Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill  (Read 17126 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
WHAT!?!?  How can this be true?  I've watched us clank shot after shot after shot.  Is it because we are relying less on 3-point shooting overall and more on our interior game?  The impression I get (and has been discussed ad nauseum here) is that we can't shoot for you-know-what.

Yep, because our 3 pt shooting is down we seem like we're not shooting well.  Our points per posession is equal to last year's, but more of those points are coming from 2's as opposed to 3's.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
According to bama's Value Add, Blue is the #1224 player in the country this year, Newbill is #3050.

According to offensive efficiency, Blue is currently at 100.4 and Newbill is at 97.1

Blue's ORtg trend: 89.1, 95.6, 100.4
Newbill: 113.0, 97.1

Complete tangent but something I thought interesting nonetheless when compared to Blue is McNeal's ORtg trend: 87.7, 93.7, 104.4, 108.6

Thanks, Juanaman. To summarize, Bama's value added puts Blue well above Newbill (though neither are in the top 1000) and Blue's current ORtg is slightly higher. In Newbill's defense, his overall ORtg is much higher but was accomplished against lesser competition.

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
Newbill impressive tonight against Badgers.  Announcers remarked that MU may want a re-do on Newbill.  The legend grows...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
Newbill impressive tonight against Badgers.  Announcers remarked that MU may want a re-do on Newbill.  The legend grows...

12 points, 8 rebounds and 4 turnovers with a minute to go. 

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »

I was impressed by him also. He's got some skills and is really athletic, he threw down two really nice dunks with a Wisconsin big right in his face. Granted, it was my first time seeing Newbill play, but he sure looked good enough to me that he'd at the very least be in the playing rotation on this current Marquette squad. Maybe as say a nice combo guard off the bench, taking away Derrick Wilson's minutes and also some two guard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 02:15:48 AM »
And the Badgers took 26 free throws to Penn State's 1...yep..no mistake...Wisconsinn 26 FT attempts, Penn State 1..at the Kohl.   Wow.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:11 AM »
Here's Newbill and Vander's freshman years...but go ahead...chalk it up to competition level...Vander had the benefit of playing with 3 NBA players on the team his freshman year and was a complete afterthought for teams and still was awful...DJ Newbill was a focal point for teams to stop..as a freshman, and of course this year, as he has no supporting cast at PSU.  But go ahead, ignore the stats...as you always do...instead relying on your "basketball IQ."

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=devonte-newbill&devonte-newbill=2010-2011&p1=vander-blue

Ok the stats don't lie.  Here is Vander's freshman year versus Trent Lockett at ASU.  In every single category Lockett had better numbers than Blue.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=trent-lockett&p1=vander-blue&trent-lockett=2009-2010&vander-blue=2010-2011

And Lockett open up an even bigger gap over Blue when both of their sophomore years are compared

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=trent-lockett&p1=vander-blue&trent-lockett=2010-2011&vander-blue=2011-2012

So if you're right, and the numbers don't lie while competition does not matter, then Lockett would should be running rings around Blue.

How's that working out?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:55:25 AM by AnotherMU84 »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »

So if you're right, and the numbers don't lie while competition does not matter, then Lockett would should be running rings around Blue.

How's that working out?

Vander is a bit of an outlier, as his offensive game this season is totally different than the last two years.  If he so much as touched the ball in an offensive possession by the middle of his freshman year, we were pretty much guaranteed not to score (that is only slightly an exaggeration, as it seemed that way to me so I tracked it for a half of a game and it was only 60% less likely or something.  I only did it for a half because it is not a fun thing to do when watching a game).  Last year he added the ability to pass effectively a little bit (rather than just get rid of the ball before he turned it over) and cut down his turnovers per time he touched the ball, and this year he has added the ability to score with some efficiency, which is a huge leap forward.  I don't doubt that Trent Lockett the freshman and sophomore was a better offensive player than freshman and sophomore Blue. 

As for the main topic, I'm happy that Newbill has found a place where he fits in and is productive.  I always thought it was a little squirrelly that he didn't enroll at MU, but unfortunately that is the way of college basketball.  I seriously doubt he is really as good as Blue right now, though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »
In 1983-84, BYU's Devin Durrant averaged 27.9 points. Michael Jordan "only" averaged 19.6 for North Carolina.

Ipso fatso, Durrant was better.

(Plus, word is, Jordan refused to slap five with Cecil Exum!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
And the Badgers took 26 free throws to Penn State's 1...yep..no mistake...Wisconsinn 26 FT attempts, Penn State 1..at the Kohl.   Wow.

I watched the game specifically to see Newbill.  And the free throw disparity had nothing to do with referee bias...it had to do with Penn State taking a bunch of jump shots and UW pounding it inside.

BTW, I thought Newbill looked like a pretty decent player.  Would like to see what his game is like when he's got better talent around him.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »

I watched the game specifically to see Newbillto hopefully cure my insomnia.  And the free throw disparity had nothing to do with referee bias...it had to do with Penn State taking a bunch of jump shots and UW pounding it inside.

BTW, I thought Newbill looked like a pretty decent player.  Would like to see what his game is like when he's got better talent around him.
Fixed it For You

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2013, 08:12:31 AM »
Truth be told, everytime I started to doze off, I turned to the Fiesta Bowl.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »
Truth be told, everytime I started to doze off, I turned to the Fiesta Bowl.

You watched a meaningless bowl game?   ;D

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
Watched the last 4 minutes of the game...Newbill was nothing special at all.  As fore the dunks....well, Todd Townsend had a couple monster dunks in his career as well....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
Let's face it, Bo ball is boring to watch.  That's his style.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »
VERSUS BUCKY THIS SEASON:

Player ... Pts ... FG ... Reb ... Ast ... Stl ... TO

Newbill ... 12 ... 6-15 ... 8 ..... 4....... 1 ..... 5

Blue ....... 17 ... 7-14 ... 5 ..... 2 ...... 4 ..... 0

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
VERSUS BUCKY THIS SEASON:

Player ... Pts ... FG ... Reb ... Ast ... Stl ... TO... Outcome
Newbill ... 12 ... 6-15 ... 8 ..... 4....... 1 ..... 5..... L
Blue ....... 17 ... 7-14 ... 5 ..... 2 ...... 4 ..... 0....... W

Updated.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
hey guys, i check in from time to time to see you guys chat...... happy new year......

🏀

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
hey guys, i check in from time to time to see you guys chat...... happy new year......

Now what about those Philly guys and their glocks in the Gameday Chat?

PhillyCoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
just to set a few things straight, newbill decided to transfer closer to home was set in motion way before aug. it happened in aug. becuz he helped usm's apr. and was in summer school there. (one must be eligible to play where a player leaves in order to be eligible and receive an athletic schollie where they are going) plus newbills mother was sick. she pass last september. he had offers from all the local schools but we advised him to stay out the city due to the violence and turf wars. philly is a very tuff place to live in for an inner city kid. another thing, when dj was coming out of high school the high school dropped the ball on helping him with his paper work for mu, clearinghouse, & sending sat score to the proper places, after i left the team, i had dj gather everything and i sbmitted it. you see i wasnt just dj's coach i was and i still am a father figure, mentor, and pastor to this young man. again when i came on this site, it was based on dj coming to mu. we had no, i repeat no idea that dj was to be released for another player. i notice someone said on here that i came at coach buzz on this site, never happened. it was a sad thing but life goes on. i still wish buzz and mu success to this very day. but at the end of the day God knows the truth of the matter. you guys just speculate, not one of you had any connection to the story. and guy stats dont determine whose a better player, the blue/newbill debate can go on forever and we still wont determine who is better. but we can pray for and support these young men as they endeavor to help their perspective team win every game they play in. so with that being said, again have a happy new year....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
just to set a few things straight, newbill decided to transfer closer to home was set in motion way before aug. it happened in aug. becuz he helped usm's apr. and was in summer school there. (one must be eligible to play where a player leaves in order to be eligible and receive an athletic schollie where they are going) plus newbills mother was sick. she pass last september. he had offers from all the local schools but we advised him to stay out the city due to the violence and turf wars. philly is a very tuff place to live in for an inner city kid. another thing, when dj was coming out of high school the high school dropped the ball on helping him with his paper work for mu, clearinghouse, & sending sat score to the proper places, after i left the team, i had dj gather everything and i sbmitted it. you see i wasnt just dj's coach i was and i still am a father figure, mentor, and pastor to this young man. again when i came on this site, it was based on dj coming to mu. we had no, i repeat no idea that dj was to be released for another player. i notice someone said on here that i came at coach buzz on this site, never happened. it was a sad thing but life goes on. i still wish buzz and mu success to this very day. but at the end of the day God knows the truth of the matter. you guys just speculate, not one of you had any connection to the story. and guy stats dont determine whose a better player, the blue/newbill debate can go on forever and we still wont determine who is better. but we can pray for and support these young men as they endeavor to help their perspective team win every game they play in. so with that being said, again have a happy new year....

Happy new year to you too. Never take anything you read on a message board to seriously, especially when it comes to someone you're personally connected with.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
And..considering he couldn't transfer to a Big East school due to the Marquette issue...and wanted to play in a high major league...closer to home...that might explain why he's at Penn State...

What Marquette issue?  He never enrolled, hell, he never even applied to Marquette.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
Happy new year to you too. Never take anything you read on a message board to seriously, especially when it comes to someone you're personally connected with.

+1 (I'll take the high road.)

Sorry to hear of his mother's passing and good to see it's working out for DJ. Kudos to you for your work with him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear of DJ's mother's passing, it's a tribute to her that DJ continues on in such an outstanding manner.  Happy New Year to you and DJ.  I'm sure that DJ is fortunate to have others like yourself looking out for him at this difficult time.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
...such as Sultan

Are you not aware that Sultan is a highly respected poster. And that he refs kid basketball? How dare you question his expertise.

Death on call