[Today at 03:02:37 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by tower912
[Today at 03:01:12 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why all the Dayton hate?  (Read 24969 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Why all the Dayton hate?
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
I'm not gonna say that adding Dayton would be the worst thing in the world.  I mean they'd add... Well I'm sure they'd add something. But why should we take them now? We want to make this conference come out of the gates with programs that either have elite histories (not Dayton) or programs that are damn good now (not Dayton).  I just don't think they're what we want right now they don't help us make a big splash and with such a new idea we've gotta stick to schools that do. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
Give the networks/cablesystems a set 12 team conference.   Helps with bargaining.  Now name who you would rather have as long as it is east of Creighton.   Personally, though I love Gonzaga hoops, I like the smaller geographic footprint for the other sports.      So give me Dayton over Gonzaga.  C-7+ X, Butler, VCU, Dayton, and Creighton and I am ecstatic. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
I'm not gonna say that adding Dayton would be the worst thing in the world.  I mean they'd add... Well I'm sure they'd add something. But why should we take them now? We want to make this conference come out of the gates with programs that either have elite histories (not Dayton) or programs that are damn good now (not Dayton).  I just don't think they're what we want right now they don't help us make a big splash and with such a new idea we've gotta stick to schools that do. 

You're piping the right music Boxer! Dayton ain't Bowel Movement.

Death on call

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
Really didn't think I needed the teal needed the teal.

:D  :D

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Really didn't think I needed the teal needed the teal.

fuggedaboutit. fuggedaboutit.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
fuggedaboutit. fuggedaboutit.

Clearly you're a fan of Goodfellas.  We get it, Anthony.  Get it.  (I love the film too.)

But in 'MUScoop life' I actually see you more as the 'Shermanator' from American Pie.  I might suggest you watch the film.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
In terms of on the floor success of making the NCAA's for example, SLU has been to more NCAA tournaments in the past 20 years than Dayton.  5 to 4.  I believe Miller will improve upon that quickly moving forward at Dayton until he possibly moves on like his brother did at Xavier.  I also believe that SLU with its new $80 million facilities, new benefactors, and new future school President, will also improve. SLU has an important coaching hire coming up for the short term.  They both would be fine in a larger new conference imo.   

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
I think the "hate" is pretty obvious. I color coded the old beast so we could compare to the new one based teams from the top, top mid, low mid, and low.  I did not organize them from best to worst in those groups.

Old

Syracuse
UCONN
Pitt
Louisville

MU
Georgetown
ND
Villanova

Cincinnati
WV
SH
Usf

St. Johns
Rutgers
providence
Depaul

The new Big East
MU
Georgetown
Butler
Xavier
Villanova

SH
Depaul
Providence
St. john's

If we use this comparison the new Big East loses its top 4 teams but adds two to what are equivalent to its top middle.  The new beast loses 3/4ths of its low middle but hold onto the 3/4s the lows. As a conference the talent level looks to shift from stronger to weaker overall as it appears we hold onto the weaker of the strong and the weaker of the weak.  Butler and XU help to add more strong teams.  If we don't add a team or teams which are equivalent to the top 4 or top middle it will continue to support the argument that the new big east is significantly weaker than the old one.  Dayton doesn't fit that bill as it would fill the low to low middle.  SLU does the same.  

The new big east should focus on basketball only schools who typically win their conference like Gonzaga.  Creighton is a decent team out of the MVC but would compete every few years.  
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:40:19 PM by BallBoy »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
I think the "hate" is pretty obvious. I color coded the old beast so we could compare to the new one based teams from the top, top mid, low mid, and low.  I did not organize them from best to worst in those groups.

Old

Syracuse
UCONN
Pitt
Louisville

MU
Georgetown
ND
Villanova

Cincinnati
WV
SH
Usf

St. Johns
Rutgers
providence
Depaul

The new Big East
MU
Georgetown
Butler
Xavier
Villanova

SH
Depaul
Providence
St. john's

If we use this comparison the new Big East loses its top 4 teams but adds two to what are equivalent to its top middle.  The new beast loses 3/4ths of its low middle but hold onto the 3/4s the lows. As a conference the talent level looks to shift from stronger to weaker overall as it appears we hold onto the weaker of the strong and the weaker of the weak.  Butler and XU help to add more strong teams.  If we don't add a team or teams which are equivalent to the top 4 or top middle it will continue to support the argument that the new big east is significantly weaker than the old one.  Dayton doesn't fit that bill as it would fill the low to low middle.  SLU does the same.  

The new big east should focus on basketball only schools who typically win their conference like Gonzaga.  Creighton is a decent team out of the MVC but would compete every few years.  

With all those pretty colors he must be right
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
I believe ballboy's work is sound.  But i think I'd color Creighton with Dayton/SLU.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
In the past decade, VCU has made the tournament 6 times under 3 different coaches and made the Final Four trip. GMU has made the tournament 3 times all under 1 coach (who is now gone) and made the Final Four trip.

VCU has shown they can prosper through coaching turmoil and keep winning. GMU has shown no such thing. VCU has sustained their success while GMU had one run and little else to show. VCU is a bigger name with a more marketable head coach.

Can we please stop making decisions based on Shaka Smart?

VCU is fine and all, but let's not make them out to be another Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Can we please stop making decisions based on Shaka Smart?

VCU is fine and all, but let's not make them out to be another Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier.

Or BYU. BYU should be part of the new conference.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
No schools with D1 football allowed.   That includes BYU.   No hoops for you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
No schools with D1 football allowed.   That includes BYU.   No hoops for you.

BYU is like ND. They are football indy with their own TV net. If ND wants in would you tell them no???

Death on call

Xbus

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Can we please get back to hating Dayton

Why all the Dayton hate?

Because they are F'n annoying and suck.

Love Big Brother
X

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
If Notre Dame wants in (ever), they're in.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 08:10:46 PM »
Can we please get back to hating Dayton

Why all the Dayton hate?

Because they are F'n annoying and suck.

Love Big Brother
X

All the Dayton hate needed is that X doesn't want them. Case closed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
Another reason, this thread...

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22222

Apparently, the A-10 holds the keys to the ignition of the C7's car.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

Reading that board is creepy. What a delusional lot. The upside for Dayton is that they will compete for the A10 crown in the near term when the elite bolts for the C7.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

Registration at that site is closed.  Apparently they don't value other people's opinions.  LOL
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:28:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
Registration at that site is closed.  Apparently the don't value other people's opinions.  LOL

I saw that. Talk about paranoid.

Death on call

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Reading that board is creepy. What a delusional lot. The upside for Dayton is that they will compete for the A10 crown in the near term when the elite bolts for the C7.

+1 - UD talks like they are Butler...!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »
Registration at that site is closed.  Apparently they don't value other people's opinions.  LOL

Funny cause UDPride will go anywhere, including Scoop, to tell everyone why the A10 is THE league to be in. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »
Registration at that site is closed.  Apparently they don't value other people's opinions.  LOL

I saw that. Talk about paranoid.

Funny cause UDPride will go anywhere, including Scoop, to tell everyone why the A10 is THE league to be in. 

This fact came up earlier in another thread.  (Interesting how all of this conference discussion is just being recycled at this point.)  Claim was made by Dayton guys that they'd closed registration two years ago due to extensive trolling by Xavier fans.  Xavier/Dayton fan animosity seems to eclipse MU/Badger animosity.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledgeing idiots. The C7 must stick together or lose their automatic bid.

Plus the C7 lose any chance of retaining the Big East name, etc if they don't stick together.
We Are Marquette

feedback