'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [MJS Blog] Mayo ruled academically ineligible  (Read 3759 times)

MJS_Says

[MJS Blog] Mayo ruled academically ineligible
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
Mayo ruled academically ineligible

Todd Mayo, a sophomore guard from West Virginia, has rendered himself academically ineligible.

Mayo will be unable to play or practice for the Golden Eagles indefinitely.

“Todd understands success in our program requires a sincere commitment to excellence on and off the floor,” coach Buzz Williams said. “I’m extremely disappointed he’s put himself in this position, but he has the full support of our program as he works to improve.”

Mayo is ineligible per NCAA regulations.

Mayo, the brother of NBA player O.J. Mayo, has had a checkered career since enrolling at Marquette last year.

From the start, Mayo had problems fitting into Marquette’s team-oriented system. Those around the program considered him to have an entitled attitude, partly because of his brother’s notoriety.

After playing well in the non-conference portion of the Golden Eagles’ non-conference schedule last season, Mayo basically disappeared during Big East play. He appeared on 35 games last year, averaging 7.9 points and 2.7 rebounds.

After the season, Williams sent Mayo home to Huntington, West Virginia, during the second summer semester and told him to think about whether he wanted to be part of the team.

In an interview with the Journal Sentinel last month, Mayo expressed remorse while saying he was not close to Williams during his freshman season. Mayo said he confided in all three of Williams’ assistants, who subsequently left the program. Mayo said he felt alienated and alone, but used the time at home to grow closer to Williams.

Mayo said he texted Williams every day and vowed last month to become a better teammate and a leader for Marquette.

"When those three coaches left, those were the guys I spoke to on a daily basis and through my hard times. I never really talked to Buzz," Mayo said at the time. "But when he sent me home, I decided to get closer to Buzz and build a close relationship.

"Those were the guys who recruited me and I talked to during the recruiting process. When I got on campus - I didn't get on campus until Aug. 28 - I didn't have time to build a relationship with Buzz. I just did what he said on the court and tried to do things off the court, but it was a fast transition.

"When you're on campus, you go through a lot of hard times and you need someone to talk to. But If I hadn't got sent home and built a relationship with Buzz, I probably wouldn't be here today."

Teammates and coaches had complained that Mayo was aloof and not willing to be a part of the team before Williams sent him home.

The loss of Mayo will be a factor on the Golden Eagles’ depth. Marquette will start three guards – Vander Blue, Junior Cadougan and Trent Lockett – in the season opener Friday night against No. 4 Ohio State aboard the deck of the USS Yorktown near Charleston, S.C., in the second annual Carrier Classic.

Mayo, who had played reasonably well in training camp, was scheduled to be a part of the rotation off the bench. The Golden Eagles will now have to find scoring support. But at the same time, their chemistry may be better with Mayo’s extended absence.

It's now apparent why Williams overloaded on guards while gathering his top-rated 2013 recruiting class. His latest signee was Jajuan Johnson, a highly regarded guard from Southwind High School in Memphis, Tenn.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/177389121.html

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [MJS Blog] Mayo ruled academically ineligible
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:07:41 AM »
Yeah...am I the only one offended by this? Basically writes off Mayo as a cancer and someone who's already as good as gone. Michael Hunt has done a lot to earn goodwill over the past month. In one fell swoop, he just tossed most of that right over the side of the USS Yorktown.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
Yeah...am I the only one offended by this? Basically writes off Mayo as a cancer and someone who's already as good as gone. Michael Hunt has done a lot to earn goodwill over the past month. In one fell swoop, he just tossed most of that right over the side of the USS Yorktown.

From the story, its hard to tell whether or not its mikehunt's opinion or Buzz/the Teams since no quotes.  (Although I'd hope neither Buzz or any of the team would ever say anything like this about another team member in public)  The line about Buzz sending Mayo home and telling him to think about if he wanted to be here, if true, is pretty telling.  Has anyone else heard this?

