[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How to beat Louisville  (Read 3340 times)

tower912

• All American
How to beat Louisville
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:27:49 AM »
JWilson has to stay out of foul trouble.  If he gets his customary 2 fouls in 8 minutes in the first half, MU is in trouble.    Taylor is going to get minutes regardless of Gardner's status because Louisville's speed is going to wear out CO and DG.   Have to hold onto the ball.   If that means that somebody other than Junior has to bring it up sometimes, so be it.   Dieng was very good against Pitt passing to cutters from the high post.   Lockett is going to have to be aware of this and not get beat back door as much.   And nothing else matters if MU doesn't hit shots.   
   IMO, MU has the athleticism and depth to handle Louisville.    Hold onto the ball, make shots, stay out of foul trouble.   Of course, you can say that before every game......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

klyrish

• All American
Re: How to beat Louisville
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
#1 thing is to stop with all the idiotic passes. THINK before chucking the ball inside. If you're driving the lane, don't go for a Siva-style last-second pass to someone outside, TAKE THE POINTS.

And for the love of God, stop chucking up so many 3s. We are NOT a 3-point shooting team and it's time they stop trying to force it. Especially in a game where literally every possession is going to matter.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »

And for the love of God, stop chucking up so many 3s. We are NOT a 3-point shooting team and it's time they stop trying to force it. Especially in a game where literally every possession is going to matter.

Maybe you can give the team some inspiration by changing your avatar to a "peace sign".   ;D

TJ

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
+1,000,000

It is so irritating to watch this team waste so many possessions on shots they do not have the ability to make regularly.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

They don't chuck that many, really.  They are 10th in the Big East in 3PA.  And they can't just not take them.  If there is no threat of MU taking a three, then driving lanes collapse entirely.  They can cut down a little, but I think, for the most part, they take open threes.  Which they should.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Got to win either the turnover or rebounding battle.  Or at least keep those close and shoot 55% and hold them to 27% like last night.  14 turnovers like last night against Louisville probably equates to another BET performance where we had 26.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Maybe you can give the team some inspiration by changing your avatar to a "peace sign".   ;D
Hahahaha touche. I should see what I can do with this in Photoshop...

They don't chuck that many, really.  They are 10th in the Big East in 3PA.  And they can't just not take them.  If there is no threat of MU taking a three, then driving lanes collapse entirely.  They can cut down a little, but I think, for the most part, they take open threes.  Which they should.
I'm okay with the occasional open 3, but what REALLY annoys the sh1t out of me is driving down the court and after shaving maybe 3 seconds off the shot clock, the first (and only because offensive rebounding is almost impossible for this team it seems), throwing up a 3. I remember JWil doing this at least once last night and it was just infuriating. At the very least, pass the ball around a few times and waste a little clock before haphazardly shooting.

And if the last few possessions have all been turnovers or single-shot attempts (again, because getting a rebound...what?), then DEFINITELY do not waste a possession with an immediate 3 attempt.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »
I'm okay with the occasional open 3, but what REALLY annoys the sh1t out of me is driving down the court and after shaving maybe 3 seconds off the shot clock, the first (and only because offensive rebounding is almost impossible for this team it seems), throwing up a 3.

Yes I agree with that.  Those can generally be cut out.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
I'm okay with the occasional open 3, but what REALLY annoys the sh1t out of me is driving down the court and after shaving maybe 3 seconds off the shot clock, the first (and only because offensive rebounding is almost impossible for this team it seems), throwing up a 3. I remember JWil doing this at least once last night and it was just infuriating. At the very least, pass the ball around a few times and waste a little clock before haphazardly shooting.

The top of the key trey ball from the trailer on the fast break has been one of our highest % 3P shots since Buzz took the helm, and that has continued this year.  I get annoyed when JWilson or Anderson DON'T pull the trigger in that situation.  As an aside, I see Steve Taylor feasting on those top of the key trailing threes the next few years.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
I'm glad you guys don't coach at Marquette.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »
The top of the key trey ball from the trailer on the fast break has been one of our highest % 3P shots since Buzz took the helm, and that has continued this year.  I get annoyed when JWilson or Anderson DON'T pull the trigger in that situation.  As an aside, I see Steve Taylor feasting on those top of the key trailing threes the next few years.

I agree, I like to see Jamil and Anderson taking those 3's at the top of the key.  Crowder used to crush that spot last year.  I'm not so sure about Steve Taylor with the 3 ball yet.

Vander can shoot all the 3's he wants IMO.

I like to see Cadougan shoot when he's open.  Todd... he's gotta be open and the situation has to call for it I feel like.  Lockett - eh, I'd rather not.

And FWIW, I liked Davante's 3 last night.  If anything, it makes their big defender spread out of the lane a bit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
I'm okay with the occasional open 3, but what REALLY annoys the sh1t out of me is driving down the court and after shaving maybe 3 seconds off the shot clock, the first (and only because offensive rebounding is almost impossible for this team it seems),

They are sixth in the BE on OR%.  Not a bad offensive rebounding teams by any means.

I'm glad you guys don't coach at Marquette.

Yeah...that too.

