[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Play Steve more. Play Steve more." - Buzz postgame  (Read 10915 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
"Play Steve more. Play Steve more." - Buzz postgame
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »
Yes.

Too bad we can't have 6 guys on the court.

chapman

• All American
Re: "Play Steve more. Play Steve more." - Buzz postgame
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
Rolling through his mind when he can't sleep: "play Steve more...play Steve more..."  lol.  Raved about him being always around the ball, just minutes tough to come by right now.  Has difficulty fitting him in during practice as well due to matchups, but appreciates his maturity in handling it.

Said the "wardrobe malfunction" was from pulling Vander up after a loose ball, it ripped his shirt.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »
He plays like an upper classman already.  Can't wait to watch him develop.  He is special
No Finish Line

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Taylor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »
Just finished listening to it on my iPad.  Started a good 20 minutes after the game ended.

Buzz spent most of his time explaining why Steve Taylor is not playing more ... too many guys (CO, DG, JW, TL) playing well and it is hard to get him in the game.  He said Steve has been very mature about it.  Buzz did emphasize that he walks the sidelines saying to himself "get Steve in the game, get Steve in the game."  Nice problem to have.

He also said he was helping Vander get up and Vander pulled on Buzz's tie and popped a few buttons.  That accounts for the wardrobe malfunction.

Finally, he praised Vander as a person and his game over and over.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »
Great problem to have. Buzz has really filled the cupboard with high quality talent and depth.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
5 boards in 9 minutes.  The kid is going to be an outstanding #4.  I can't quite peg who he reminds me of from MU's history.  Maybe a little Ric Cobb or Robert Jackson in those bloodlines? 

We R Final Four

• All American
Taylor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
Did he say he's a great player but an even better human being?
 Thats the Buzz I know.

Side note--heard a clip going to commercial today on local am radio and Buzz said jamil is one of the smartest players he's ever been around......wait for it......much smarter than me (Buzz).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Taylor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
Did he say he's a great player but an even better human being?
 Thats the Buzz I know.

Side note--heard a clip going to commercial today on local am radio and Buzz said jamil is one of the smartest players he's ever been around......wait for it......much smarter than me (Buzz).

Not only did he say Vander is a great player and a better human being but I believe he said the same about Steve Taylor.  A twofer ... sorry you missed it.

bkooncy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
Why can't we start Steve in place of Juan, I feel that steve works harder and brings more to the table.  That would get him more minutes.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
That is awesome.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
Why can't we start Steve in place of Juan, I feel that steve works harder and brings more to the table.  That would get him more minutes.

Patience young grasshopper.  The real answer is that Steve still has defensive breakdowns at times. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
5 boards in 9 minutes.  The kid is going to be an outstanding #4.  I can't quite peg who he reminds me of from MU's history.  Maybe a little Ric Cobb or Robert Jackson in those bloodlines? 

i was really young at the time ron curry played for mu, so i'm thinking as a youngster at the time i over-estimated curry's play, but are the two comparable?  for whatever reason curry's name came to mind when reading the above quote.  

bkooncy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
Patience young grasshopper.  The real answer is that Steve still has defensive breakdowns at times. 
Juan only played 9 minutes and had two turn overs.  I loved Juan at the beginning of the season, but I feel like he has started to tapper off.  What are we going to do next year with Juan, Steve, JaJuan Johnson, DG, and maybe CO?  I just think Steve will see more time than Juan and has a better up side.  Just my thoughts.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
i was really young at the time ron curry played for mu, so i'm thinking as a youngster at the time i over-estimated curry's play, but are the two comparable?  for whatever reason curry's name came to mind when reading the above quote.  

Thought the exact same thing.  Curry was a transfer from Az so he had 2 years on Steve.  We're comparing a 3rd year player (with redshirt) to a 1st year.  Also was more of a Small forward where Steve is more of a power forward.  Steve reminds me of all the 6'8" we seem to always play that are long and give us fits.  Now we finally have one of our own.  It will be fun to watch him for 4 years.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »
Free Steve Taylor!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »
  Steve reminds me of all the 6'8" we seem to always play that are long and give us fits.  Now we finally have one of our own.  It will be fun to watch him for 4 years.

