collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kelly to NFL?  (Read 4807 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Kelly to NFL?
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8830219/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-interviews-philadelphia-eagles-coaching-vacancy-sources

It is clear that the nature of the relationship between colleges and their coaches is changing. Like ND or not (and I do NOT), they are a destination job for a football coach. Kelly looking to the NFL after playing in the NC game is pretty incredible.

Bringing this home to MU... I just think  you can't expect coaches to stick around very long anymore. There are still some old-timers like Coach K, Boeheim, etc.... but I'm convinced that the next 3 years won't have hot young coaches (Buzz) sticking around more than 10 years if that.

Here's the thing: It doesn't have to do with the institution's brand or cred.... it's happening to the biggest brand in college athletics.

My point is that it's more important now than ever that we are strong in all areas we can control AROUND the coach (facilities, conference affiliation, academics, etc) so that we are ALWAYS an attractive place for a great coach to do his thing.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Kelly to NFL?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8830219/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-interviews-philadelphia-eagles-coaching-vacancy-sources

It is clear that the nature of the relationship between colleges and their coaches is changing. Like ND or not (and I do NOT), they are a destination job for a football coach. Kelly looking to the NFL after playing in the NC game is pretty incredible.

Bringing this home to MU... I just think  you can't expect coaches to stick around very long anymore. There are still some old-timers like Coach K, Boeheim, etc.... but I'm convinced that the next 3 years won't have hot young coaches (Buzz) sticking around more than 10 years if that.

Here's the thing: It doesn't have to do with the institution's brand or cred.... it's happening to the biggest brand in college athletics.

My point is that it's more important now than ever that we are strong in all areas we can control AROUND the coach (facilities, conference affiliation, academics, etc) so that we are ALWAYS an attractive place for a great coach to do his thing.

Likely a bargaining ploy (he's in talks to get an extension at ND) but there's no harm in it. Got to strike while the iron is hot and his iron isn't going to be this hot again.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
Likely a bargaining ploy (he's in talks to get an extension at ND) but there's no harm in it. Got to strike while the iron is hot and his iron isn't going to be this hot again.
I know as much as the next guy but you'd really have to do this to negotiate a raise at Notre Dame? After you take them to their first NC game since 1988?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
I know as much as the next guy but you'd really have to do this to negotiate a raise at Notre Dame? After you take them to their first NC game since 1988?

He's already going to get a raise. The question is how much.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
Not to mention Swarbrick already came out saying he's willing to pile on the cash and years before BK even interviewed

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-07/sports/ct-spt-0107-bcs-bits-notre-dame--20130107_1_brian-kelly-jack-swarbrick-matt-hegarty

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
My understanding is that because of the "national constituency" of Notre Dame, that being the ND coach is very much a tiring job....and very well could be why they never seem to get high level candidates to bite when they have a search. 

For instance, if you are Urban Meyer looking at Ohio State and Notre Dame, one of the advantages to Ohio State is that you get almost all of your players locally and during the off-season are rubbing elbows with boosters almost entirely located within that state as well.

Not saying this is why Kelly is leaving, but if he always dreamed of coaching in the NFL, there will always be quality program lining up for your services should you fail.  (See Steve Spurrier for example.)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
Not to mention Swarbrick already came out saying he's willing to pile on the cash and years before BK even interviewed

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-07/sports/ct-spt-0107-bcs-bits-notre-dame--20130107_1_brian-kelly-jack-swarbrick-matt-hegarty

Fair enough. Maybe he just wants out.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
Can you imagine how many alumni Kelly has to glad hand as the ND coach?  Must be nauseating.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:39:31 AM »
He may likely feel that the expectation of the the nose pickers is for another perfect season.  He's obviously smart enought to know that without the ref's helping him this year, ND was at best a 9and 3 team. 

Tought expectations to live up to.  Can't blame him for wanting to get out if that's his line of thinking.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
He may likely feel that the expectation of the the nose pickers is for another perfect season.  He's obviously smart enought to know that without the ref's helping him this year, ND was at best a 9and 3 team. 

Tought expectations to live up to.  Can't blame him for wanting to get out if that's his line of thinking.

Shouldn't he just take the 50 year extension at $30 million/year that ND is offering and then accept the buyout when he fails in 4 years like Weis did?  That's free money!

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Kelly has no professional football contacts!! Who would he hire; who would want to work with him?  ND should call his bluff.  He'd be a disaster in the pros at this stage of his coaching career.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
Kelly is staying at ND over Eagles per Bruce Feldman

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »
Kelly is staying at ND over Eagles per Bruce Feldman

Philadelphia is being termed the City of Brotherly Leverage

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
Philadelphia is being termed the City of Brotherly Leverage

/slowclap

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
Good for Kelly, but even better for the Eagles. Kelly would be an AWFUL pro coach. Can you imagine him screaming at Lesean McCoy, Demeco Ryan's, et al until he's red in the face? It would take about 2 weeks of camp for the players to tune him out or worse.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
Kelly will be gone next year, no doubt.

Domers are livid he even interviewed, Swarbrick included.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
Kelly will be gone next year, no doubt.

Domers are livid he even interviewed, Swarbrick included.

They'd be morons.  Kelly's the best coach they've had in 20 years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »

They'd be morons.  Kelly's the best coach they've had in 20 years.

Without a doubt, but the fanbase/administration do not want to hear that there's something worth interviewing.

It'll be a strange relationship all year. Any personal equity Kelly built up will be gone due to their shortsightedness. He will feel it and want out. Just my theory.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
He's getting a brand new deal out of it.  Isn't going anywhere it seems.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
sounds like ND athletic administrators don't know a good coach if it would hit them in the face.

feedback