve more?    Start Steve instead of Juan?    Have Vander play point, Lockett play the two, JWilson and Steve at the 3-4?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
I purposefully didn't include Lucas in my original comparison.  That's a whole 'nuther level.  Don't think we can quite project retiring #25 just yet.  But Steve has been excellent in his role this year and has loads of potential, for sure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
Agree with the "young Maurice Lucas" comparison...Unfortunately, as Mo only lasted 2 years at MU, we never saw anything but a "young MO" at MU.  If he would have lasted 4 years there would be another banner hanging up there.  Pick a year..'75??  '76??  

I was thinking the other day (not all year) that I sure hope the Simeon dude stays for four years.  Ist team all-state, for the Illinois State Champion, not bad credentials to have coming in.  And he seems to work hard while having his head screwed on straight.  He doesn't have the minutes yet he's better than advertised.  Good times ahead.  I loves me some Steve Taylor.

Luke was here 3 years. However, freshman couldn't play varsity ball. He left following his junior year. As for comparisons, Steve Taylor is to Maurice Lucas as PeeWee Herman is to Ron Jeremy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
My prediction for Steve Taylor's progression: Kevin Jones

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »

Luke was here 3 years. However, freshman couldn't play varsity ball. He left following his junior year. As for comparisons, Steve Taylor is to Maurice Lucas as PeeWee Herman is to Ron Jeremy.

I second your comment, Maurice was a real beast, it was a shame he left early.  Steve Taylor is a nice player, but your analysis is right on.  Not saying Steve Taylor can not get to that
level, but we are talking about an NBA All-Star, if he becomes 80% of Maurice that would be fine.  Good sub right now, have to wait till junior year to get real minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
I feel bad for Steve.  It is his fate to be a freshman on the deepest MU team in forever.   This is literally the first team in a decade that doesn't need him to play big minutes.  In any of the other Buzz years, he would have gotten big minutes.   Under Crean the last few years, he woud have been Mbakwe.  He has game and will be good.   Just bad luck that he doesn't have to be a star this year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
These things take care of themselves. Anderson seeing his minutes decrease - as they should, Mayo doesn't get a lot of time, foul trouble, etc., and rotations tend to tighten up this time of year. If Taylor is as good as we all seem to believe he is, the game andhis coach will find him. Entirely possible if not likely that he will break out in a big way over the next 30 days.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

I like to think there'd be another banner but no way, even with Lucas, do we beat that 76 Indiana team. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Indeed, Juan had defensive lapses last evening. If he doesn't improve in that regard his minutes will go down, not up.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
i was really young at the time ron curry played for mu, so i'm thinking as a youngster at the time i over-estimated curry's play, but are the two comparable?  for whatever reason curry's name came to mind when reading the above quote.  

Looking for Curry's numbers:
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/ron_curry

Did he really shoot that few 3 pointers his Junior/Senior years?  I remember him shooting a lot of those.

Similar sizes, but Steve has some weight on 33 (guessing mostly muscle).

And WOW this was when Chicago recruiting was huge:
In 1988, Curry was selected to the Illinois All-State Second Team. Joining him on the All-State Team list were some notable collegians and pro players: David Booth (Peoria Manual), Acie Earl (Moline H.S.), LaPhonso Ellis (East St. Louis Lincoln), Johnnie Melvin (Chicago Robeson), Eric Anderson (Chicago St. Francis de Sales), Andy Kaufmann (Jacksonville H.S.), Rob Pelinka (Lake Forest H.S.), and Deon Thomas (Chicago Simeon).
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »

Did he really shoot that few 3 pointers his Junior/Senior years?  I remember him shooting a lot those.

Think about who was on that team...I'd be surprised if they took many at all. If they did Logterman would have been the one to take them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »

The Legends stand out from the crowd, don't they?

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
I compared ST to a YOUNG  Maurice Lucas and ,as I have seen both play in their youth, I still stand by seeing the Potential. He has the frame to fill out and the game. People start comparing Freshman ST to a mature player and lose track of the point to try and be contrary. Don't they offer LOGIC 101 at MU anymore?