Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The curious case of DG  (Read 4816 times)

icheights

• Starter
Re: The curious case of DG
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »
Why does Gardner not take more 12 foot jumpers?  I think instead of accusing the rest of the team of bad spacing and that being why DG isn't scoring as much why don't we look at the spacing he could provide if he can hit a 12 foot jumpshot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
Why does Gardner not take more 12 foot jumpers?  I think instead of accusing the rest of the team of bad spacing and that being why DG isn't scoring as much why don't we look at the spacing he could provide if he can hit a 12 foot jumpshot.

This is a valid point. A couple of games ago, Davante caught the ball just over the free-throw line and when nobody guarded him, he basically shrugged and took a 17-foot set shot. Swish. He should do that more if left wide open outside the lane. Aside perhaps from Jamil, he has the best stroke on the entire team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
This is a valid point. A couple of games ago, Davante caught the ball just over the free-throw line and when nobody guarded him, he basically shrugged and took a 17-foot set shot. Swish. He should do that more if left wide open outside the lane. Aside perhaps from Jamil, he has the best stroke on the entire team.

I don't know if the coaches encourage him to shoot that shot or not.

I know a lot of people were convinced in the off season that Gardner could be some sort of pick and roll/pop type of player because he hits shots in the summer league.

Truth is, I don't know if Buzz wants him shooting those shots. Plus, I haven't seen MU run much traditional pick and roll.

With this said, I would like to see Gardner develop a reverse pivot jumper that he could use off of the block. He'll never be Ewing, but a little reverse pivot jumper would prevent defenses from automatically doubling from the weakside overplaying his righthanded hook.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
I don't know if the coaches encourage him to shoot that shot or not.

I know a lot of people were convinced in the off season that Gardner could be some sort of pick and roll/pop type of player because he hits shots in the summer league.

Truth is, I don't know if Buzz wants him shooting those shots. Plus, I haven't seen MU run much traditional pick and roll.

With this said, I would like to see Gardner develop a reverse pivot jumper that he could use off of the block. He'll never be Ewing, but a little reverse pivot jumper would prevent defenses from automatically doubling from the weakside overplaying his righthanded hook.

I wasn't so much talking about running plays that result in him shooting jumpers. I was talking about the scenarios in which he catches the ball 10, 12, 15, 17 feet from the hoop and the opposing center is sagging so far down Davante finds himself so unguarded he has time to measure it and take his set shot.

I'm not sure there's another player on the team I'd rather take a wide-open 15-footer. I'd guess Buzz would feel the same way, given that Davante is by far the team's best shooter on the 15-footer known as a free throw.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
 Plus, I haven't seen MU run much traditional pick and roll.

Yeah, probably not since Jimmy Mac.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback