'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 01:06:27 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND reaches out to C7  (Read 9212 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: ND reaches out to C7
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
In a couple years we may be welcoming Duke into our new conference. You heard it here first.

Sorry Rican but Len Elmore said it last weekend. The Turtle thinks Pitt, Cuse, UND, BC, Wake, and Duke fold into the new conference. I would not object. He spoke of how KU should have joined the B1G and that he thinks that might yet happen.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
The difference is that the new ACC wouldnt have partial members like the BE. And if all of the power conferences get to 16, then there is no where for these schools to go. It's essentially the best of the rest for fball and prob the best ball conference.

We don't know what the new conference will look like once the poaching starts.  If Duke and UNC leave as a package, it might not be better than the C7.

Look at the ACC this year, after Duke it's not very good this year for a power conference.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 06:53:23 AM »
I don't see us ever taking any football schools. I don't want Duke or any of them. Even if the Big Teen takes Virginia and UNC, and the SEC decides to also go to 16 with NC State and Virginia Tech, and the Big 12 takes FSU and Clemson, they'll still find replacements. They already have Louisville, so is it that far of a step down to take Temple and Memphis, along with UConn and Cincy? That would leave the ACC with 14 if my math is right. I don't see that being a problem for them at all.

The ACC is not going to fold. There are still enough dominoes on the table they can pick up if a few of their current ones fall. It's all a pipe dream, and considering these schools have football programs, which have been the biggest thorn in our side these past 8 years, it's not even an attractive pipe dream.

Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Georgia Tech, UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, whoever is left is not worth it. I don't want any of them if it means they have a football program, and when you consider the raw dollars football has the potential to bring in, none of these established schools will drop football any time soon. And by soon, I mean ever. Screw them all. We do NOT need football schools ever.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 06:53:55 AM »
Seriously, I would rather have UW-Milwaukee than Duke. I'd rather have Colgate than Duke. No football. None.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »
Hoping for Duke, Syracuse, and Pitt to join up is like having a nightmare of being back in speech class in college, only you're naked in front of the entire class, and when you forget your speech, the class turns into a pit and the students all turn into spiders and snakes and surround you and devour you, and just as they chew off all your flesh, a hole opens in the bottom of the pit, and you're falling, and falling, and falling, and then suddenly wake up in a cold sweat, turn to your wife, wake her up, tell her about the nightmare, and say "Boy, I really, really hope that happens!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »
Hoping for Duke, Syracuse, and Pitt to join up is like having a nightmare of being back in speech class in college, only you're naked in front of the entire class, and when you forget your speech, the class turns into a pit and the students all turn into spiders and snakes and surround you and devour you, and just as they chew off all your flesh, a hole opens in the bottom of the pit, and you're falling, and falling, and falling, and then suddenly wake up in a cold sweat, turn to your wife, wake her up, tell her about the nightmare, and say "Boy, I really, really hope that happens!"

TMI

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »
UNC and Duke are the ACC. If one goes, the other will follow or they're going together. Too much money to lose being in different conferences.

That is simply not true.  UNC is closer tied to NC State than Duke.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
In a couple years we may be welcoming Duke into our new conference. You heard it here first.

I've heard it elsewhere...and they were wrong too.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »

That is simply not true.  UNC is closer tied to NC State than Duke.

I agree.  People that think UNC and Duke are a package deal are wrong.  If NC State finds a nice home in the SEC and UNC ends up in the Big Teen, they'd both be happy and kiss Duke and Wake good-bye.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
We don't know what the new conference will look like once the poaching starts.  If Duke and UNC leave as a package, it might not be better than the C7.

LOL. You dont know what you are talking about. And btw, I think it was your first post in this thread in which you suggested that Duke would still be in the ACC. Feel free to re-arrange the furniture to fit your argument...or at least try.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »

I've had that dream, too!   I'm usually naked.......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
Seriously, I would rather have UW-Milwaukee than Duke. I'd rather have Colgate than Duke. No football. None.

Well that's just stupid.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

All things being equal - no football. All things being slightly less than equal (as is the case now) - no football. But going low major rather than partnering with football? I'd rather see us drop the sport entirely. Seriously.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

I've heard it elsewhere...and they were wrong too.

I would have thought that after Pearl Harbor people wouldn't be so prone to dismiss contrary opinions as radio static.

Way to go baby boomers.... it took you less than a generation to forget the lessons your parents taught.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

That is some serious schitt right there.  Conjors up some bad entertainment memories.   ;D

http://youtu.be/jGJVA6pKWpw

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
I would have thought that after Pearl Harbor people wouldn't be so prone to dismiss contrary opinions as radio static.

Way to go baby boomers.... it took you less than a generation to forget the lessons your parents taught.

Uh...I'm not a baby boomer.  And Duke isn't joining the C7.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
LOL. You dont know what you are talking about. And btw, I think it was your first post in this thread in which you suggested that Duke would still be in the ACC. Feel free to re-arrange the furniture to fit your argument...or at least try.

Of course I don't know what ACC poaching/realignment will look like.  Neither do you.  The first post was just examples of what is being tossed around.

Fact is the ACC is vulnerable because they make less money than the other major football conferences.  So, it is reasonable to expect them to be poached.

And when/if it starts, no one can assume they know how it will end (and assume it will be the best basketball conference.). Poaching is never good and it makes conferences worse.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
Cmon people...

OK, let's jut say the ACC faces a worst case scenario - two teams to the Big Ten (UNC, UVa), SEC (NC State, VPI) and Big 12 (Clemson, Florida State) each.  They are left with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Miami.

Even if this happens, none of the above will join the C7.  Neither would ND.  They likely add UConn, Cincy, Temple, or some such and get to 12 teams.

Furthermore, I put the odds on this "nightmare scenario" occurring at less than 10%.  Why do you think the B12 is going to petition the NCAA to have a football championship game even though they only have 10 members?  Its either because they can't find someone to invite, or can't find someone worthy of an invite.  Either way it means they are likely staying at 10 because they have no reason to expand.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Duke and UNC are a package deal and would never change conferences without the other.

Just like...

Georgetown and Syracuse.

Texas and Texas A&M.

Missouri and Kansas.

West Virginia and Pittsburgh.

Utah and BYU.

etc. etc. etc.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
Duke and UNC are a package deal and would never change conferences without the other.

Just like...

Georgetown and Syracuse.

Texas and Texas A&M.

Missouri and Kansas.

West Virginia and Pittsburgh.

Utah and BYU.

etc. etc. etc.

Please, there is no place for logic here. What are you going to say next? ...That two teams that share the exact same market are undesirable?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »

UW-Milwaukee than Duke     No. You wouldn't

Colgate      Holy Marv Hubbard! Colgate has a football team! They won the Patriot League last year and have sent a bunch of guys to The Show.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 12:21:43 PM »

Not all are so closed minded. Just some. That guy is always right, didn't you know?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »
All things being equal - no football. All things being slightly less than equal (as is the case now) - no football. But going low major rather than partnering with football? I'd rather see us drop the sport entirely. Seriously.

One of life's Proven Truisms: It's better to stay home than take an ugly girl to the Prom.

The Tap Man is correct: It would be better to drop BB than partner with UWM.

Death on call

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
Cmon people...

OK, let's jut say the ACC faces a worst case scenario - two teams to the Big Ten (UNC, UVa), SEC (NC State, VPI) and Big 12 (Clemson, Florida State) each.  They are left with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Miami.

Even if this happens, none of the above will join the C7.  Neither would ND.  They likely add UConn, Cincy, Temple, or some such and get to 12 teams.

Furthermore, I put the odds on this "nightmare scenario" occurring at less than 10%.  Why do you think the B12 is going to petition the NCAA to have a football championship game even though they only have 10 members?  Its either because they can't find someone to invite, or can't find someone worthy of an invite.  Either way it means they are likely staying at 10 because they have no reason to expand.

Other conferences have petitioned, and the other conferences would be pretty pissed if the Big 12 was allowed a Championship game at 10.

I think the main theory around ND rests on the ACC being picked apart and not being one of the 4 major conferences that get a preferred status for the playoff system. So joining a sub-par conference and having to play 5 of their crappy teams (ESPN is trying to make it 6) would get let and less palatable.

ND prefers its independence. It gives them power in scheduling and to play a national schedule. But how independent would they be and how attractive are those games if they have to play UConn, Temple, USF, UCF, Pitt, BC? Sure 2 or 3 of those would be fine. but 5 or 6? I also think they view the C7 as their "out" to never having to play the conference game again, and is helps secure their independence forever. They would become the the football team for an entire conference essentially, and secure the league's status as major. I think its entirely possible and you can bet Notre Dame is taking a look.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Sure 2 or 3 of those would be fine. but 5 or 6? I also think they view the C7 as their "out" to never having to play the conference game again, and is helps secure their independence forever.

Except Swarbrick stated that the reason for joining the ACC was simpy because it was becoming more and more difficult to schedule as an independent. If its tough to do now, it will be even more difficult in the future as the B1G announced they are going to move to 10 conference games.