Just what I was thinking. Not sure when we've had that guy with the same combination of size and ability. He reminds me of a guy that would have played for Bob Huggins at Cincinnati back in the day.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »

Juan had a couple of those in his 9 minutes as well, unfortunately.  Hopefully he can tighten things up since he did have a string of effective starts, but hasn't been good lately.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
I'm praying for a more skilled combination of Jimmy Butler and Lazar Hayward
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
I have been saying this all season: Steve Taylor will be the conference (whatever the new conference is called) player of the year either his junior or senior season. Kid is a stud. Chi-town baller ya'll

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
Just what I was thinking. Not sure when we've had that guy with the same combination of size and ability. He reminds me of a guy that would have played for Bob Huggins at Cincinnati back in the day.

Except Steve goes to class and the library.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »
I have been saying this all season: Steve Taylor will be the conference (whatever the new conference is called) player of the year either his junior or senior season. Kid is a stud. Chi-town baller ya'll

Saying it all season with your first post!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

You have? All season? Haven't heard about it until now.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
You have? All season? Haven't heard about it until now.

Yep, sure have. Just haven't been talkin' to you pal.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
Saying it all season with your first post!

Some people communicate with others besides message boards. But yes, my first post and first time saying it on scoop.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Juan is a 3.  Taylor a 4.  With Trent graduating this year and Juan maturing more, I think Juans minutes will increase next season.  With Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor maturing no need to play Juan out of position.  Juan reminds me a bit of Fitzgerald having to play the 4.  Just doesn't work out that good.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »
Yep, sure have. Just haven't been talkin' to you pal.

You must be the guy with the station wagon and the microphone who drives up and down sconnie ave. Y'all!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:05:54 PM by We R Final Four »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »

Right there with ya buddy. No doubt in my mind.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »
You must be the guy with the station wagon and the microphone who drives up and down sconnie ave. Y'all!

How'd you guess?  :o

MakeItRain11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »

+1

Lol! I read this comment and spit out the water I was drinking all over my cell phone....I think it's broke now.......so I am going to need $500......you know, whenever you get the chance.....

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
I've said it before ST reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas. When he fills out he will be the prototype PF and a bona fide STUD

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
and yes I've wanted him in a lot more.  He's hungry and ready to play. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:26 AM »
I like what I've seen of Steve Taylor and believe he will have a nice Marquette career.

For now, however, I think I will hold off on comparing him to Maurice Lucas, guaranteeing that he will be conference PoY and opining that he is the greatest thing to hit Milwaukee since Leon's Frozen Custard.

Perspective, please. Can we let the kid at least become a starter before we proclaim him Stud of the Decade? 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
Agree with the "young Maurice Lucas" comparison...Unfortunately, as Mo only lasted 2 years at MU, we never saw anything but a "young MO" at MU.  If he would have lasted 4 years there would be another banner hanging up there.  Pick a year..'75??  '76??  

I was thinking the other day (not all year) that I sure hope the Simeon dude stays for four years.  Ist team all-state, for the Illinois State Champion, not bad credentials to have coming in.  And he seems to work hard while having his head screwed on straight.  He doesn't have the minutes yet he's better than advertised.  Good times ahead.  I loves me some Steve Taylor.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:28:33 AM by MUrugger »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2013, 01:54:25 AM »
I've said it before ST reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas. When he fills out he will be the prototype PF and a bona fide STUD

I wouldn't be comparing Taylor with Luke just yet. Luke was a Dapper Dan stud and the most sought after prep big man in the land. Taylor will be a good one, possibly great, but he is nowhere near Luke. Uh uh.

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:30 AM »
and yes I've wanted him in a lot more.  He's hungry and ready to play. 

This sounds a bit creepy.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 06:26:55 AM »
Ron Curry was a different type player. He was more of a three and was very, very good. As for comparing Taylor to Luke...no comparison at this stage of the game. Big Taylor fan here and looking forward to watching him play in upcoming years.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »
Ron Curry was a different type player. He was more of a three and was very, very good. As for comparing Taylor to Luke...no comparison at this stage of the game. Big Taylor fan here and looking forward to watching him play in upcoming years.

