Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWGB just lost at home to Wright State  (Read 3857 times)

wadesworld

• All American
UWGB just lost at home to Wright State
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:04:13 PM »
By double digits.  When I said in the NCCU Gameday Chat that the UWGB loss was a bad loss I was told that it wasn't a bad loss and that I was looking at their Win-Loss record rather than looking at their "total body of work."  I was told that they very well may win the Horizon League (impressive!).  Well, they aren't going to win the Horizon League and they aren't a good team at all (like I was told they were...if they were they wouldn't have come into the game with us with a 3-7 record with the schedule they had played to that point).

That loss was an embarrassing and HORRIBLE loss to a BAD team, and anybody who says otherwise is a blind homer with blue and gold pieces of wood over their eyes.  UWGB is AWFUL!  I don't care if they are a top 200 RPI team (referenced in the Gameday Chat).  TOP 200!  So a loss to team 199 is OK?  That means they would miss the NCAA, NIT, and CBI.  Looking at who is in the top 200 is a joke.  Anybody below top 100 RPI is a team that Marquette should handle.

I'm not saying that we are an NIT team because of one loss this year, but to try to convince yourself that losing to UWGB was anything but a horrible loss is just pure homer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: UWGB just lost at home to Wright State
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
I'm at peace being a "homer."
Ludum habemus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I'm at peace being a "homer."

I would consider myself a homer, but not a blind homer.  Like I said, I'm not saying our season is a waste because of one loss, but that loss was a horrible loss and to think otherwise is just straight up wrong.  If we want to take a look at their "body of work," they are 6-8 overall, 0-1 in the (horrible) Horizon League, and their best win besides Marquette is North Dakota State, who I was told was a "really good team" to justify their "body of work."  SOUTH DAKOTA STATE!  No, they are not a really good team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:12:27 PM »
They lost at Wright State.  The Nix have talent but are up and down.  They were out of sync ironically because they have three players back who were not available for the Marquette game.  GB might make some noise late.  We'll see.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
I'm not saying that we are an NIT team because of one loss this year, but to try to convince yourself that losing to UWGB was anything but a horrible loss is just pure homer.

If you look at their schedule I think 10 Big East wins is a high end goal. Seeing as it's a bit of down year for the Big East a 9-9 or 10-8 record with a Loss @ GB may be the deciding factor sending them to the NIT. Bad Loss.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
They lost at Wright State.  The Nix have talent but are up and down.  They were out of sync ironically because they have three players back who were not available for the Marquette game.  GB might make some noise late.  We'll see.

My mistake, thought it was a home game.  I suppose you can take less away losing on the road in conference than losing at home.  So they could still do something in the Horizon.  But that means nothing, the Horizon was bad with Butler in it, without Butler in it...yeesh.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
Yeah, big loss.  I moved on.  It's hard to get that Junior 3 out of my head right now when it comes to MU basketball.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
If you look at their schedule I think 10 Big East wins is a high end goal. Seeing as it's a bit of down year for the Big East a 9-9 or 10-8 record with a Loss @ GB may be the deciding factor sending them to the NIT. Bad Loss.

I disagree with 10 wins being the high end goal. I look at our schedule and see a fairly forgiving one.  The return opponents are pretty manageable all in all.  Seton Hall is sweepable, as is USF.  Pitt and G-town are most likely splits.  I see no worse than 5-3 there.  So with our win Tuesday, we're at 6-3.  Providence and Depaul at home should be wins; 8-3.  @Ville, @Cincy, vs. Cuse should be losses; 8-6.  @Nova, @Rutgers, @St. Johns and home vs. ND are toss ups.  I think the FLOOR is 9-9, with a decent chance at 12 wins still.  I don't even think I'm being that homerish in saying that. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
until we actually win a game on the road and prove that we can, I have a bad feeling we will lose to all but the very worst Big East teams on their floor.  Our first realistic chance is Feb 6th against USF.  Prior to that we play @ Pitt, @ Cinci and @ Louisville.  I have a hard time believing we have a chance in those.  It's going to be really tough to break .500 this year but hopefully they can do it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
" with a decent chance at 12 wins still.  I don't even think I'm being that homerish in saying that." 

I do.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
A loss, with a chance to win at the buzzer in a non-conference game against GB is just poor.  But I am more concerned about getting spanked by Loserville and Syracuse.  

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »
where's the checklist?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
Home vs. road is also the key split I see.  But I look at it from the reverse; rather than dwelling on a "we're a terrible road team" based on a sample size of two games, I'd rather lay the foundation by saying we're a good home team that manages to win there.  I see 7-2 at a minimum; it's realistic and with the way the schedule breaks down it's necessary.  Then it becomes about the road performance.  The bad thing is that the most difficult comes come first so it will be hard to get momentum on the road, but hopefully we tough it out until the more winnable games come around (last four being SHU, Nova, Rutgers, SJU).  If we want to feel near certain about tournament chances, we'd need to shoot for 11 wins.  That's 7-2 home, 4-5 road or 8-1 home, 3-6 road or 9-0 home, 2-7 road.  

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
To the OP, yes it is a bad loss.  Every time I look at RealTimeRPI it has "?" by that game.  That says it all.

Assuming we go 9-9,10-8 in conference (think 10-8 is about the best we could do, hope I am wrong) that UW-GB loss will really hurt us.  Too early to say though as we have to compare resumes once the conference tourneys end.

We may be loving the new 68-team format as we could very well be one of the last in.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
To the OP, yes it is a bad loss.  Every time I look at RealTimeRPI it has "?" by that game.  That says it all.

Assuming we go 9-9,10-8 in conference (think 10-8 is about the best we could do, hope I am wrong) that UW-GB loss will really hurt us.  Too early to say though as we have to compare resumes once the conference tourneys end.

We may be loving the new 68-team format as we could very well be one of the last in.

Marquette has 8 regular season games remaining against ranked teams (i.e. opportunities for quality wins). If those teams continue playing well and MU can knock off 1-2 of them, even with a 9-9, 10-8 mark, MU will be in good shape on Selection Sunday.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
Any person who doesn't consider losing to Green Bay a horrible embarrassment is either devoid of a brain or being blissfully contrarian.

It should haunt this team but in reading the aftermath it seems MU has built up so much equity that it's chalked simply as a "growing pain" more than anything else.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
My mistake, thought it was a home game.  I suppose you can take less away losing on the road in conference than losing at home.  So they could still do something in the Horizon.  But that means nothing, the Horizon was bad with Butler in it, without Butler in it...yeesh.
Last year GB only lost 2 games at home and barely won any on the road. They are definately a home court team.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20:03 AM »
Horizon League plays better basketball, that some outsiders don't understand.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
If MU is a bubble team, a late season loss at St. John's or Rutgers would be much for detrimental to their tourney chances than a December road loss to UWGB.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »
I guess he didn't watch the game on TWC Sports32, since he thought the game was at GB.  :D

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »

Meh. Not really. Most teams outside of the Top 10 have a bad loss. Make that the only one, go 9-9 (win two games in Beast tourney) or 10-8 in conference and you're in.

Bad games happen. Good teams lose to bad teams sometimes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
The UWGB loss made all of us Phoenix fans.

Go Phoenix, upset the higher ranked teams, stop losing to these low teams, then win the Horizon!
SS Marquette