Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue is missing something  (Read 11795 times)

Sunbelt15

• All American
Blue is missing something
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
With the maturity I've seen in Vander Blue over the years and considering the 30 point game, I still have a hard time picturing him as a NBA caliber player. I know he has a year to go and, as of now, he and Gardner has the most potential. But, something is missing in his game that could push him over the top, and I just can't put my finger on it. We saw it in Jae C. his junior year, but its missing in Blue. What is it?

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Blue is missing something
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
Dreadlocks?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
He can't handle well enough to play the point, isn't consistent enough to be a knock down shooter, and is too small to attack the basket.

If he can continue to develop his mid-range game, and get better with the ball in his hands, he *could* stick on an NBA team.  But in the end I think he is simply too small a la Jerel McNeal.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
With the maturity I've seen in Vander Blue over the years and considering the 30 point game, I still have a hard time picturing him as a NBA caliber player. I know he has a year to go and, as of now, he and Gardner has the most potential. But, something is missing in his game that could push him over the top, and I just can't put my finger on it. We saw it in Jae C. his junior year, but its missing in Blue. What is it?

A jetpack. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:31:59 AM »
It is awesome that a 30 pt game brings out so many people calling out Vander. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
About 3-4 inches.
Vander Blue's game at 6'7" translates to the NBA well.
At 6'3"ish, probably not.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
I think he needs to add 20 pounds to his frame so he is not bounced around going to hoop.  Secondly, if he keeps in improving his shooting he has a chance.  Freakish athlete who can
go to the hoop using his left or right.  Last year we would all agree he had no chance, now the door is opening slightly.  Lets see how he plays on the road, I think he was horrible at
GB.  If he scores 15-20 against Louie I would be impressed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »
I dunno. Seems to me he just strapped it on last game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
As others have said, needs to keep improving his jumper and handle.   Right now he's a middle-class man's Jerel.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
Guys in NBA obviously see things differently than we do. If VB is considering going pro someone has to be telling him what the big boys think. That does not make him a sure fire pro by any means but because guys on here think he cannot make it really means nothing.

If someone would have told me Chris Crawford would have had the career he had I would have taken any bet on that. Athleticism and speed goes a long way, plus he has good basketball frame to grown into.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Stone Cold

A middle class Jerel? Come on!!

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
fans that appreciate him?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
Stone Cold

A middle class Jerel? Come on!!

???  What's the problem with that comparison?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Madtown

+1

I think he is exciting as hell to watch. Frustrating less and exciting more.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »

I think no one is being disrespectful of him or what he brings to the table for MU right now.  The question on how his game translates to the next level is a good one.  I mean, being compared to McNeal is not an insult by any means.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 11:06:54 AM »
Sultan

VB's D is vastly better, better rebounder and doing things his Jr. year Jerel did his Sr. year. Jerel was a cheat on D and VB is lockdown defender. Also, Jerel upside was hit and VB has plenty in the tank. In certain regard he reminds of Doc Rivers in that his best days were after MU. Doc was good college player but better pro.

Dunk The Ball Eric

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
Guys in NBA obviously see things differently than we do. If VB is considering going pro someone has to be telling him what the big boys think. That does not make him a sure fire pro by any means but because guys on here think he cannot make it really means nothing.

I think Goose hit it on the head. Our opinions mean nothing. Vander is definitely on NBA radars. This was what David Thorpe had to say after last year's game vs Washington

"Vander Blue, G

School/Class: Marquette, sophomore
Line score: 11 points (5-9 FGM-A) 1-1 (FTs), 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal
Top 100 draft ranking: 74

Game play: This kid is really fast with the ball or on a dead sprint. Has great quickness, too. Blue looks like he's a combo guard with some passing talent. He made a number of nice touch passes and frequent skip or diagonal passes against a zone defense.

I liked his overall court awareness. He knew when to use his athletic gifts and when to slow down. And he always knew where his teammates were. He handled the point guard duties well, though he had few chances to earn an assist. What he did do was move the ball well. He showed me enough to think he might be able to play full-time point guard in the NBA, in part because he did not force shots.

Basketball tools: Blue is a smooth dribbler with a nice perimeter shot. He mixed up his driving speeds well. He looked like he enjoyed playing defense and was up for the challenge of guarding Washington's talented guards without fouling.

Physical aptitude/comparables: Built like Raja Bell, Blue is totally proportional (as opposed to so many freakishly long athletes) but plays with more athleticism than Bell ever did. Blue is able to play with burst, but he's normally very smooth while still moving quickly."

