[Today at 11:44:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

NM by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 01:04:38 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Billy Hoyle
[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: student section chant  (Read 30192 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: student section chant
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 02:50:21 AM »
Golden
Warriors
*clap clap clap clap clap*'

Golden
Warriors
*clap clap clap clap clap*'
SS Marquette

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:41 AM »
I just think the student section needs more flair...make that flares.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcvAOpnnMK0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WcvAOpnnMK0</a>

Holy sh*t. We need a Marquette Haka/chant like this.  Jesus that'd be awesome.  Scoop... time to brainstorm what needs to be chanted/growled/screamed.  Why tell the opposing team we will win when we can tell them that they shouldn't through fear of the crowd attacking them. (Edit: in a non-providence player's brother sort of way)
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »
The Haka would be sweet to incorporate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnimvUMCAk

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
esard, setyoursightsnorth, and all the rest of you student fans:

Don't take the bait of these geezers.  You guys are doing a fine job. Their memories of the "good old days" may be a little impaired. Keep in mind that they have had quite a head start on you when it comes to killing brain cells.  I can promise you that in my day (the early '80's) there were no costumes, no dances, and no organized cheers other than "Let's go Warriors" .   We didn't even think to coordinate our T-shirt color (to be fair, though, some of my male contemporaries would not have wanted to take off their cool Members Only jackets, anyway).

And unless one of the posters here happens to be Jump Around Guy, you all are showing far more enthusiasm than any of the alumni present at the game.

Keep up the great work.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
"Early eighties" doesn't scream geezer to ya? Just sayin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »

Don't take the bait of these geezers.  You guys are doing a fine job. Their memories of the "good old days" may be a little impaired. Keep in mind that they have had quite a head start on you when it comes to killing brain cells.  I can promise you that in my day (the early '80's) there were no costumes, no dances, and no organized cheers other than "Let's go Warriors" .   We didn't even think to coordinate our T-shirt color (to be fair, though, some of my male contemporaries would not have wanted to take off their cool Members Only jackets, anyway).

And unless one of the posters here happens to be Jump Around Guy, you all are showing far more enthusiasm than any of the alumni present at the game.

Keep up the great work.

+1.

Threads ripping the student section get so tiring.  Yeah, a lot of them didn't come to the USF game.  MU has a huge student section for a school its size, and students have a lot of options.  MU is hardly the only school that faces issues with mid-week games against crap opponents.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
"Early eighties" doesn't scream geezer to ya? Just sayin'.

I didn't say I wasn't a geezer.  I was addressing the geezers who are dissing the student section.
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
+1.

Threads ripping the student section get so tiring.  Yeah, a lot of them didn't come to the USF game.  MU has a huge student section for a school its size, and students have a lot of options.  MU is hardly the only school that faces issues with mid-week games against crap opponents.

This. Exactly. If Monday's game was against Syracuse or Louisville, the place would have been packed. An 8pm weeknight game against USF isn't highly attractive to a lot of MU fans, not just students, FANS. My section was maybe 75% full which I didn't think was too bad of a turnout. The difference is that the student's have a "section" devoted to them so if there aren't as many students as usual it's much more obvious than if, say, fans age 30-35 don't show up since they're spread out around the entire arena.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »
I HATE the fact that Marquette stole another's school clever and unique chant/tradition. It's beyond lame. It reflects poorly on the university and the student body that we "use" another school's cleverness.

We can do better.

Reflects poorly on the University?  This might be going a little far.  When the students think of something unique that isn't stolen by another school, like cheering "Automatic" when their guy is shooting free throws, the alumni will still find reason to hate.

Also, very much liked the students chanting "Free Devante" (or something like that) after he was kicked out of the game.  It was well done.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
The other thing that should be recalled by the 'back in the day' crowd is that the MECCA held 11k.   The Bradley Center holds 18.   More people are showing up today than 30 years ago, the place just looks empty when there are 'only' 14-15k there.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
Hmmm.  Complaining about student section eh???

Team must be doing pretty good!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
I HATE the fact that Marquette stole another's school clever and unique chant/tradition. It's beyond lame. It reflects poorly on the university and the student body that we "use" another school's cleverness.

We can do better.

Well, get off your ass and do something about it then.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again... if you're going to imitate someone, you might as well imitate the best, and that would be Utah State, hands down.

The rest of you who insist on complaining, let's hear some ideas.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
I personally thought the "I Believe That We Will Win" chant is awesome, as long as it is done loud.  The very first time against G'Town was absolutely amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AF2ki9Y4rs

Also when watching the MU-UW game this year, the chant was extremely loud, difficult to hear the announcers at the beginning of the game.  Yeah, USU or SDSU started it, but we have rocked it.

On another note (and I'm really not too sure who started it first) but both PSU and G'Town (and I'm sure a few others) also do the "WE ARE ..." chant.  Does that mean we should get all up in arms when we chant that?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

Don't take the bait of these geezers.  You guys are doing a fine job. Their memories of the "good old days" may be a little impaired.

Don't paint with such broad strokes. I graduated 5 years ago.

