Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUScoop diary: KC day 1 & 2  (Read 4511 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
MUScoop diary: KC day 1 & 2
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:52:06 AM »
As many of you probably know ('cuz we've been blabbing about it so much), Spiral97 and I are spending a few days in KC to catch some Marquette hoops for the first time this year, and figure out some plans and ideas for improving MUScoop.com.  I suppose there's a promotion aspect too, as we have some MUScoop.com t-shirts, and business cards (see them here)to hand out. 

We'll have some more thoughts posted tonight (with pictures hopefully), and then again tomorrow night.  Without further ado...here's the recap fo the first two days:

Day 1: Sat, Nov 18
The original plan for this day was to leisurely get up in the morning, and drive to KC (from CO for me, and TX for Spiral).  However, I guess our planning skills aren't that great, because we eventually realized that we'd both have to leave by 3am CST in order to get to KC in time to listen to the Marquette / EMU game on the 'net.  Also, we wanted to see the Michigan / OSU game.  So, after a VERY short night of sleep, we both made the 9ish hour drive to KC and arrived here around noon.  Since there was no time to head to a sports bar, we just camped out in the hotel room to listen to the MU game.  Side note: we logged onto MUScoop chat and there was only 5 or so users online - must have been the early afternoon game throwing things off.

After seeing the first half of the OSU game (seemed OSU had it in hand at that point), the need for food took over.  The hotel is downtown, and so we decided to wander around to see if anything could be had close.  We should have listened to all the posters that said downtown is dead.  In fact, it's like a ghost town on the weekends.  Yikes!  So back to the car to get some food and explore the city a bit.  First stop was the 39th St. entertainment district - got a sandwich at a place called "The Bronx" - good stuff (though it was nearly dinner at this time).   After that, we did a little more city exploration and got familiar with (though didn't stop at) the Westport area, Country Club Plaza, and City Market.  I know...lame not to stop for some fun on a Sat night, but the early morning and 9ish hour drive was taking it's toll. 

Day 2: Sun, Nov 19
Football day!  Got up late, and eventually made it to a sports bar in Leawood called 810Zone - affiliated with sports radio 810 WHB in KC.  A long way out of KC, but they had Wifi (this was a key), food, beer, and LOTS of TVs (spiral had to catch the Packer game...though not sure he would have missed not seeing it now).  Sat there all afternoon and worked on ideas to enhance MUScoop (this is partly a" business" trip), while enjoying the early & late games (how 'bout the coyboys taken down indy!?), and drinking several of the local Boulevard Brewing company ales. 

Man, we're sounding like lamo's now, but we came back to the hotel for the night game (my poor broncos), more beer (we've got quite the supply), and implementing several changes on the test site we've got for MUScoop.  Good things to come!  This is also when I realized that the College Basketball Hall of Fame was having some events on Sunday.  Not sure we would have had access to any of them, but we didn't even try  :(  Gotta' get better at this planning thing.

That's all for now, gotta' be more of a party animal (and crazed fan) today!  If anybody else is in KC (and reading this), PM me and we'll try to meet for a beer somewhere.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:56:10 AM by rocky_warrior »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MUScoop diary: KC day 1 & 2
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »
A couple (reall bad, through dirty window) pics of the venue - Municipal Auditorium are attached to this message (must login to view).  Haven't been inside yet, but it's not a very attractive building from the outside (plus there's some construction going on).  Drove by the new Kemper Arena, it'll be a nice spot next year.  Though not close to anything else.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:32:25 PM »
A couple (reall bad, through dirty window) pics of the venue - Municipal Auditorium are attached to this message (must login to view).  Haven't been inside yet, but it's not a very attractive building from the outside (plus there's some construction going on). 

way to get out and see the city, Rocky!  :D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:06:39 PM »
way to get out and see the city, Rocky!  :D

lol...But there's weird people out there that don't know how to use the internet   ;D

Lots of Dukies too  :o

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »
it's gameday and the municipal is coming to life!!
lights are turning on.. security is roaming.. several charter busses at the marriot across the street (team buses?).. cheerleaders practicing in the park in front..

oh.. and lots of duke fans wandering around aimlessly it seems.. (standard behavior?)

Rocky and I saw a couple of marquette shirts in the crowd walking around in the country club plaza area so we know SOME fans are here.. where are the rest of ya?? TIME TO REPRESENT!!! (yes I know, said from someone sitting in a hotel room - but look up and you'll see me standing in the window spying down on all of it).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:26:23 PM »
(I swear I posted this before ..)  .. Go to the Team hotel .. there's usually some official/unofficial gatherings there .. plus you can high-five the team as they load onto the bus, or walk over to the arena.

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:51:34 PM »
The game isn't in Kemper next year, it's at the Sprint Center that's under construction. Will be the nicest arena in the country (until the next one is built), etc., etc. Municipal is really old - it hosted nine Final Fours in the 1950s and 1960s.

I hope you guys get some bbq before you leave.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 04:53:34 PM by KCWarrior »

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »
hey fyi to our fans in KC check out the plaza my buddie from KC said it is a great place to check out real up and coming.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 04:56:56 PM »
The game isn't in Kemper next year, it's at the Sprint Center that's under construction.

Ahhh..that makes sense.  Thanks for the correction.  BBQ is on the agenda :)  I've held off thus far, because on Friday I went to lunch at an excellent KC style BBQ place in CO (the chef is from KC).  Nonetheless, I wouldn't leave KC without having some here.

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 05:03:36 PM »
Best BBQ in town, in my humble opinion, is not far from you. Take Broadway south to  20th St., go left. Take a right on Baltimore. Place is called Jack Stack.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 05:06:12 PM »
Excellent, we'll hit that tomorrow!  You gonna be at the game tonight (or are you no longer in KC)?

KCWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »
I'll be there. I'm currently sitting in my office about five blocks from the arena waiting for other MU fans to get here.