This also may be why Buzz is looking to over sign (pure speculation on my part) but if he doesn't think Mayo will be returning to the team, it would make since to have a plan. 

Granted, from his play on the court, i was pretty excited about Mayo so I hope everything works out and he can re-join the team. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »
Perhaps Hunt was a bit strong, but as someone who has worked in sports journalism for 40 years I thought his reporting was excellent.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »

You're assuming that Hunt is the one doing the writing off of Mayo, and not the sources he had for the story.  Truthfully, he doesn't write off Todd, he just reports that other players and coaches considered Mayo aloof and uninvolved with the team.  Todd's a complicated guy.  He may be promising in good faith more than he can deliver at this point.  (See last month's interview with Hunt.)  It's tough to spend the majority of your time concentrating on something you dislike or are uninterested in, in order to be allowed to do the thing that you love.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:38:31 AM »
Perhaps Hunt was a bit strong, but as someone who has worked in sports journalism for 40 years I thought his reporting was excellent.

Agree, I appreciated it and do enjoy the hard-hitting reporting.  I like that Mike Hunt has teeth.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
You're assuming that Hunt is the one doing the writing off of Mayo, and not the sources he had for the story.  Truthfully, he doesn't write off Todd, he just reports that other players and coaches considered Mayo aloof and uninvolved with the team.  Todd's a complicated guy.  He may be promising in good faith more than he can deliver at this point.  (See last month's interview with Hunt.)  It's tough to spend the majority of your time concentrating on something you dislike or are uninterested in, in order to be allowed to do the thing that you love.

It's the way it's written. The article constantly focuses on words like entitled, aloof, notoriety, And after mentioning the entitled comment, is it really necessary to later revisit it by calling him aloof? This article was written to make Todd look bad. The same information could have easily been written without slamming the kid's head into a wall repeatedly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
At some point can't MU and Mayo say it's just not in the cards? I can't see Buzz letting him go after developing a relationship with him, but at some point it just might be best for both parties. Not everyone is meant for school.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »

Brew - I side with you slightly on your opinion on Hunt's stance, however, I also see the merit in ecompts comment.

Listen, Buzz sent Mayo home this summer because he felt like there was disconnect between Mayo and his desire to be a part of the team (fact).  I know Buzz is incredibly perceptive, but my guess would be that if the coach was feeling something was off, his teammates had to be experiencing similar feelings.  

We always hear how close knit the MU bball family is.  When one member is not 110% committed, I would think it would impact the team (whether recognized or not).

As letdown and upset we as fans are, I would think Todd's teammates feel infinitely more pain & disappointment.

I don't think Hunt stepped over the line in the least bit with his comments.  It's a wasted (hopefully not entirely) opportunity.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
It's the way it's written. The article constantly focuses on words like entitled, aloof, notoriety, And after mentioning the entitled comment, is it really necessary to later revisit it by calling him aloof? This article was written to make Todd look bad. The same information could have easily been written without slamming the kid's head into a wall repeatedly.

On the whole, I still like ecompt and chapman's comments.  On the other hand, I have to think that a story like this is only going to make the challenge harder for Mayo.  I can't imagine what it would be like if during tough times in my life, I had to deal with this kind of exposure.  This is a big reminder to me of how different life becomes when you're a Division 1 athlete.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

I don't like articles that trash a college kid... but the article is factually correct ANNNNNNND if Todd doesn't want to see negative things written about him, he should hit the books.

I know that's a little cold, but at this point, that's the simple truth.

You need to own your behavior. - Dr. Phil.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:31 AM »
At some point can't MU and Mayo say it's just not in the cards? I can't see Buzz letting him go after developing a relationship with him, but at some point it just might be best for both parties. Not everyone is meant for school.

