Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 27 year old Buzz  (Read 12895 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 27 year old Buzz
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
Favorite movie: Major League
 Who are the current MU equivalents of the Cleveland Indians in ML?

A bit of trivia...Major League was filmed at County Stadium.  There were many of us as Freshmen that were extras in the movie as they shot it over several weekends when the Brewers were not playing and bussed in MU students to be the fans in the stands.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
At the G'town game on Saturday wasn't one of the trivia questions who is Buzz's favorite musical artist (now) and the answer was Kenny Chessney. Which makes total sense
Bring back FFP!!!

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »
A bit of trivia...Major League was filmed at County Stadium.  There were many of us as Freshmen that were extras in the movie as they shot it over several weekends when the Brewers were not playing and bussed in MU students to be the fans in the stands.

I thought that was common knowledge

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »

For us older folks, yeah.   ;)   I was at a conference this week and they had a game for 750 of us to play at our chairs, kind of a team building exercise.  Every person there is given a remote buzzer and it logs your answers, person with the most correct questions goes on stage, yada yada.  So the game was based on the $100,000 Pyramid and they showed a few clips with Dick Clark running the game just so people could see how it works.

When the host asked how many people had never heard or seen the game, more than half of the 750 raised their hand.  That was a "oh Crap" moment for me....I'm getting old and people in this industry are really young.  I thought it was "common knowledge". 

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »

Then in like 2007 or something, there was a bad snowstorm in Cleveland and the Indians played a home series in Milwaukee (albeit Miller Park and not County Stadium).  I was at that game and there were a bunch of Major League references (played Wild Thing on the PA, soundbytes, etc).  It was pretty fun.  Tickets were like $7.  I forget who the Indians played.   

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
'06 grad here and I did not know that. Glad I do now.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »
they played the Angels I believe and then the Cubs also played the Astros in Miller Park during that Hurricane the next year, Zambrano's no hitter was that series
Bring back FFP!!!

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
they played the Angels I believe and then the Cubs also played the Astros in Miller Park during that Hurricane the next year, Zambrano's no hitter was that series

I was also at that game. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
For us older folks, yeah.   ;)   I was at a conference this week and they had a game for 750 of us to play at our chairs, kind of a team building exercise.  Every person there is given a remote buzzer and it logs your answers, person with the most correct questions goes on stage, yada yada.  So the game was based on the $100,000 Pyramid and they showed a few clips with Dick Clark running the game just so people could see how it works.

When the host asked how many people had never heard or seen the game, more than half of the 750 raised their hand.  That was a "oh Crap" moment for me....I'm getting old and people in this industry are really young.  I thought it was "common knowledge". 

I guess you are right I am an old fart, or so my kids told me when I explained to them what “Pong” and space invaders were.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »
dibs
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:59:59 AM by Stone Cold »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
I guess you are right I am an old fart, or so my kids told me when I explained to them what “Pong” and space invaders were.

We had that conversation recently.  I showed them a youtube clip of Pong and they looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball.  "You guys played THAT...for hours?  Days?"

"Yes kids, and we had 3 VHF channels and a few UHF channels on tv and PONG.  We did this thing called going outside, playing tag, hide and go seek, war, baseball, three flies up, smear the queer, burned ants with magnifying glasses, shot hoops, shot b.b. guns, played at the park with equipment you don't see anymore today because of litigation".  Good times.  A simpler world.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
My cousin is a 5th grade teacher and he brought in an old rotary dial phone and said he'd give a prize to anyone who could dial it.  He said the kids were just pushing the numbers liek they were buttons.  Not one kid knew how to operate.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
We had that conversation recently.  I showed them a youtube clip of Pong and they looked at me like I had a 3rd eyeball.  "You guys played THAT...for hours?  Days?"

"Yes kids, and we had 3 VHF channels and a few UHF channels on tv and PONG.  We did this thing called going outside, playing tag, hide and go seek, war, baseball, three flies up, smear the queer, burned ants with magnifying glasses, shot hoops, shot b.b. guns, played at the park with equipment you don't see anymore today because of litigation".  Good times.  A simpler world.

+1 to all of that

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
We did this thing called going outside, playing tag, hide and go seek, war, baseball, three flies up, smear the queer, burned ants with magnifying glasses, shot hoops, shot b.b. guns, played at the park with equipment you don't see anymore today because of litigation".  Good times.  A simpler world.

cue sepia tones and Ken Burns narration.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
My cousin is a 5th grade teacher and he brought in an old rotary dial phone and said he'd give a prize to anyone who could dial it.  He said the kids were just pushing the numbers liek they were buttons.  Not one kid knew how to operate.

To be fair...I helped my grandpa set up his new iPhone at Christmas. The experience was pretty similar.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
burned ants with magnifying glasses. Good times.  A simpler world.

A more cruel world. PETA has been notified

Death on call

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

Why would an 11 year old in 2013 know how to use something that was phased out of society in the early 1980's?  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
we'd get the chemistry set  and try to burn the grasshoppers and ants with a mixture of chemicals, like it'd be some cool new invention.    

Of course then I  thought I swallowed some and was on my death bed, it was probably just vinegar with baking soda.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »

I think people my age have to be right on the edge of that.  I remember pyramid being on TV (not repeats) when I was pretty young.  Hell, I remember a whole bunch of game shows being on TV... and not the new style ones.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:21 PM »

There is a storefront in Las Vegas called the Pinball Hall of Fame. It's run by a guy who likes to restore old pinball machines and video games and to finance his hobby, he lets people play them for whatever it originally cost - if it was a nickel machine back in the day, it's a nickel now.  It's got an original arcade-style Pong game, the old mechanical baseball games, air hockey, Bally pinball machines from the '50's, an old-school "Sex Tester", you name it.

My kids absolutely love that place. The older the game, the better.
Have some patience, FFS.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
There is a storefront in Las Vegas called the Pinball Hall of Fame. It's run by a guy who likes to restore old pinball machines and video games and to finance his hobby, he lets people play them for whatever it originally cost - if it was a nickel machine back in the day, it's a nickel now.  It's got an original arcade-style Pong game, the old mechanical baseball games, air hockey, Bally pinball machines from the '50's, an old-school "Sex Tester", you name it.

Pinball is still my favorite game in the world to play. Despite being in the 'tech-addled' young folks crowd, I will still routinely drop $5-10 dollars playing X-Files or Sopranos pinball in bars. A nickel machine sounds like a dream.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
A couple years back we were clearing out the house I grew up in to move my mom closer.  I came across a rotary phone and showed my youngest daughter.  She made me bring it back with us because she thought it might be fun to play with.

Also reminds me of about 5-7 years ago when I was driving a carload of my oldest daughter's friends to a birthday party.  One of the girls had never seen a manual crank car window.  She was mesmerized.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
we'd get the chemistry set  and try to burn the grasshoppers and ants with a mixture of chemicals, like it'd be some cool new invention.    

Of course then I  thought I swallowed some and was on my death bed, it was probably just vinegar with baking soda.

That explains alot

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »

I live in Vegas. That place is on Tropicana might be closed now. It opened a few years ago but the lot is cyclone fenced off. Never went there but then I also never went to the Liberace Museum or the Barry Manilow Store.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
Who's Dick Clark?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"