Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND reaches out to C7  (Read 9165 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: ND reaches out to C7
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
Except Swarbrick stated that the reason for joining the ACC was simpy because it was becoming more and more difficult to schedule as an independent. If its tough to do now, it will be even more difficult in the future as the B1G announced they are going to move to 10 conference games.

Well it's not announced, just speculated they could move to 9 or 10 games. But this is Notre Dame. Michigan and MSU will still make it happen. Texas and USC will still want to play. BC and Pitt? Yep. Miami and Oklahoma? Sure. It's harder, but it's Notre Dame and teams will continue to want to play them.

Also, if the B1G moves to 10 games, I think expanding the whole college football season isn't far behind.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Well it's not announced, just speculated they could move to 9 or 10 games. But this is Notre Dame. Michigan and MSU will still make it happen. Texas and USC will still want to play. BC and Pitt? Yep. Miami and Oklahoma? Sure. It's harder, but it's Notre Dame and teams will continue to want to play them.

Also, if the B1G moves to 10 games, I think expanding the whole college football season isn't far behind.

ND isnt renewing Michigan... They are playing the remainder of what is scheduled. Do you follow football at all?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
Which goes till 2017. Yeah, no, they're never playing each other again. ::)
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
ND also has "preferred access" to ACC bowls...and that isn't going to change.  From a football perspective, this "nightmare scenario" ACC is better than the BE of just a few years ago.  Notre Dame isn't going to look at the C7 as long as it can find a conference that will allow its football program to be independent, yet have scheduling ties with its members.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:19:11 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
I've had that dream, too!   I'm usually naked.......

Peyote can be your best friend or your worst enemy

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
Other conferences have petitioned, and the other conferences would be pretty pissed if the Big 12 was allowed a Championship game at 10.

I think the main theory around ND rests on the ACC being picked apart and not being one of the 4 major conferences that get a preferred status for the playoff system. So joining a sub-par conference and having to play 5 of their crappy teams (ESPN is trying to make it 6) would get let and less palatable.

ND prefers its independence. It gives them power in scheduling and to play a national schedule. But how independent would they be and how attractive are those games if they have to play UConn, Temple, USF, UCF, Pitt, BC? Sure 2 or 3 of those would be fine. but 5 or 6? I also think they view the C7 as their "out" to never having to play the conference game again, and is helps secure their independence forever. They would become the the football team for an entire conference essentially, and secure the league's status as major. I think its entirely possible and you can bet Notre Dame is taking a look.

Well said.

Death on call

feedback