Tough to compare Taylor to Luke as a freshman because Luke had to play on the freshman team and could not play varsity until his sophomore year.  Taylor does look like he will be special.  He sure can get the ball to the basket in traffic.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:46 AM »
Where do you take the minutes to play Steve more?    Start Steve instead of Juan?    Have Vander play point, Lockett play the two, JWilson and Steve at the 3-4?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
I purposefully didn't include Lucas in my original comparison.  That's a whole 'nuther level.  Don't think we can quite project retiring #25 just yet.  But Steve has been excellent in his role this year and has loads of potential, for sure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
Agree with the "young Maurice Lucas" comparison...Unfortunately, as Mo only lasted 2 years at MU, we never saw anything but a "young MO" at MU.  If he would have lasted 4 years there would be another banner hanging up there.  Pick a year..'75??  '76??  

I was thinking the other day (not all year) that I sure hope the Simeon dude stays for four years.  Ist team all-state, for the Illinois State Champion, not bad credentials to have coming in.  And he seems to work hard while having his head screwed on straight.  He doesn't have the minutes yet he's better than advertised.  Good times ahead.  I loves me some Steve Taylor.

Luke was here 3 years. However, freshman couldn't play varsity ball. He left following his junior year. As for comparisons, Steve Taylor is to Maurice Lucas as PeeWee Herman is to Ron Jeremy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
My prediction for Steve Taylor's progression: Kevin Jones

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »

Luke was here 3 years. However, freshman couldn't play varsity ball. He left following his junior year. As for comparisons, Steve Taylor is to Maurice Lucas as PeeWee Herman is to Ron Jeremy.

I second your comment, Maurice was a real beast, it was a shame he left early.  Steve Taylor is a nice player, but your analysis is right on.  Not saying Steve Taylor can not get to that
level, but we are talking about an NBA All-Star, if he becomes 80% of Maurice that would be fine.  Good sub right now, have to wait till junior year to get real minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
I feel bad for Steve.  It is his fate to be a freshman on the deepest MU team in forever.   This is literally the first team in a decade that doesn't need him to play big minutes.  In any of the other Buzz years, he would have gotten big minutes.   Under Crean the last few years, he woud have been Mbakwe.  He has game and will be good.   Just bad luck that he doesn't have to be a star this year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
These things take care of themselves. Anderson seeing his minutes decrease - as they should, Mayo doesn't get a lot of time, foul trouble, etc., and rotations tend to tighten up this time of year. If Taylor is as good as we all seem to believe he is, the game andhis coach will find him. Entirely possible if not likely that he will break out in a big way over the next 30 days.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

I like to think there'd be another banner but no way, even with Lucas, do we beat that 76 Indiana team. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Indeed, Juan had defensive lapses last evening. If he doesn't improve in that regard his minutes will go down, not up.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »

Looking for Curry's numbers:
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/ron_curry

Did he really shoot that few 3 pointers his Junior/Senior years?  I remember him shooting a lot of those.

Similar sizes, but Steve has some weight on 33 (guessing mostly muscle).

And WOW this was when Chicago recruiting was huge:
In 1988, Curry was selected to the Illinois All-State Second Team. Joining him on the All-State Team list were some notable collegians and pro players: David Booth (Peoria Manual), Acie Earl (Moline H.S.), LaPhonso Ellis (East St. Louis Lincoln), Johnnie Melvin (Chicago Robeson), Eric Anderson (Chicago St. Francis de Sales), Andy Kaufmann (Jacksonville H.S.), Rob Pelinka (Lake Forest H.S.), and Deon Thomas (Chicago Simeon).
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »

Did he really shoot that few 3 pointers his Junior/Senior years?  I remember him shooting a lot those.

Think about who was on that team...I'd be surprised if they took many at all. If they did Logterman would have been the one to take them.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »

The Legends stand out from the crowd, don't they?

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
I compared ST to a YOUNG  Maurice Lucas and ,as I have seen both play in their youth, I still stand by seeing the Potential. He has the frame to fill out and the game. People start comparing Freshman ST to a mature player and lose track of the point to try and be contrary. Don't they offer LOGIC 101 at MU anymore?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
I compared ST to a YOUNG  Maurice Lucas and ,as I have seen both play in their youth, I still stand by seeing the Potential. He has the frame to fill out and the game. People start comparing Freshman ST to a mature player and lose track of the point to try and be contrary. Don't they offer LOGIC 101 at MU anymore?

