Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why all the Dayton hate?  (Read 24947 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Re: Why all the Dayton hate?
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
I think the problem I'd that the C 7 already has several bottom feeders. One more is not good.  But it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if they were number 12.  I would not be happy if they were number 10.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
I think the problem I'd that the C 7 already has several bottom feeders. One more is not good.  But it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if they were number 12.  I would not be happy if they were number 10.

I don't think many are advocating they should be in the Top 10.  However, if this league goes to 12 members they are going to be on the potential list.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »

Or worst

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:31 PM »
Mid-major

Mid Major is how you act and not what conference you are in.

Auburn is much more mid major than Murray State

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »
But I care what the 17 year old 4 star thinks about having Dayton and Richmond on the schedule. That kid don't question any established Outfit like da B1G but he will question a new Family like we's settin up and Dayton aint the best lookin broad at da dance. Aint the best lookin broad at da dance.
Valid point
but If Dayton and SLU are your Weakest team than the conference is pretty solid IMHO.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:25 PM »
I hate Dayton because XU hates Dayton; even though I have UD friends. I side with XU fans fans who dislike the UD experience.  Donoher was overrated; so were the Grevey's. They dont sell beer at their games....and they are Catholic.....Their arena sucks; its dark and hard to see the game.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:53:27 PM by Knight Commission »

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
Valid point
but If Dayton and SLU are your Weakest team than the conference is pretty solid IMHO.
Exactly! We're taking teams from the top half of another league, not the bottom.... Assuming this is a upwards type move for their programs, it will only help their programs which are already pretty solid. Basically the same thing we did when moving nto the big east, no?
Also, mid major is an out dated term. Most in the media are starting to get past it and dislike the term, seth davis and jay bilas to name a few. Especially now that coaches at so called mid majors are getting paid big bucks and staying put (Shaka, Stevens, few, etc...) the gap between schools from the Bcs conferences is closing.
One last thought, everyone needs to keep in mind this is new, progressive idea with long term tradition and sustainable success at the forefront. Adding schools that have shown commitment to spend, invest, grow, hire, etc are all solid options.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 08:52:28 PM »
I like Dayton.   Family went there.   I remember playing home and homes in the 80's.    They pack the house.   Our name currently has a little more reputation than theirs, but for a decade or so, we were equal.   Bring them in. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Also, mid major is an out dated term. Most in the media are starting to get past it and dislike the term, seth davis and jay bilas to name a few. Especially now that coaches at so called mid majors are getting paid big bucks and staying put (Shaka, Stevens, few, etc...) the gap between schools from the Bcs conferences is closing.
One last thought, everyone needs to keep in mind this is new, progressive idea with long term tradition and sustainable success at the forefront. Adding schools that have shown commitment to spend, invest, grow, hire, etc are all solid options.

Ok, the current term is "power Six conference"

They are ... Big East, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac-12

These six will consume 45 to 55 of the 68 bids for the NCAA.  The other 10 or 12 conferences takes the rest.

The Big East is going away.  So is it the Power Five?  Will the C7 retain a spot as one of the Power Six?  Or, will another conference take the last spot as a Power Six (ie., CUSA, A-10, MW)

If the new C7 is not considered among the Power Six, it really lowers our ceiling.  In other words, mid-major

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
I finally figured out my number one reason for hating on Dayton:

The camera angle when broadcasting from their Arena. It sucks. No point in investing in HD if you're a Dayton fan, not seeing the game any better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »

The camera angle when broadcasting from their Arena. It sucks. No point in investing in HD if you're a Dayton fan, not seeing the game any better.

+1.

Finally some logic enters this thread.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »

These six will consume 45 to 55 of the 68 bids for the NCAA.  The other 10 or 12 conferences takes the rest.

The Big East is going away.  So is it the Power Five?  Will the C7 retain a spot as one of the Power Six?  Or, will another conference take the last spot as a Power Six (ie., CUSA, A-10, MW)

If the new C7 is not considered among the Power Six, it really lowers our ceiling.  In other words, mid-major
I dont think so. PAC 12, big 12, sec consumes what?5-6 bids between those leagues? an all hoops league would be a MAJOR player compared to middle of the road BCS programs... Probably get 5-6 bids alone, with Dayton and SLU.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
What's so great about VCU? Sure, they were a great Cindarella story when they made the Final 4. But so did George Mason and no one is clamping for their inclusion.

I'll take Dayton, on the whole, over VCU on the whole.