Like I said, the ones who have showed up have been excellent. I'm just sick of horsesh*t excuses for the ones who don't, like "Monday just isn't a good day. We're too tired."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Don't paint with such broad strokes. I graduated 5 years ago.

Like I said, the ones who have showed up have been excellent. I'm just sick of horsesh*t excuses for the ones who don't, like "Monday just isn't a good day. We're too tired."

How about "Monday isn't a good day, I have a huge biochem test tomorrow"?
Have some patience, FFS.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
I personally thought the "I Believe That We Will Win" chant is awesome, as long as it is done loud.  The very first time against G'Town was absolutely amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AF2ki9Y4rs

Also when watching the MU-UW game this year, the chant was extremely loud, difficult to hear the announcers at the beginning of the game.  Yeah, USU or SDSU started it, but we have rocked it.

On another note (and I'm really not too sure who started it first) but both PSU and G'Town (and I'm sure a few others) also do the "WE ARE ..." chant.  Does that mean we should get all up in arms when we chant that?
I LOVE that video. It's just perfect that the score happened right away while the chant was still going. So, so good. I get goosebumps every time I watch that and it brings me back to that day, watching with the alumni out here in Denver. :D

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
How about "Monday isn't a good day, I have a huge biochem test tomorrow"?

Sure, wonderful. Personally, I made it work so I could go to the games as well. I realize that's the exception, not the rule. Totally fine.

The semester started two weeks ago. Don't think huge tests were the reason for Monday's crap turnout.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again... if you're going to imitate someone, you might as well imitate the best, and that would be Utah State, hands down.

Concur...any geezer have an issue with imitating this?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
So this board is basically made up of alumni and I am going to assume alumni that went to a majority of Marquette's bball games themselves.  Now, would students these days need to be "lame" and "steal" chants if my class, your class, any past class would have made our own?  No.  So by calling them lame, you are essentially admitting you too are lame because you didn't create anything yourself either.

crap, but wait, I forgot when you were in school Marquette's student section was originial and off the charts.

Huh? Did you really just make the argument that, "I think past generations of Marquette students were lame so its OK that we are lame too?" Wow.

You also missed my point that I have complete and total faith that ANY Marquette student body and the administration are capable of coming up with unique things on their own. I find the "We Believe" chant lame because I KNOW Marquette is capable of more/better. No reason we can't come up with some chants that are unique and not have to "borrow" other school's ideas. Marquette is well known for creative, unique uniforms. Georgia Tech stole our whole "game day atmosphere." We have a history of being uniquely creative.

I believe in Marquette and its capacity for greatness. You should too. Don't set your sights low, set them high. Expect more. Demand more. You know, Be The Difference.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »

I believe in Marquette and its capacity for greatness. You should too. Don't set your sights low, set them high. Expect more. Demand more. You know, Be The Difference.

CARPE DIEM!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

Sure. Here's one. Led by cheer squad. Involves the spelling of MARQUETTE.

First end of the BC (divided by center court) chants in unison: M - A - R
Second end of the BC immediately responds in unison: Q - U - E
First of the BC immediately replies in unison: T - T - E
Entire BC then chants in unison: Maaaar----queeeeete.

The chant involves the entire BC, generates some energy by having the two sides of the BC "divided" and you get one end trying to out do the other.

Obviously doesn't translate well in the written word. But done correctly would be very cool. Very simple chant that even us old geezer alumns can handle.

Second: More bats. Lots of bats. Plastic bats, flying bats, real bats. The Gold N Eagle in a Batman costume. Marquette's gothic architecture fits in perfectly with the Bat Theme, good national story that is fun and unique, etc.

Third: Stop chanting "Sucks" after other team's players are announced. Classless and also lame. I've always thought a sarcastic "Oooo" (like you're pretending to be scared by a 3rd grader) after the player's name was announced from the whole student section would be funny. Again, written word not good.

Good or not, I just came up with these ideas in a few minutes. Didn't even need to steal any of the ideas from a bunch of Mormons.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
Keep doing the "I believe" chant, but before next season if the Superfans still exist, have them put on a contest to come up with new wording.

Keep the cadence or something close.

Here's a start:

MAR- I
MARQUETTE- I BELIEVE
????
Profit

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »

Second: More bats. Lots of bats. Plastic bats, flying bats, real bats. The Gold N Eagle in a Batman costume. Marquette's gothic architecture fits in perfectly with the Bat Theme, good national story that is fun and unique, etc.

Here's a picture. Imagine Marquette Hall superimposed in the background and an MU logo on the Moon.

We Are Marquette

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Huh? Did you really just make the argument that, "I think past generations of Marquette students were lame so its OK that we are lame too?" Wow.

No that is not what I said at all.  What I said was is that students today "steal" chants (as you call it) because past generations did not exactly come up with their own unique ones to pass down.  So I was saying that since most of this board are alumni that attended a hefty amount of games, you cannot bash the student section for having "unoriginal" chants when your class did nothing original when they (you) had the chance.

The hypocrisy of some on this board when it comes to the student section is quite funny; between this original/unoriginal crap and the cries for the stopping of the chant "f**k the Badgers" when most of us as students did it ourselves.

feedback