2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mayo not likely to return  (Read 7266 times)

teamdee

• Scholarship Player
Re: Mayo not likely to return
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
This isn't Nazi Germany.  It's ok to see a little criticism about the team once in a while.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
No, it isn't Nazi Germany.   And if you look around, you will see lots of criticism of the team.   But freedom to have an opinion does not mean freedom from having that opinion criticized.   You can post any opinion you want, within reason.   We are then free to make judgements on them and on you based on what you write.    See how this works?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:51:43 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
This isn't Nazi Germany.  It's ok to see a little criticism about the team once in a while.

Godwin's law.
You lose.

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

No, it's PC America. Damn you Donna Shalala! God Damn you to hell, woman!
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »
Nice, Pakuni - cracked me up (after I googled it to see what is was).

Slim

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
Nice, Pakuni - cracked me up (after I googled it to see what is was).

I can't believe Godwin came up with that in 1990 about online discussions. Guy was ahead of his time!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an argument made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2][non-primary source needed] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis.
Godwin's law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread Reductio ad Hitlerum form.[citation needed] The Reductio ad Hitlerum attempts to refute a view because it has been held by Hitler.[4] The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses, irrespective of whether it is appropriate. Precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.[5]
Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[6] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Although I don't recall any Nazi references on the world famous craptastic thread.  Someone want to run over there and throw one in?

unforgiven

• Starter
  • Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Although I don't recall any Nazi references on the world famous craptastic thread.  Someone want to run over there and throw one in?

There were some references to Stalin, no?
"Times are tough. And people are gonna be drinkin' themselves some booze."     Willie, A Raisin In The Sun

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »

I'll usually bring it up once a thread gets to a certain point.  Godwin's law is famous enough that it's become self-fulfilling :)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
I'll usually bring it up once a thread gets to a certain point.  Godwin's law is famous enough that it's become self-fulfilling :)

Godwin's law only exists because in a world where people have differing perspectives on everything, everyone (except the Muslim fundamentalists and North Korea - but who cares about them any way) all agree on one thing -- the Nazis were bad.  Therefore, it has become a common thread, a benchmark analogy for evil if you will, that we can all relate to, and further it allows people to more effectively communicate a written message (without the benefit of inflection, body language, sarcasm, etc.).

That and yes, people like us enjoy strategically dropping it in every once in a while just to liven things up a bit.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »

Yeah... I put one in. And we had a discussion whether or not it counted LOL.
Relax. Respect the Process.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »
But my favorite part (intimated by Pakuni's "You lose") is the corollary that "once such a comparison is made the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress."

Sweet.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
No one knows, not Hunt maybe not even Todd.  But but hanging in the MU library team seems a better place to sort it out than wherever he went this summer. 
Here's hoping Todd realizes that he is better off staying in school and that this good team is a better one if he's playing on  it.     

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Godwin's law.
You lose.

Coglin's Law! We all win!!