And endowments and stadiums and fan bases ALL matter.
We Are Marquette

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »

Ha--so true.  Always that same frickin mid-court row Z single camera. That was good.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »

In what world do the "Power Six" conferences get 45 to 55 NCAA bids each year?  Here's the number of teams from these conferences for the past 4 years

2009-36
2010-32
2011-36
2012-32

That's around half the bids and if you subtract the C7 schools and schools rumored to be involved (Butler&Xavier) the number goes well south of 50%. 

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Again, this will be the best basketball conference that doesn't sponsor football. 

She was the best lookin woman at the leper colony. At the leper colony.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
In what world do the "Power Six" conferences get 45 to 55 NCAA bids each year?  Here's the number of teams from these conferences for the past 4 years

2009-36
2010-32
2011-36
2012-32

That's around half the bids and if you subtract the C7 schools and schools rumored to be involved (Butler&Xavier) the number goes well south of 50%. 

Correct, I meant to "power six plus automatic bids"

My bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
What's so great about VCU? Sure, they were a great Cindarella story when they made the Final 4. But so did George Mason and no one is clamping for their inclusion.

In the past decade, VCU has made the tournament 6 times under 3 different coaches and made the Final Four trip. GMU has made the tournament 3 times all under 1 coach (who is now gone) and made the Final Four trip.

VCU has shown they can prosper through coaching turmoil and keep winning. GMU has shown no such thing. VCU has sustained their success while GMU had one run and little else to show. VCU is a bigger name with a more marketable head coach.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

burger

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 06:21:52 AM »
Dayton is the equivalent of college basketball trailer trash....

In the 90's they had some form of "control" over the running of the MCC.....

So instead of rotating the championship tournament between all the major cities.....(Chicago, Milwaukee, etc ...etc)

They had the NCAA bid tournament designated to be played at Dayton's home arena for 6 years in a row.....YES 6....

They will use any advantage including hiring "hometown" refs that will sku foul advantages.....

Any "hometown" advantage that they can try to employ.....

And if this happens on or "near" the court......You can only imagine how "Kentucky scummy" they are "off the court'.....

There is "a reason" that very few NCAA  teams in this area "play" Dayton....want to "deal" with Dayton.....

They simply put are....."THE TRAILER TRASH" of midwest NCAA basketball.....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
In the 90's they had some form of "control" over the running of the MCC.....

So instead of rotating the championship tournament between all the major cities.....(Chicago, Milwaukee, etc ...etc)

They had the NCAA bid tournament designated to be played at Dayton's home arena for 6 years in a row.....YES 6....

Wow, you must HATE St. John's. They've had the Big East Tournament held at their home arena for 30 years in a row.....YES 30....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
Are DePaul or Seton Hall mid-major???

Please no Terry Cummings or Mark Aguire references.....that was 30 years ago.

PJ Carlisimo?  is that what SH is hanging their hat on?  Didn't the Beast have to tell SH to spend $ on their athletics?  Nice.

At least UD gives a sheet about their team.....hatred fuels rivalries.

Tony Two Times

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 08:54:49 AM »
Wow, you must HATE St. John's. They've had the Big East Tournament held at their home arena for 30 years in a row.....YES 30....

Wow! Are you really comparing a tourney in the world's greatest city with one in Dayton friggin Ohio? And MSG is the Mecca of basketball while Dayton plays in that dumpy gym. Give me New York any day. A day in Dayton only seems like a week. Only seems like a week.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
At least UD gives a sheet about their team.....hatred fuels rivalries.
Agreed. UD's commitment to their program is why I support their inclusion.

Plus, since we no longer play WVU, we need a new school proficient in the area of couch burning.
We Are Marquette

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
The only real problem with Dayton is that we're creating a conference from scratch and can invite anyone we want in theory to join us. And we're choosing Dayton. Dayton is ok but if you were forming your own conference they wouldn't be high on the list. Sure BCS conferences have teams that you would not pick in them if you were creating a basketball conference from scratch. But those conferences weren't built around basketball besides the BE they were originally built around football or just location. Dayton is fine but there are better options like VCU who has been more successful lately is in a slightly better market, has a larger student base so more opportunity for growth and more potential eyeballs.

My ranking of potential additions after Xavier and Butler are:

Gonzaga
Creighton
VCU
Dayton
SLU

I wish there were any good southern schools to add for demographics, but the best options in terms of basketball success: Davidson, W. Kentucky, Murray St are just too midmajor for my tastes. This is another reason I would love to have Memphis.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
Wow! Are you really comparing a tourney in the world's greatest city with one in Dayton friggin Ohio? And MSG is the Mecca of basketball while Dayton plays in that dumpy gym. Give me New York any day. A day in Dayton only seems like a week. Only seems like a week.

Really didn't think I needed the teal needed the teal.