Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler President releases statement on C7  (Read 2770 times)

Wade for President

• All American
Butler President releases statement on C7
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »
I'm not good at reading between the lines, so don't know exactly what to make of this.  He clearly offers support to the C7 for being proactive by taking control of their destiny.

I can't imagine a president addressing something like this, without having intentions on acting upon it.

Getting Butler to join would be a massive win for the C7.  

http://butlersports.com/releases/121712aaa

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Butler President releases statement on C7
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 06:09:32 AM »
I speculate that we will hear an announcement within a week of Butler's conversion to Catholicism.   ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »
I speculate that we will hear an announcement within a week of Butler's conversion to Catholicism.   ;)

For what it's worth, even though Butler originally had Protestant beginnings and is basically nondenominational now, its students self-identify as Catholic more than any other religious affiliation.
Have some patience, FFS.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »
Oh yeah, Buttler is totally on board with the new league.  That's my reading between the lines.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
This is a big moment for me as it's the first time I invoke the "a source with intimate knowledge of the situation tells me," but here goes...

A source with intimate knowledge of the C7 situation told me that Butler is pretty much a "done deal" to join the league... already on board.

Hope I'm 1-0 on these once this pans out
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:14:56 AM by sixstrings03 »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:28:16 AM »

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
I can count on one hand the coaches in the country that I'd trade for Buzz, and Brad Stevens is at the top of that list.

I was somewhat surprised that Stevens didn't cash in his success of back-to-back Nat'l Championship game appearances (how could his stock get any higher?!?), but now have realized that he's cut from a similar mold as Buzz.  Create your own identity/culture, and don't mess with happy.

I live in Indy, and remember hearing two years ago that there were only two jobs that Stevens would consider leaving Butler for:  IU (it seems that Crean has righted the ship) and Duke.

It appears that Butler/Stevens will mesh perfectly with the other basketball centric members in the new league.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted in any other threads, but Mark Miller tweeted that multiple sources have said it is going to be a 10 team league with Xavier, Butler, and Dayton. For what it's worth Mark Miller is normally pretty reliable with his info.
Bring back FFP!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been posted in any other threads, but Mark Miller tweeted that multiple sources have said it is going to be a 10 team league with Xavier, Butler, and Dayton. For what it's worth Mark Miller is normally pretty reliable with his info.

Remove Dayton and add nearly ANY of the other teams we have been discussing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:12 AM »
Reading the Indy Star, they said it would be "remiss not to accept an invitation."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121217/SPORTS0605/121217036/Butler-president-adds-speculation-Bulldogs-could-leave-Atlantic-10

They're IN and they seem to know it.  I suspect that the two 'locks' are Xavier and Butler.  I'll bet there is still conversation about 10 or 12 and which school might get the final (or final 3) invitation(s).  It'll be interesting to learn in a few years if there were differing opinions among the C7 on this topic prior to a consensus emerging.  

Again, what is so very refreshing is that the C7 will end up doing EXACTLY what is in there interest.  Both Butler and Xavier (and others) will simply be absolutely thrilled to come along for the ride.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
+1 Why double-down on the Cincinnati market when we could get SLU in a fresh market?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »

Agree.  Creighton or VCU would do the trick if Gonzaga is too much of an outlier, even SLU.  Hopefully something changes since MM is always reliable.  As far as X and Butler, way too many sources confirming it for it not to happen.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
I have to imagine that the fact that the Butler prez previously worked at Nova, breeds familiarity with the C7.

If we go 10 schools (which I would prefer), give me Butler, Xavier, and Creighton.

I would love to add Gonzaga, but I imagine the logistics of travel for all sports makes it challenging to justify the move.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
I dont even have to read between the lines, that is a flat out request to join the new Big East.

If they were not interested they would just say they weren't interested. 
We Are Marquette