Compare ST coming out of Simeon to Luke coming out of Schenley:

Luke was a Dapper Dan AA, that era's McDonald's AA
   Steve Taylor was not a McDonald's AA

Luke was ranked by Sonny Vaccaro as the Nation's #1 Prep Sr 4 and #3 Overall prospect
   Steve Taylor was ranked by Scout as the Nation's #22 Prep Sr 4 and #92 Overall prospect

Luke was much more highly rated coming out of high school than Steve Taylor. An important note is that Luke wasn't always a Big. He grew 7" between his sophomore and junior seasons.

Luke was an All American at Marquette before leaving after his Junior year. He then played 14 seasons in the NBA. We all have high hopes for Taylor but he isn't in Luke's league.

Death on call

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
I feel bad for Steve.  It is his fate to be a freshman on the deepest MU team in forever.   This is literally the first team in a decade that doesn't need him to play big minutes.  In any of the other Buzz years, he would have gotten big minutes.   Under Crean the last few years, he woud have been Mbakwe.  He has game and will be good.   Just bad luck that he doesn't have to be a star this year.

Agreed.  On some MU teams I recall, Steve would not only be starting, he'd be one of the most effective players our there for us.  Oh, these are better days.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
I saw the "young" Maurice Lucas and Steve Taylor is no Maurice Lucas, young or old.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 09:40:58 PM »
Buzz is going to revolutionize the game by playing the first 6-man floor rotation in order to get Steve more minutes.  Teams will have no answer for this, looking outnumbered on the floor.  The position will henceforth be known as the "ghost forward."

...It's been a long day.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
Buzz is going to revolutionize the game by playing the first 6-man floor rotation in order to get Steve more minutes.  Teams will have no answer for this, looking outnumbered on the floor.  The position will henceforth be known as the "ghost forward."

...It's been a long day.

It will work.  But to be effective our players have to move swiftly.  Constantly.  Even when the ball is not in play.  Constant swift movement.

All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:06 PM »
It will work.  But to be effective our players have to move swiftly.  Constantly.  Even when the ball is not in play.  Constant swift movement.

And Buzz introduces basketball to the tertiary break.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
I don't think that even Buzz knows Steve's full potential yet.  Keep in mind that he did not play a minute of organized basketball until he was a sophomore in high school. He's still learning.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »
I don't think that even Buzz knows Steve's full potential yet.  Keep in mind that he did not play a minute of organized basketball until he was a sophomore in high school. He's still learning.

The same for Lucas. Until his growth spurt he was on the swimming team.

Lucas was one of the three most nationally sought after recruits signed by Marquette and he went on to the most successful pro career until Wade. There is no point of comparison with Taylor.

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »
Look at the picture of Lucas above as a skinny prep. Notice the physical comparison ?
You data geeks miss the whole point and get all excited to expound on what you can get off the Internet while totally missing the point. ST is a freshman and you can't possibly compare where he is to an NBA career. physically he reminds me of a YOUNG  Lucas. I would wish him as successful a career and expect good things from him but keep it real.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 01:00:38 AM »
Look at the picture of Lucas above as a skinny prep. Notice the physical comparison ?
You data geeks miss the whole point and get all excited to expound on what you can get off the Internet while totally missing the point. ST is a freshman and you can't possibly compare where he is to an NBA career. physically he reminds me of a YOUNG  Lucas. I would wish him as successful a career and expect good things from him but keep it real.

Ok, let's look at the empirical evidence for both Lucas and Taylor coming out of high school (we won't mention anything about Luke's career at Marquette or the NBA):

Luke was ranked by Sonny Vaccaro as the Nation's #1 Prep Sr 4 and #3 Overall prospect
   Steve Taylor was ranked by Scout as the Nation's #22 Prep Sr 4 and #92 Overall prospect

Luke was much more highly rated coming out of high school than Steve Taylor. An important note is that Luke wasn't always a Big. He grew 7" between his sophomore and junior seasons.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »
Ok, let's look at the empirical evidence for both Lucas and Taylor coming out of high school (we won't mention anything about Luke's career at Marquette or the NBA):

I hear what you're saying and I'm not disputing it.  But, Sonny Vaccaro is hardly an objective source.  That year he probably had 15 players ranked as #1 in the country at the position and #50 in the top 10 of the country. The guy was the original "street agent" in college basketball, and  a self-promoter first, who always made wild claims.

