Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Crean's message to MU  (Read 10415 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Tom Crean's message to MU
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
I really hope not, but it's inevitable. It's too bad because he is a major part of bringing respect back to the program.
Son tells me he gets booed at every game during the legends video, so.....chances are they probably will.
Goal is National Championship

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
Jump right in front of the bullets.  We all know you will.

If someone attacked Buzz's kids and wife, I would do the same.  Totally classless.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »
I thought it was a very nice message. He really tried to highlight how special that group was and showed he enjoyed the memories of Marquette.

Unfortunately the IU backdrop will be the first thing people see and I think there will be boos. Would it have been tough to film that in his office? Is it a contract thing that he'd have to have IU in the background? Maybe logistically he didn't have much of a choice, just think it looks kind of bad.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
These undergrads were not around when Crean left.  Thats ancient history to them.  Now, 4everwarriors might be leading the boos... :P

Then why do the current students boo him when he comes on the big screen during intros? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
Thank you, Coach Crean, for your kind words. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
Luckily MU made him redo his first video that ended, "thanks for letting me lead Marquette to greatness for you fine folks. I really appreciate it. The history of Marquette isn't like here at Indiana, but I was able to help provide some great years for the fans and get great jobs for my players. It's Indiana, it's Indiana!!!"

The Indiana backdrop was unnecessary (at least it didn't say Crean & Crimson?) & there will be some booing at the BC. (I wouldn't boo if I were there, but I expect it to occur.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
If someone attacked Buzz's kids and wife, I would do the same.  Totally classless.

My point is that they will always do it whether or not you come to his defense on the internet.

I was just pointing out the futility... and the fact that it really just sets the thread on fire. :)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
Then why do the current students boo him when he comes on the big screen during intros? 

Because they're sheep.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
Because they're sheep.
Actually most know how he left!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »

Then most should also know he went to a better school, better program and let us in tremendous shape, including giving the students something to cheer for which we haven't had in 30 years.  Or are they only selectively knowing?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Chico's most know that also. Not that he left but the way he left....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

The incredulity in his voice as he disdainfully dismissed the question by answering with those four hateful words,

"It's Indiana, It's Indiana!"

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
S h I t  faced for sure as he read that.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
He is the coach at Indiana now...if he wore a MU sweatshirt you would be angry. If he stood in front of the Vatican you would be angry.  It doesn't matter, but since he's the IU coach and they filmed it at IU in their media room, yeah, it's going to have an IU background. 

Listen to what he said about the accomplishment, it was nice, etc.  What was "not classy" about his words?

"We"...was he not the head coach of the team and brought those players in?  Why wouldn't it be "we" in that context...makes no sense at all why you go there.  He was part of the team, of course he is going to use we.  Last I checked, that team is in the MU Hall of Fame and he is on the plaque like everyone else.  When Al McGuire spoke at the 20th anniversary of the 77 Championship he used "We" all the time, as he should have.

I'm not angry. I think he is a clown and I treat him as such.

When he fled to Indiana in a classless manner, he no longer kept the privilege of considering himself a current part of Marquette. So he loses the ability to say "we" as he is no longer part of our collective.

As he demonstrated, he has a loose grasp on extemporaneous speaking, so i should t be too surprised.

Tom Crean is a tool. He's exactly what he appears to be.

You don't like my opinion? Too unnatural carnal knowledgeing bad. Deal with it. Like a lot of people here I'm tired of your sanctimonious judgment. If I don't like someone who, in my humble opinion, dishonored my alma mater and me that's my choice. I have my rea$on$ to dislike him. Stay out of it.
We Are Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

Chicos we don't know Buzz or his kids because they stay out of the limelight. Crean opens his son up to criticism when he pulls stunts like giving the kid all the awards at his basketball camp or forcing staff to take an hour out of a work day to celebrate a 3 year old's birthday. Hell, he didn't even have enough cake for those forced to participate so they got the rare privilege of watching the Creans shovel cake down their gullets. There are scenes in Schindler's List and films centered on Japanese POW Camps where inmates are forced to participate in faux celebrations. That is the mental image I have of the forced fun birthday for young Ryan or Tyler or whatever the kid's name Crean. Might not be the kid's fault but he sure as hell is getting a very skewed perspective on life. That kid is going to be a major piece of modern art work when he grows up.

