Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[Today at 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[Today at 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] The new league moving forward  (Read 3846 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] The new league moving forward
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »
The new league moving forward

Marquette officials do not necessarily favor the national perception that its new conference will be a Catholic conference.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/183828831.html

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: [MJS Blog] The new league moving forward
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Key quote:
"MU athletic director Larry Williams said the brand appeal is such that the new league will have no trouble negotiating a favorable TV deal. Of course, the seven schools had to have that in hand as a virtual lock before they took the leap."

I agree with this assessment. I also strongly believe there was at least an informal commitment from Xavier and Butler. Otherwise the risk would have been too great. Catholic schools aren't known for their lack of conservatism.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:14:48 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Yes, Marquette is a Jesuit school and proud of it. The other six Big East breakaway schools - Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall - are Catholic schools.

The last time I checked, Georgetown is also a Jesuit school--not just Catholic.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:56:53 PM by We R Final Four »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
Villanova is Augustinian
Providence is Dominican
DePaul and St. John's are Vincentian
Marquette and Georgetown are Jesuit
Seton Hall is generally Catholic and not affiliated with an order? I'm not sure on Seton Hall.
We Are Marquette

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »
"Just two years ago, ESPN offered the league a TV deal that would have been worth $11 million to each full-time member."

"Each full-time member" means football playing teams that also plays the other sports.  Marquette would NOT have been getting the $11/year.  They would have gotten a ton less than that.  Poorly written piece.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
Villanova is Augustinian
Providence is Dominican
Seton Hall is generally Catholic and not affiliated with an order? I'm not sure on Seton Hall.

Seton Hall is a diocesan university - under the Archdiocese of Newark.
Have some patience, FFS.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
"Of note is a New York Daily News story that reports the Big East turned down an ESPN TV contract two years ago that would have paid $11 million to each member.

Ouch.

I've been told Marquette gets $1.5 million annually from the current Big East contract. The Daily News story says each member gets $1.6 million. Let's say it's $1.55 million. Still, think of the lost revenue. The story says Rutgers, West Virginia and Pittsburgh followed the lead of Georgetown in saying no to the deal because they thought the league could do better on the hopes that the Big East would become a big-time football conference in large TV markets."

Makes it sound like the deal that was turned down would have gotten MU $11m/year? That can't be right?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:15:10 PM »
"Of note is a New York Daily News story that reports the Big East turned down an ESPN TV contract two years ago that would have paid $11 million to each member.

Ouch.

I've been told Marquette gets $1.5 million annually from the current Big East contract. The Daily News story says each member gets $1.6 million. Let's say it's $1.55 million. Still, think of the lost revenue. The story says Rutgers, West Virginia and Pittsburgh followed the lead of Georgetown in saying no to the deal because they thought the league could do better on the hopes that the Big East would become a big-time football conference in large TV markets."

Makes it sound like the deal that was turned down would have gotten MU $11m/year? That can't be right?

It's not. The $11 million/year would have been for full members, i.e. football schools. For the hoops only schools, it would have been significantly less.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
Seton Hall is a diocesan university - under the Archdiocese of Newark.

They're also a "Sea-Grant" university.  Didn't know that existed...
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
IIRC, the "2-years-ago-contract" would have paid basketball schools in the neighborhood $3M/year (or twice what they're receiving now).  One would think (hope) that the new conference should be able to at least get to that point.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Villanova is Augustinian
Providence is Dominican

For whatever it is worth, Xavier and St. Louis and Creighton are Jesuit schools.

Butler is independent/private.

Dayton is Marian order.

Based on everything I know about the Society of Jesus, they are very tight and stick together.
We Are Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
They're also a "Sea-Grant" university.  Didn't know that existed...

Makes the Pirates name very appropriate.  Hopefully no Somalians are offended though or they will have to become the Wildcats or the Golden Eagles, or maybe just Blue.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
Opinions galore

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ktlincoln/butler-university-is-super-arrogant-about-their-ba

The ending of that piece was pretty hilarious. Comparing a team to the '90-93 Buffalo Bills is definitely one way too throw a wet blanket on something 99% of schools would be proud of.

Is Butler really one of the biggest brands in college basketball or is that some hyperbole?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
For whatever it is worth, Xavier and St. Louis and Creighton are Jesuit schools.

Butler is independent/private.

Dayton is Marian order.

Based on everything I know about the Society of Jesus, they are very tight and stick together.

FWIW--Gonzaga is Jesuit as well.  My point was Mike Hunt seemed to know that MU was Jesuit, but not Georgetown.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
would be nice to add 2 west coast teams so that on a road trip we could play both on a weekend, say Friday and Sunday.  Would be economical, too.  Zags and ?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
Dear Mike Hunt,

Think about the lunacy of what you are writing.  I quote:

Ouch."

Ouch?  Really?  Well, yes, if you're UConn, Cinci, or South Florida.
However, if you're West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, or Louisville you're thanking your lucky stars that you got into another league and aren't stuck with a stinker of a football contract like that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:27:33 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.