Exactly.  Time to move on. I like Mayo as a player and hopefully he will get it together and it works out for him, but it is time for the next guy in line to step up.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »

On the whole, I still like ecompt and chapman's comments.  On the other hand, I have to think that a story like this is only going to make the challenge harder for Mayo.  I can't imagine what it would be like if during tough times in my life, I had to deal with this kind of exposure.  This is a big reminder to me of how different life becomes when you're a Division 1 athlete.

I don't like articles that trash a college kid... but the article is factually correct ANNNNNNND if Todd doesn't want to see negative things written about him, he should hit the books.

I know that's a little cold, but at this point, that's the simple truth.

You need to own your behavior. - Dr. Phil.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.  Todd obviously has the talent, and I don't see any symptoms of an LD or "academic struggles" (as so termed in another thread).  What I see is a kid with some entitlement and motivation issues.  Listening to him speak during the tournament last year, he obviously has the cognition and observation abilities to pull off a 1.9 (or 1.8, whatever it may be); frankly, as has long been speculated/reported by more than several people, the issue seems to be with him having no desire the fulfill the first part of the student-athlete responsibility, i.e. not go to class.

Sure, we've all heard the stories where a professor won't give anything less than a C to someone who shows up to every class and turns in every assignment... Todd doesn't have to be that student, but he needs to be a lot closer to that than the kid who skips class the entire year hoping to pass the course by acing the final.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
Its on the front page of the worldwide leader.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8598226/todd-mayo-marquette-golden-eagles-academically-ineligible

I'm not too familiar with the NCAA regulations on Academics. Could this be because he screwed up midterms? And if so, could a strong showing in his finals make him eligible again?
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
Its on the front page of the worldwide leader.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8598226/todd-mayo-marquette-golden-eagles-academically-ineligible

I'm not too familiar with the NCAA regulations on Academics. Could this be because he screwed up midterms? And if so, could a strong showing in his finals make him eligible again?

I think that what Bilsu had to say in another thread makes sense.

I think there is only one way the NCAA would declare him academically ineligible at this point. That would be that he dropped classes, which results in him being below the minimum amount of required credits. I do not think NCAA looks at mid-term grades.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 09:23:17 AM »

You can only write what you're told.

If everyone in the program expressed nothing but love for Todd and supported him 100%, that's what Hunt would have reported.

The fact that Hunt reported things like "attitude" and "aloof" is because that's what those in the program were telling him.

And it starts from the top . . .Buzz's quote doesn't hold anything back:  "I'm extremely disappointed he's put himself in this position" doesn't leave much room for introspection.    Note he doesn't say "I'm disappointed we didn't support Todd enough"

This is not a GPA or Mid-terms issue.  MU hasn't issued grades since last May--if Todd was eligible to practice up to this point, then he'd be eligible to practice (and play in games) through the first day of the new semester, regardless of what his current semester GPA is.  

The issue is that he's dropped enough courses that he is no longer eligible.  Here's the rule:
14.1.8.1 Requirement for Practice. To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, a student- athlete shall be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading to a baccalaureate or equivalent degree as defined by the regulations of the certifying institution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »

You're shooting the messenger here, brew.

Story was well-written and well-reported. Obviously, Hunt was reporting what others inside the program -- probably starting with Buzz -- felt. It is not Hunt's job to make Mayo look good (or look less-bad). It's not a writer's job to protect his subject.

This "kid" is 22 years old, entitled and immature. If he just maintained a minimum of academic performance and team-first attitude, he would not have been the subject of this story. Mayo had the power to control all of this. Yet despite getting repeated chances to fix what was broken, he torpedoed himself. It's hard to whip up much sympathy for him.

And not to pile on, but ...

He was overrated. Completely disappeared the second half of last season. As competition improved, he shrank. This year's team could be hurt by a lack of outside shooting, and part of the reason I've said that is because I had little faith in Mayo being able to consistently step up.

If all that sounds cold, oh well. It's not my job to protect entitled, immature 22-year-olds, either.

Reason No. 100 why I'm glad we're "over-recruiting" for 2013!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback