'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Embiid to Visit Marquette  (Read 18801 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Embiid to Visit Marquette
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
Seriously people?  You want to kick Otule to the curb?  If he wants to come back you welcome him with open arms. A sixth year senior anchoring the post would be huge. Plus he is a wonderful teammate. Don't be so callous.

There are a number of scenarios. Someone leaves for academic or playing time reasons. Someone doesn't qualify. Someone doesn't sign their NLI. Buzz hasn't over signed before but now he might. By two. I'm sure there is a solid reason behind that decision.

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
Can someone post a link to where it says Embiid is visiting?  I haven't been able to find anything.

5993mcguirm

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
Bieberhole- you can't find anything about it because it's another one of paint touches' bogus reports.  Just like how Jajuan Johnson was REALLY CLOSE to committing to #MUBB back on October 12th.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
Bieberhole- you can't find anything about it because it's another one of paint touches' bogus reports.  Just like how Jajuan Johnson was REALLY CLOSE to committing to #MUBB back on October 12th.
5993 makes a good point.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
Bieberhole is still my favorite handle ever

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »
Bieberhole is still my favorite handle ever

And your avatar is still my favorite of all.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:55 PM »
There are a number of scenarios. Someone leaves for academic or playing time reasons. Someone doesn't qualify. Someone doesn't sign their NLI. Buzz hasn't over signed before but now he might. By two. I'm sure there is a solid reason behind that decision.

Agree completely. One way or another, there will be room.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »

It was brought up elsewhere before I ever started reading it from Marquette sites.

It's real enough that Florida fans are very irritated that they're not getting the last official visit from this kid.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
I wouldn't call rivals a bogus report...

"No," he said simply when asked if UF had an advantage. "I don't have any leaders. They say that because I'm so close (to Florida) but if I think Kansas, or Texas, or Virginia, or Florida, are best for me, that is the school I am going to choose."

Embiid heads to check out the Gators this weekend for his fourth official visit. Regardless of how that trip goes, it won't be his last.

With all but one of his trips under his belt after this weekend, Embiid said he plans to take one more.

"Marquette," he said. "I want to see them, too," adding that the visit to see the Golden Eagles is scheduled as of now for November 2-3.

The only way he'll make a decision then is if Marquette blows him away. If not, he'll take some time. But not too much.

"I want to sign early," Embiid added.

As he continues his way through his official visits and delves deeper into the recruiting process, Embiid says he can't really believe some of what he's been able to see so far.

"I'm ready to make my dream come true," he added. "It's kind of crazy."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
Bieberhole- you can't find anything about it because it's another one of paint touches' bogus reports.  Just like how Jajuan Johnson was REALLY CLOSE to committing to #MUBB back on October 12th.

Gee, Strotty did find a link and post in another thread.

http://virginia.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1426555

Embiid heads to check out the Gators this weekend for his fourth official visit. Regardless of how that trip goes, it won't be his last.

With all but one of his trips under his belt after this weekend, Embiid said he plans to take one more.

"Marquette," he said. "I want to see them, too," adding that the visit to see the Golden Eagles is scheduled as of now for November 2-3.

The only way he'll make a decision then is if Marquette blows him away. If not, he'll take some time. But not too much.

"I want to sign early," Embiid added.

So, I guess that this is just a false post from you.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

5993mcguirm

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
Well done.  Very glad he's coming for a visit.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
Well done.  Very glad he's coming for a visit.

:-*

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
Marquette doesn't "owe" any athlete any number of seasons. As we have seen over and over, scholarships are annual.

That being said, if Otule stays healthy and is as productive as I think he can be this season, why the heck wouldn't Marquette want a mature, 6-foot-11, shotblocking team leader for one more season?

What? We've had too many quality big men in recent years?
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Marquette doesn't "owe" any athlete any number of seasons. As we have seen over and over, scholarships are annual.

I think that's pretty horses**t way to look at Marquette Basketball scholarships. Now if a player comes to Milwaukee and has bad grades, doesn't work hard, gets into legal trouble I agree with you. But by all accounts Otule has been a great member of the program and is "owed" to be treated with integrity. It reminds me of the Mboa situation, kid moves across the world to come to college and Marquette decides they don't have a spot for him and send him packing. For a school who's tagline is "be the difference" I think it's extremely hypocritical. Buzz says when he's recruiting he talks about faith, family, and academics before basketball. Seems fraudulent

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:27:44 AM by esotericmindguy »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
I think that's pretty horses**t way to look at Marquette Basketball scholarships. Now if a player comes to Milwaukee and has bad grades, doesn't work hard, gets into legal trouble I agree with you. But by all accounts Otule has been a great member of the program and is "owed" to be treated with integrity. It reminds me of the Mboa situation, kid moves across the world to come to college and Marquette decides they don't have a spot for him and send him packing. For a school who's tagline is "be the difference" I think it's extremely hypocritical. Buzz says when he's recruiting he talks about faith, family, and academics before basketball. Seems fraudulent

There was a little more to the Mbao story than you portray.  Note that "doesn't work hard" is one of the circumstances by which you would agree to view a scholarship as annual in nature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »

Basketball at this level is a business.  If the kids really want to stay in school at Marquette I'm sure they aren't kicked out of school.  Their scholarship to play basketball is the only thing removed.   They had the opportunity to play basketball well, and they didn't.  Just like I'd lose my scholarship if I didn't perform well in my studies.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
yup...so you have to decide if you're going to give buzz the benefit of the doubt because like 99.9% of the world...we have no clue what truly played out in that situation. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »

There was a little more to the Mbao story than you portray.  Note that "doesn't work hard" is one of the circumstances by which you would agree to view a scholarship as annual in nature.

Ok, maybe I don't know the whole story. There are other examples but I don't want to steer this off course.

@Hards_Alumni: That's fine, then be up front about it. How many articles have I read that Buzz rarely talks basketball with parents. It's all about family, faith, and becoming a man. If you then pull a scholarship, or remove a scholarship then I believe that's fraudulent.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
Ok, maybe I don't know the whole story. There are other examples but I don't want to steer this off course.

@Hards_Alumni: That's fine, then be up front about it. How many articles have I read that Buzz rarely talks basketball with parents. It's all about family, faith, and becoming a man. If you then pull a scholarship, or remove a scholarship then I believe that's fraudulent.

It's a two-way street. Buzz will work hard for the player, if the player works hard for him.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »

When someone transfers I bet that Buzz does everything he can to help the kid land on his feet and end up at a school that is both a good situation for the kid and school. He most likely helped Mboa with his transfer to Marshall where he still will play basketball and graduate with a college degree.

Its not like Buzz just goes up to the kid and says: "hey you didn't perform the way we thought you would, see ya later and good luck" and thats that. I remeber reading something that says he still keeps in touch with Pat Hazel, so that says something about Buzz helping them out as people not just ballers.
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
If you then pull a scholarship, or remove a scholarship then I believe that's fraudulent.

I have very little doubt that recruits are made aware that they won't just be handed a scholarship for 4 years, but that they have to earn it and put in hard work for 4 years to continue earning it. Being handed a scholarship isn't the end of the requirement to work hard, it's the beginning of the requirement to work hard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

So, if I read this correctly, you are calling Buzz a fraud, saying that he misrepresents what he true priorities are regarding the players in his program.  Correct?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

Unfortunately, I'm with you on this one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
Okay...question for esoteric and LAZER: If my kid is admitted to Marquette on a full academic scholarship, then struggles to adapt, carries a 1.8 GPA, and is spending more time drinking and partying than studying, and Marquette pulls the scholarship that has a requirement written in that he maintain a 3.5 GPA, would you blame Marquette and say that they owe it to him and that the university was being fraudulent?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
Okay...question for esoteric and LAZER: If my kid is admitted to Marquette on a full academic scholarship, then struggles to adapt, carries a 1.8 GPA, and is spending more time drinking and partying than studying, and Marquette pulls the scholarship that has a requirement written in that he maintain a 3.5 GPA, would you blame Marquette and say that they owe it to him and that the university was being fraudulent?

No, but that's far from an apples-to-apples comparison.