[Today at 12:07:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Otule's Improvement  (Read 16872 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Otule's Improvement
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one has started a thread about Otule's improvement the last few games.  He seems to be moving better than anytime this year and has been playing more aggressively as well.

It seems like only now is he really recovering and getting back into the groove.  Here's hoping he stays healthy because his presence could be a big factor next month.

Thoughts/comments?

P.S. Let's stop the talk that Otule is going to "move on" next year.  And do what?  Start selling insurance?  All scenarios make MU a worse team without him next year and if he has a chance to play another year, absolutely take it with hesitation.

MU82

• All American
Re: Otule's Improvement
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
Big Otule fan. He has had a solid season and, as AnotherMU says, he has played especially well the last few games. His interior presence on defense -- whether blocking shots or influencing them -- has been worth several points per game.

I hope like heck he stays healthy for the rest of this season and then decides to come back for 2013-14. There are not many center tandems in the nation better than Otule-Gardner. And those two seniors, who would have a combined 10 years of experience next season, would be rocks for a team that will have five newcomers.

By now, I like to think there isn't a single MU fan who believes the team somehow would be better off without Chris Otule next season. If there is, I'd love to hear the explanation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
It's been very exciting to see his defense and touch around the hoop progress.   

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Otule was outstanding yesterday.  Next time you see Davante next to Chris, you then realize how big he really is.  Otule next year makes MU a Top 10 team if Duane Wilson or John
Dawson can play as good as Cadougan.  The rest of the team is going to be better.  Otule, Taylor, Wilson, Anderson up front with Gardner, Mayo, Blue, Johnson, and McKay, that is
11 deep and I did add Burton.  That leaves 2 players not included in the mix.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
If Otule stays...who goes?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
Jake's scholarship goes bye-bye.

With 5 newcomers, I believe that leaves us one over if Otule comes back.

History has shown that this kind of thing usually takes care of itself. Maybe Vander gets bad advice and goes pro. Maybe Mayo thinks he can find greener pastures elsewhere. Maybe somebody (Jamal Ferguson?) is "encouraged" to transfer. Maybe one of the newcomers decides to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

Too many variables to know right now. The only thing I know for sure is that we have been pining for good big men for a decade ... and now that we have two of them, we should keep it that way for 2013-14 if Otule wants to return.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
Jake's scholarship goes bye-bye.

With 5 newcomers, I believe that leaves us one over if Otule comes back.

History has shown that this kind of thing usually takes care of itself. Maybe Vander gets bad advice and goes pro. Maybe Mayo thinks he can find greener pastures elsewhere. Maybe somebody (Jamal Ferguson?) is "encouraged" to transfer. Maybe one of the newcomers decides to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

Too many variables to know right now. The only thing I know for sure is that we have been pining for good big men for a decade ... and now that we have two of them, we should keep it that way for 2013-14 if Otule wants to return.

I think Otule gets right of first refusal on this. After all, if Mbakwe can hang around CBB for 12 years then Otule should get another.

Death on call

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »
With all the ACL talk surrounding all the athletes over the past year, what he has done has been amazing.  December 6, 2011 Otule tore his ACL.  He was back in under a year, and is making an impact in games.  His aggressiveness has been awesome.  Adding some shotblocking. Just keeps looking better.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »
P.S. Let's stop the talk that Otule is going to "move on" next year.  And do what?  Start selling insurance?  All scenarios make MU a worse team without him next year and if he has a chance to play another year, absolutely take it with hesitation.

Chris really is playing well.  Its sad to think what might have been had he not gotten hurt last year.  Possible BE Regular season Champ, possible #1 seed.
However, Chris is not going to be selling insurance.  He can play in Europe and make decent money.  So given its unlikely he'd make it in the NBA regardless of how long he stays and he has his degree why stay broke in college when you make some money.  I suspect that the only thing that would keep him is if Buzz felt that they had the pieces to have a real shot at a national title.  That's a streach but that would be worth it.  Otherwise its really in his best interest in life to go on, make some money while he can and given someone else on the roster a shot.  
Having Chris next year makes MU better but its not transformational because you'd have DG and McKay anyway.  If one of the PGs comes in and is better than Junior is now, you add outside shooting and J Wilson has big senior year then you have the pieces.  

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
Chris really is playing well.  Its sad to think what might have been had he not gotten hurt last year.  Possible BE Regular season Champ, possible #1 seed.
However, Chris is not going to be selling insurance.  He can play in Europe and make decent money.  So given its unlikely he'd make it in the NBA regardless of how long he stays and he has his degree why stay broke in college when you make some money.  I suspect that the only thing that would keep him is if Buzz felt that they had the pieces to have a real shot at a national title.  That's a streach but that would be worth it.  Otherwise its really in his best interest in life to go on, make some money while he can and given someone else on the roster a shot.  
Having Chris next year makes MU better but its not transformational because you'd have DG and McKay anyway.  If one of the PGs comes in and is better than Junior is now, you add outside shooting and J Wilson has big senior year then you have the pieces.  

Or maybe Otule just loves Marquette, loves the relatively care-free college life, loves the idea of getting an advanced degree for free, loves the sense of "family" here and realizes that European dollars will still be there a year later.

Either way, I would applaud his decision.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »
Or maybe Otule just loves Marquette, loves the relatively care-free college life, loves the idea of getting an advanced degree for free, loves the sense of "family" here and realizes that European dollars will still be there a year later.

If The Lanche and Lenny's are still open he stays. It is problematic otherwise.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
I, too, am pleased with how he is playing.    This is a pleasant change to those who just looked at stats and said we were better off without him last year.   No way.    Just having that presence out there changes the game.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

This is kind of how I feel about Otule.  For all that he has been through the last 5 years and the relatively low minutes he has played, he has got to love Marquette.  Never seems to have a bad attitude and has obviously been working his tail off to rehab back to where he is now from his injury.  Many other guys would have thrown in the towel at this point.  Big respect for Chris.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »

He could find a job playing professionally tomorrow. Dwight Burke played professionally for many years.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
He could find a job playing professionally tomorrow. Dwight Burke played professionally for many years.

How many years will he get?  He has yet be able to string together 2 injury free seasons.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Buzz said on his radio show a few weeks ago he would love to have Otule back but the decision is his.  That settles that half of the equation.  I've heard Otule say nothing on his side, unless I missed something.

The only place their is talk of him not coming back is this board ... The place that gets things specatularly wrong like Hiroshima, not making the Tourney after the UWGB loss and Buzz cannot recruit The state of Wisconsin.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
How many years will he get?  He has yet be able to string together 2 injury free seasons.

I'm sure he's thinking the same thing, he's already 23. If he comes back he'll be nearly 25 before earning a paycheck, and risk further injury a sixth year. I don't know what kind of money is available but if he can make six figures, tax free, that would be hard to turn down.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:35:35 AM by esotericmindguy »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
Buzz said on his radio show a few weeks ago he would love to have Otule back but the decision is his.  That settles that half of the equation.  I've heard Otule say nothing on his side, unless I missed something.

The only place their is talk of him not coming back is this board ... The place that gets things specatularly wrong like Hiroshima, not making the Tourney after the UWGB loss and Buzz cannot recruit The state of Wisconsin.

Where was this discussion?

Regarding Otule, he is ably doing what he can. I'm just happy some of the people on here have finally stopped the "upper echelon center" bullcrap. I don't think he comes back but no issues if he does.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:17:27 AM by The Golden Avalanche »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
I think if Chris finishes this season without injury, he should go for the highest offer to play basketball for money.  Why risk playing a 6th year in college for no money with the chance of injury.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
I know the general manager of the Nyon Switzerland team.  Karon Bradley plays for them this year.  They pay 3k/month and income is double taxed unless you give up your US citizenship.  All players in that league get the same money.  The pay them monthly so a higher league can easily buy them out.

Otule might be at a higher level but not much more than that.  100k a year would be if Otule was a marginal NBA player, which he is not.

So pass on a 6th year, clear maybe 30k or 40k after expenses.  Be miserable living in a different culture and then come back to the US to sell insurance?  Bad deal.

Play a sixth year at MU, get an advanced degree and start the rest of your life. Better deal.  See joe Fulce.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Chris is playing very well lately. Buzz says he's dominating in practices and it's showing up in games. Next year? Whatever he decides. Love to have him, understand if he wants to move on.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
No doubt he should go play for pay. Life is short and I hope he goes and makes some good money. Appears to be good kid and hard worker. Either way I hope the he finds success in life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
No doubt he should go play for pay. Life is short and I hope he goes and makes some good money. Appears to be good kid and hard worker. Either way I hope the he finds success in life.

He should do what he wants to do.

He also should do lots of research to see if "play for pay" in his case means a decent living or a substandard one. Lots and lots of overseas pros make nowhere near six figures.

Like you, I wish him nothing but success.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »
MU82

Tax free money if living overseas. Making 80K with living expenses covered and no taxes is not a bad deal for young guy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
MU82

Tax free money if living overseas. Making 80K with living expenses covered and no taxes is not a bad deal for young guy.

Not too many recent Marquette grads making $80K per year.  A lot of them are back living with their parents and working at what used to be their summer job.  And Chris won't have any student loans to pay off.
Have some patience, FFS.