JD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
I think the key to this game is Jr.  He has really been a Warrior for this team, however Junior has always struggled against fast, athletic guards.  I think his defense has improved this year, but Silva is a whole different beast.  If Marquette wins, Junior will be SOTG.

*unless of course, Van goes off for 30+ again*
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »
They are sixth in the BE on OR%.  Not a bad offensive rebounding teams by any means.
They sure didn't look like it last night.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
Let Siva shot from the outside, they are not that good, good but not great.  Beatable, MU needs to shoot well against there zone.  Handle there press, attack it for easy shots.
Do not get blown out in the first 5 minutes.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Let Siva shot from the outside, they are not that good, good but not great.  Beatable, MU needs to shoot well against there zone.  Handle there press, attack it for easy shots.
Do not get blown out in the first 5 minutes.

This.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
They're OR% for the year is 35.8.  Last night it was 33.3.

USF slightly exceeded their DR% too.

So yeah, it was worse than average last night, but MU is not a bad offensive rebounding team.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:17 AM »
I think Louisville is a very tough matchup for us.  Their pressure will give Junior/Vander fits, and I think we are going to have trouble just getting into our offense.  The keys for us winning are to not turn the ball over and control the defensive boards.  Both of those things are more easily said than done against Louisville.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
I think the key to this game is Jr.  He has really been a Warrior for this team, however Junior has always struggled against fast, athletic guards.  I think his defense has improved this year, but Silva is a whole different beast.  If Marquette wins, Junior will be SOTG.

*unless of course, Van goes off for 30+ again*

I agree it all rests on Cadougan. Siva is in quite a rut but still not sure Junior can handle him in his home gym on the defensive end.

The flip side of that is on offense where Russ Smith embarrassed Cadougan in the Garden last season taking the ball away so easily you wondered if Junior was on the take.

For a player who is hot/cold, this is not the backcourt you want to be facing.

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
I think we need to stick to our guns as well.  If MU falls behind we cannot try and push, we need to play a "Wisconsin style" game, and slow the pace. Once we beat the trap, get into our offense, feed the ball to De' De' and let him abuse the opposition down low.

It seems the slower more methodical offenses have advantages in games like these.  MU always had fits against teams who weren't quick to run the court.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
I agree, I like to see Jamil and Anderson taking those 3's at the top of the key.  Crowder used to crush that spot last year.  I'm not so sure about Steve Taylor with the 3 ball yet.
Vander can shoot all the 3's he wants IMO.

I like to see Cadougan shoot when he's open.  Todd... he's gotta be open and the situation has to call for it I feel like.  Lockett - eh, I'd rather not.

And FWIW, I liked Davante's 3 last night.  If anything, it makes their big defender spread out of the lane a bit.

I think Taylor is like a combo of Lazar and Jimmy's first year.  He came in billed as a 4 that could shoot the 3 (like Zar), but his inside game has been what has impressive.  It kind of made you wonder what scouts were thinking.  Hayward shot 21% on threes and 67% from the FT line as a frosh.  But he shot 50% from 2 and was a solid rebounder.  Then he shot 45% and 77% respectively in a bigger role as a soph, while significantly upping his defensive rebounding %.  Taylor is shooting 11% from 3 on very few attempts (1/9) and 56% from the FT line, but is shooting a whopping 68% from 2.  His rebounding %s are nearly identical to Zar's frosh year.  

He's like Butler in that he hardly ever attempts a three (Butler was 0/4 his 1st year), has a crazy high 2P%, and crazy low TO%, coupled with solid OR% numbers.  They both have/had excellent ORatings as a result.

I see Taylor shooting 50-55% from 2 next year in a lot more attempts, 30% from 3, and 65-70% from the FT line while maintaining an ORating north of 115.  Then his junior year he will up that 3P% again with more attempts and become the epitome of the stretch 4 weapon that thrives in this offense.  Add to that the fact that he's a legit 6'8" with a frame that can pack on the muscle, and he's gonna be a star.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
There are 3 things you need to do.

1) Limit turnovers.
2) box out on defense
3) hedge hard on the pick and roll

easy peasy.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
The matchup is very much strengths vs strengths.

Marquette is #3 in the conf at protecting the ball. UL is #1 at forcing turnovers.

UL is #4 in the conf at offensive rebounding. MU is #2 at defensive rebounding.

MU is #1 in conf at two point % (offensive and defense). UL is #5 at both areas.

Interestingly, UL is #1 at opponent's FT% (guessing because the pace wears teams out?), but MU is #1 at getting to the line and #4 at FT%.

Looking at all that... I don't think we're doomed
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »

I wasn't talking about the trailer threes on the break.  What I think can be cut are the early possession threes taken out of the flow of offense.  We should only be taking open, drive and kick threes, of which the trailer three would be included.

And trust me, I'm glad I don't coach MU either.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
Hahahaha touche. I should see what I can do with this in Photoshop...

And if the last few possessions have all been turnovers or single-shot attempts (again, because getting a rebound...what?), then DEFINITELY do not waste a possession with an immediate 3 attempt.

If we are occassionally chucking the three for no reason AND we are 10th in attempts, that kinda means we aren't shooting that many threes.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com