[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How to beat Louisville  (Read 3344 times)

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: How to beat Louisville
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
Limiting turnovers is key. Not depending on J. Wilson is the other. The way Juan and Steve have been playing, they will pick up his slack. If he shows up that's a bonus. Junior looking for a 10 assist night and Otule with 3 to 4 blocks won't hurt. Oh yeah, Lockett with no shots attempts unless a dunk or tip in. WIN

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
The matchup is very much strengths vs strengths.

Marquette is #3 in the conf at protecting the ball. UL is #1 at forcing turnovers.

UL is #4 in the conf at offensive rebounding. MU is #2 at defensive rebounding.

MU is #1 in conf at two point % (offensive and defense). UL is #5 at both areas.

Interestingly, UL is #1 at opponent's FT% (guessing because the pace wears teams out?), but MU is #1 at getting to the line and #4 at FT%.

Looking at all that... I don't think we're doomed

This is a very good analysis - I think in the end it will come down to 3 pointers.  It's our offensive & defensive weakenss, and they're not horrible at either.  I'm nervous for a "when it rains it pours" type game where it becomes contagious and the crowd takes us right out of it.  However, if we can get hot (like we were in the 1H against Pitt) the opposite could come true and we take their crowd out of it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
We cannot afford any long dry spells on O side of court. Defensive pressure and causing TO are always key for MU success under Buzz. Also, Jamil has to play like a stud because we need his long athletic body out there.

bkooncy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
This is a very good analysis - I think in the end it will come down to 3 pointers.  It's our offensive & defensive weakenss, and they're not horrible at either.  I'm nervous for a "when it rains it pours" type game where it becomes contagious and the crowd takes us right out of it.  However, if we can get hot (like we were in the 1H against Pitt) the opposite could come true and we take their crowd out of it.
I agree if we hit 3's or both teams miss most of their 3's I think we have a great shot.  But we have to find a ways to consistently get it to Gardner in the low post when they are in their zone D.  Lately we have had a hard time of getting Gardner quality touches in our zone offense.  If Gardner can get 15+ I think Louisville is in trouble.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
One I would like to add one on offense: NO driving all the to the hoop for the guards.  Looeyville loves to dare you to drive it all the way to the basket and have Dieng and  Harrell block shots for easy transition baskets.

Going to need to dump those drives off to a big man, pass to an open man outside, or take the pullup from 7-10 feet.  Please, please do not consistently drive all the way unless you are over 6'8"+.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
I think a solid start is key.  Too many games where we start off slow and scramble to get back into it.  Last few we've done better.  I do not want to get behind that team on the road in that atmosphere.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
One I would like to add one on offense: NO driving all the to the hoop for the guards.  Looeyville loves to dare you to drive it all the way to the basket and have Dieng and  Harrell block shots for easy transition baskets.

Going to need to dump those drives off to a big man, pass to an open man outside, or take the pullup from 7-10 feet.  Please, please do not consistently drive all the way unless you are over 6'8"+.

The only guy we have taller than 6'8" is Otule.   I sure as hell do not want him driving all of the way to the hoop. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

The only guy we have taller than 6'8" is Otule.   I sure as hell do not want him driving all of the way to the hoop. 

Meant 6'8" or taller.  I believe Wilson fits in this category.