I cannot in any way imagine any superior in my personal experience bringing their infant child to work and forcing a department to celebrate the "milestone." Gary Wendt at GE Cap would have you fired for such stupidity as you clearly have compromised your ability to lead going forward. And forget about any Air Force officer doing that. It is simply unimaginable.

Death on call

Norm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
Yeah, it must really suck to have to help a 3 year old celebrate his birthday. I mean, an hour away from your regular duties to make a 3 year old feel good. I bet they sang happy birthday through clenched teeth out of bitterness toward their boss for forcing them to go to a 3 year old birthday party. Oh, the humanity!!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 03:45:52 PM »
Yeah, it must really suck to have to help a 3 year old celebrate his birthday. I mean, an hour away from your regular duties to make a 3 year old feel good. I bet they sang happy birthday through clenched teeth out of bitterness toward their boss for forcing them to go to a 3 year old birthday party. Oh, the humanity!!

No, it's weird. And when you step back and look at the pattern of behavior it's creepy.

But don't take my word for it. Someone who was there said it was creepy.

Death on call

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
Chicos we don't know Buzz or his kids because they stay out of the limelight. Crean opens his son up to criticism when he pulls stunts like giving the kid all the awards at his basketball camp or forcing staff to take an hour out of a work day to celebrate a 3 year old's birthday. Hell, he didn't even have enough cake for those forced to participate so they got the rare privilege of watching the Creans shovel cake down their gullets. There are scenes in Schindler's List and films centered on Japanese POW Camps where inmates are forced to participate in faux celebrations. That is the mental image I have of the forced fun birthday for young Ryan or Tyler or whatever the kid's name Crean. Might not be the kid's fault but he sure as hell is getting a very skewed perspective on life. That kid is going to be a major piece of modern art work when he grows up.

I cannot in any way imagine any superior in my personal experience bringing their infant child to work and forcing a department to celebrate the "milestone." Gary Wendt at GE Cap would have you fired for such stupidity as you clearly have compromised your ability to lead going forward. And forget about any Air Force officer doing that. It is simply unimaginable.

Trying to compare the workplace environment at a financial services corporation and a university athletic department is like comparing sports to military service...

Oh wait.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
like comparing sports to military service...

You obviously have never read anything about Vince Lombardi, Coach K, Bobby Knight, et al

Metaphors are based on a correspondence of two different concepts. Understanding and expressing one concept in terms of the other, metaphors achieve a cross-mapping from a source domain such as the military where leadership, strife, valor, and conquest are inherent to a target domain such as sports where those characteristics or qualities are desired by a simultaneous activation of the two domains involved. Metaphors often build a bridge from the known to the unknown, from the familiar to the unfamiliar. They help us understand and interact with phenomena which otherwise would be too abstract and too complex. It is therefore not surprising that in talking and writing about sports leadership military metaphors are widely used.

Death on call

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 04:51:28 PM »
You weren't using a metaphor when you talked about GE. You were saying that If that happened at GE, that would be frowned upon. This is an argument through analogy. GE is similar to MU athletics. That celebration would be inappropriate at GE. Therefore that celebration is inappropriate at MU Athletics. Your first premise is faulty.

I know what a metaphor is. You did not use one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:58:05 PM by akmarq »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
You weren't using a metaphor when you talked about GE. You were saying that If that happened at GE, that would be frowned upon. This is an argument through analogy. GE is similar to MU athletics. That celebration would be inappropriate at GE. Therefore that celebration is inappropriate at MU Athletics. Your first premise is faulty.

I know what a metaphor is. You did not use one.

That is not what I was referencing. It was this statement by you, which I quoted:  "like comparing sports to military service..."

You may know what I metaphor is but that is not what I was speaking of...

Death on call

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
Riley Crean.  Pure trouble.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
That is not what I was referencing. It was this statement by you, which I quoted:  "like comparing sports to military service..."

You may know what I metaphor is but that is not what I was speaking of...

Alright. Fair enough. I just think the birthday party grudge is a little silly and it's a very big leap to use GE capital as an example to back up your point when someone disagrees with your assessment of the party.

Writing that sentence made me hate the internet.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I can't stand this guy, but there's nothing wrong AT ALL with this! Jesus...some dumb bastard stopped and asked him to record this and he did a good job. Who cares where he's standing?

Btw, the birthday party story is an outrage...almost as bad as the summer camp thing

connie

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
Yawn....   Getting old this Crean bashing.. Acknowledge a classy attempt and move on
Agreed.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

feedback