It's interesting that the other players he highlighted were all drafted (Ross and Wroten from Wash and DJO) while he made no mention on Jae who has probably been the best pro so far out of anyone in that game and hit the game winning shot. All it takes is 1 GM to like him. Do I think he should come out this year, no, but when he does he has a good chance of being drafted.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »
Sultan

VB's D is vastly better, better rebounder and doing things his Jr. year Jerel did his Sr. year. Jerel was a cheat on D and VB is lockdown defender. Also, Jerel upside was hit and VB has plenty in the tank. In certain regard he reminds of Doc Rivers in that his best days were after MU. Doc was good college player but better pro.

Note the bolded part. "Right now he's a middle-class man's Jerel." He has a higher ceiling but we don't know if he's going to reach it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
Wesley, Lazar, JFB, and Jae had little to no chance - until they did. Dominic James was thought to be an NBA player from very early in his MU career - until he wasn't.

Watching his improvement, I wouldn't bet against Vander.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Sultan

Value add puts Jerel as the #12 player all time at Marquette.  VB is not at that level.  He might be a better pro, but I don't view that comparison as an insult by any stretch.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »
Going into this season, I thought the idea of Blue in the NBA was insane, and said so in several threads.  

He is exponentially better this season so that such talk is no longer insane.  The biggest thing he has done is develop a shooting touch on his drives.  I am frankly stunned and how often he makes shots off of the drive now when in the same situation the last two seasons he'd pick up a charge or brick a liner off the bottom of the rim.  He's always had the requisite athleticism.

That said, he's still got work to do.  He doesn't have the handle to play PG in the NBA, and he is not big enough to be a lock down defender except against a subset of SGs, so he is going to have to be a scorer.  So the next step in his development has to become a consistent shooter without sacrificing the other parts of his game.  Still a reach to project him as a meaningful contributer in the NBA, but now he's got a fighting chance.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
As others have said, needs to keep improving his jumper and handle.   Right now he's a middle-class man's Jerel.

Not sure what "a middle-class man's Jerel" means.

Statistically, Blue's junior season is very similar to McNeal's:

BLUE: 14.8 pt - 45.3% FG - 32.4% 3PT - 72.2% FT - 3.1 reb - 1.8 ast - 1.0 stl
MCNL: 14.9 pt - 45.6% FG - 30.4% 3PT - 70.2% FT - 4.9 reb - 3.5 ast - 2.2 stl

Jerel's teammates included James, Matthews and Hayward, so that's an advantage to his assists but also means he had to share the ball with more scorers. He was a better rebounder and got more steals than Blue. Their shooting and scoring is identical.

Of course, Vander's story his junior year is still being told. He is coming off a 30-point game and has averaged 17 since laying an egg (like most of the rest of the team) at Green Bay. The tougher part of the schedule begins Sunday, but it's not outrageous to think he can finish a point or two higher than junior Jerel did.

Jerel made a significant leap from his junior year to his senior year. Can Vander do the same? I see no reason why not.

I have absolutely no problem comparing Blue favorably to McNeal ... but maybe that's because I'm a "middle-class man"?

As for Blue's NBA chances, I'd rate them about the same as McNeal's at this point. In other words, not very good. Too short, not good enough handle, not good enough passer, not good enough shooter. Same as McNeal.

Doesn't mean he's not already a good college player with a chance to be outstanding.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

Four words. Best post here!
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
MU82

Difference is VB has been on NBA guys radar screen since high school and Jerel has never been on the radar screen. It comes down to eye test for NBA guys more than numbers.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
Not sure what "a middle-class man's Jerel" means.

Statistically, Blue's junior season is very similar to McNeal's:

BLUE: 14.8 pt - 45.3% FG - 32.4% 3PT - 72.2% FT - 3.1 reb - 1.8 ast - 1.0 stl
MCNL: 14.9 pt - 45.6% FG - 30.4% 3PT - 70.2% FT - 4.9 reb - 3.5 ast - 2.2 stl

Jerel's teammates included James, Matthews and Hayward, so that's an advantage to his assists but also means he had to share the ball with more scorers. He was a better rebounder and got more steals than Blue. Their shooting and scoring is identical.

Of course, Vander's story his junior year is still being told. He is coming off a 30-point game and has averaged 17 since laying an egg (like most of the rest of the team) at Green Bay. The tougher part of the schedule begins Sunday, but it's not outrageous to think he can finish a point or two higher than junior Jerel did.

Jerel made a significant leap from his junior year to his senior year. Can Vander do the same? I see no reason why not.

I have absolutely no problem comparing Blue favorably to McNeal ... but maybe that's because I'm a "middle-class man"?

As for Blue's NBA chances, I'd rate them about the same as McNeal's at this point. In other words, not very good. Too short, not good enough handle, not good enough passer, not good enough shooter. Same as McNeal.

Doesn't mean he's not already a good college player with a chance to be outstanding.

Yes, their junior year statlines are similar but look back at freshman and soph years to see why Blue is not quite at McNeal's level yet.

In terms of NBA potential, the major difference between Blue and McNeal is that Blue is at least 2" taller and much more athletic.

feedback