Vaccaro = A traditional World Wide Wes
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:32:21 AM by AnotherMU84 »

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
I still loves me some Steve Taylor.  I only agreed with the comparison to Luke...and I meant physically, meaning body type, attack to the basket, ball firm in his hands like Luke.  He's even got the menace and the curled lip smile/smug of our beloved Mo Lucas.

I agree with the elephant man that this thread took a whole different tack than the one suggested by his post.  If one has been watching MU hoops for 40+ years (as precious few of those who post here do) you are hard pressed to come up with another player in those 40 years who more reminds you of Mo Lucas than Steve Taylor does.  That's it.  I agreed with the comparison.  Then the self-anointed, cybersperts took over, same as I left it.

Mo Lucas has arguably been the greatest Warrior ever.  I don't think Steve Taylor will ever be in that discussion--but he still in a lot of ways reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas.  (Though I don't remember Mo's 7-inch growth spurt while he was at MU, certainly not when he lived in McCormick for two years.)

The other thing...as I remember watching it on a pre-historic big screen in the Mug Rack, my recollection is that MU shoulda, coulda and woulda beat that undefeated Kent Benson, Scott May, Bobby Wilkerson, Quinn Buckner '76 Indiana team.  In a Mideast Regional final, the box score says we lost by 9.  I remember it as much closer than that, and a couple of key plays/calls that went against us decided the outcome, Luke-less, of-course.

I'll hang up now and may check back later to see how wrong I was...or maybe not.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
Was at that Tourney game in Baton Rouge. While the game was close, never got the feeling that MU would get over the hump and win it. Some foul trouble on Scott May helped us out. In the end, IU's roster was stocked with NBA players. While Quinn Buckner never became an Association superstar, once he stuck out his big, old tookus, you had no choice but to foul him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:52:59 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
I still loves me some Steve Taylor.  I only agreed with the comparison to Luke...and I meant physically, meaning body type, attack to the basket, ball firm in his hands like Luke.  He's even got the menace and the curled lip smile/smug of our beloved Mo Lucas.

I agree with the elephant man that this thread took a whole different tack than the one suggested by his post.  If one has been watching MU hoops for 40+ years (as precious few of those who post here do) you are hard pressed to come up with another player in those 40 years who more reminds you of Mo Lucas than Steve Taylor does.  That's it.  I agreed with the comparison.  Then the self-anointed, cybersperts took over, same as I left it.

Mo Lucas has arguably been the greatest Warrior ever.  I don't think Steve Taylor will ever be in that discussion--but he still in a lot of ways reminds me of a young Maurice Lucas.  (Though I don't remember Mo's 7-inch growth spurt while he was at MU, certainly not when he lived in McCormick for two years.)

The other thing...as I remember watching it on a pre-historic big screen in the Mug Rack, my recollection is that MU shoulda, coulda and woulda beat that undefeated Kent Benson, Scott May, Bobby Wilkerson, Quinn Buckner '76 Indiana team.  In a Mideast Regional final, the box score says we lost by 9.  I remember it as much closer than that, and a couple of key plays/calls that went against us decided the outcome, Luke-less, of-course.

I'll hang up now and may check back later to see how wrong I was...or maybe not.

Taylor and Luke have a resemblance, no question. And truly I hope he is the next coming of Luke and takes us back to our perennial perch at the top of CBB.

Luke's growth spurt was when he was at Schenley High. Until that happened his sport was swimming. He was a Dapper Dan selection when that was the McDonald's game. I was looking through the Dapper Dan Roundball Classic archives and it was interesting to read some of the MVPs of that annual game: Calvin Murphy, Patrick Ewing, Rod Strickland, Jim McDaniels, Campy Russell, Adrian Dantley, Moses Malone, Phil Hubbard, Tom McMillan, Sidney Green, Dominigue Wilkins, Pearl Washington, and Wes Matthews SR.

IU won the title in 1976. Had Luke stayed he would have graduated in '75 so he wouldn't have been a factor.

Death on call

feedback